Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Are Braided brake hoses worth it

Been searching on the forum to find out where to get braided hoses from and found quite a few quotes saying its barely worth the hassle.

I've got 312mm brakes on my corrado and I'm fed up with the total lack of inital bite. Jumping from the bora to the corrado is a knightmare! breath on the boras brake pedal and they come on nicely. Jump in the corrado and drive around and I touch the brakes and I have a panic as I need to go 1/4 travel before anything substantial happens.

I know its an old car and all that, just want intial bite to be better. What about some different pads as opposed to the brake hoses?

Cheers

T.

I've got ferodo pads and black dimond discs, the bites fantastic but you still get about 1/4 travel before you get any substantial braking power, I think its the way the brakes are set up on the corrado as opposed to the quality of them.

I've got braided hoses all round, 312's up front and Mk4 rears (with Mk3 GTI pads) and the top part of my pedal travel is pretty dead too.

The theory is that it's to do with the master cylinder size. Even as standard, the VR master cylinder doesn't feel too great, but apparently the G60 one feels better?

It's then made worse because of the bigger Mk4 callipers that have more fluid in them.

Apparently if you swap your master cylinder for a smaller one (G60 for example) then it'll help the initial bite on the pedal travel.

But I don't think anyone has tried it yet...

Agree with the comments about the g60 brakes. They are much better than the vr's. My Dad's g60 doesn't have ABS which I think helps.

Dont think i'll bother wasting any money on braided hoses. Saves the having to bleed the entire lot, which I hate doing with a passion.

Might try the 312mm setup on the bora when I finally get it chipped. Its already got the 288mm as standard so it would be an easy swap.

T.

I have Goodridge hoses on mine, and didn't notice any real difference. Bleeding the system through seems more tricky on these, I put 1.5 litres of fluid through mine before eventually getting a firm pedal.

The brake bias valve for the rear brakes can add alot of travel if not set up correctly. Did you adjust yours when you lowered it?

The brake bias valve for the rear brakes can add alot of travel if not set up correctly. Did you adjust yours when you lowered it?

Sorry to butt in here, but how do you go about adjusting the brake bias valve?

Officialy it's a VW dealer job, but I have adjusted mine on both my previous Golf GTIs and my Corrado. On a 16v there is a bracket attached to the rear beam with a spring connecting it to the bias valve. The bracket has an elongated hole for the spring attachment. Basically you would need reduce the tension on the spring to reduce the rear braking.

The VR6 is different, and I've never seen one, so hopefully someone with a VR will be able to help you more. If you do attempt it yourself, make sure you understand how it works and are confident in the adjustment you are making. It's job although probably not as much of an issue on ABS equipped cars is to stop the rear wheels locking under heavy breaking.

I'll tell you if braided hoses are worth it tomorrow!

But then, I wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for the fact that my original hoses were starting to perish, so faced with paying £40-50 for a set of VW ones, why not pay £70 for braided ones instead?

The other point is that if you fit Mk4 brakes (either front, or rear) then they use the new-style banjo connectors, instead of the screw-in types the Corrado and Mk2's use.

This means you need adapter hoses and the only ones you can get are braided.

So as I've got Mk4 front and rear callipers, I needed braided adapter hoses, so I figured I might as well spend the extra £5 or whatever to get the tiny mid hoses too.

I converted the rears on the wifes car,easiest option was to use a goodridge set of steel hoses for ease.

so the old car has mk4 calipers

and never a problem with the handbrake since.

I have Goodridge hoses on mine, and didn't notice any real difference. Bleeding the system through seems more tricky on these, I put 1.5 litres of fluid through mine before eventually getting a firm pedal.

Adjusted it very slighty when I lowered it and adjusted it again when I put the 312mm brakes on, as it started to squim a bit under heaving (I mean heavy) breaking after installing them. Little bit of adjustment and it was fine.

The rear bias may have something to do with it, but theres always a lot of travel anyway. Once I driven it for 5 minutes I'm used to it.

T.

but the handbrake doesn't use the hydraulic pipes...

Uses the caliper tho :wink:

but the handbrake doesn't use the hydraulic pipes...

Uses the caliper tho :wink:

Well er yeah :roll: :lol:

Braided hoses don't have much affect on it though...

Im under mine right now finally fitting mk4 callipers and obviously the goodrich braided converters. Also doing the braids on the front too so will let you know.

Agree with Dr Matt in that the handbrake does really affect the travel in my experience. And they dont allways self adjust too well like theyre surposed to!

I fear raddo brakes will allways feel dodgey though. My other halfs vento vr as awsome (standard) brakes compared to my C. Although hers is a 97 R and has the 288s as standard with whatever servo and cylinder they came with (both look quite different to mine!)

UNTIL I NICK THEM WHEN SHES NEXT AWAY ON A WORK TRIP!!!!

So what do you do to the handbrake to get less travel in the brake pedal?? Losen it, or tighten it up??

T.

The deadness in the pedal is something to do with the way the pedal operates the Master Cylinder. It's different on VR6s to the other cars. The larger MC in the VR also means that you require less effort but more travel.

I've got the 312s also with Ferodo DS2500 pads and they're phenomenal. Initial bite is pretty good too and the intitial bite issue isn't too bad I find when you get used to it. Over servo'd sharp brakes aren't always a good thing. I find they're sharp initially and fade like buggery when you really need them. The VR may feel dead initially but they do the business where it counts.

Over servo'd sharp brakes aren't always a good thing. I find they're sharp initially and fade like buggery when you really need them. The VR may feel dead initially but they do the business where it counts.

I agree, but it doesn't half make it difficult when you're constantly switching between cars with massively different brake feel..

Over servo'd sharp brakes aren't always a good thing. I find they're sharp initially and fade like buggery when you really need them. The VR may feel dead initially but they do the business where it counts.

I agree, but it doesn't half make it difficult when you're constantly switching between cars with massively different brake feel..

Totally agree with you there. My bora is just like that. Initial bite is excellent, but when you push them further they aren't that great. Corrado is totally opposite.

T.