Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

strange request

Has anyone got a pic of a 1996 passat ?....i've tried my favourite search (( google image )) and it's letting me down.

:? ...

I'm not sure what shape it is, they were alot more boxey at one stage.

oh...and a saloon one if poss :wink:

hmmmm..

was 1996 not the year that they changed the design to the more rounded one then?

oh..and good link dazzy cheers!...although the forums hardly buzzin! :lol:

I think 97 R plates were the cut off year tbh. Grade a has the previous shape (96 shape), although the last one did have diff bumpers and minor lifts and tucks.

The older ones are bullet proof reliable though. I'd actually prefer the older shape if you want a reliable hack thats essentially made of golf mk2 bits with a little raddo switch gear thrown in. I had a gt one and it was just like a big golf gti to drive, felt nice and tight and that had 165,000 on!

I may even have some spares if you do get one!

Cheers Nick, i'm going to look at a Tdi with 120k miles tommorow, brand new MOT, cambelt change, blah blah blah , they want £850, seems like a sensible buy to me...i'm gonna be doing alot of motorway miles, I reckon a tdi would be ideal for that.

Cant fault your logic there mate. Not sure if that will be a 1.6 or 1.9tdi. Either way it wont be as swift as the current 1.9deisals they use, but will still have torque and lots of mpg!

The heads are expensive, or more so than the petrols. So check the oil/water head gasket areas well bud. Check for damp carpets at the front also, as they are even more prone to leaves in the bulkhead collecting and stopping water escaping, which then runs down behind the fuse box and caused me loads-a-greif.

Strong old brutes though, and really quite nice to drive. IMO

Sweet, 90bhp then think, but lots more torque.

Mobi is 07841347629 if you want to call, not sure how much use i'll be but you never know so feel free if you want to.

If it makes you feel any more confident. I ran a c reg jetta tdi 1.6 whilest looking at C's. I paid £100 for it with a yrs mot and it had 321,000 miles on.

Best bit, 1 owner, head never been off, on its second clutch (first did 265,000) and it was still on its original turbo.

It was a dam site more reliable than my C thats for sure!

i had an Audi 80TDi at one point - the 1.9TDi

bought it with full history and 163,000 miles on the clock, never skipped a beat in the 7 months i owned it and usually returned 700 miles to £45 worth of fuel :D

slow as fudge though, had the torque, but my it was slow.

Actually, my 'rat is the pre-facelift 35i (B3 as it's known here) - the shape changed at '93 to the facelifted B4, then changed again to the newer shape at R-reg.