Sign in to follow this  
pacificshack

Getting the most out of a 1.8 16v KR

Hi

I have a standard 1.8 16v KR engine in my 90 Corrado.

Want to know how I can squuze more out of it.

Spark plugs, leads, filters, I don't know!

Ideas? I'm sure it's been done so many times before!

Thanks

Nitrous!

I think with the KR engine, some Schrick cams, porting and polishing the head, decent air filter and exhaust should do...

Remember, the aim with tuning is always to get more air in, and get it in and out as fast as possible, and get it burnt as efficiently as possible...

Hi

I have a standard 1.8 16v KR engine in my 90 Corrado.

Want to know how I can squuze more out of it.

Spark plugs, leads, filters, I don't know!

Ideas? I'm sure it's been done so many times before!

Thanks

the very first step would be a check on the condition of the ignition system, compression and fuel system and then a rolling road tune up by someone who knows the K-jet system, decent fuel and a good setup of a standard car can provide approaching 150bhp on a non-cat KR.

Then look at headwork and a 2L block, cams are a personal preference thing, as they tend to just shift the power band around rather than actually increase overall performance. KR cams are actually a pretty good compromise for a 1.8 or 2L road car.

David.

I agree with David's comments.

For road use I would stick with KR spec cams. Mine is a 2.0 16v, with head work done by myself!!

Look at my signature for spec and power.

all of the above plus strip it out!

most cost efective upgrade(cost nout) you can do

if you not bothered about having couple of lightweight buckets and nothing else with loads of noise than thats the way to go

get rid of what you dont need should be like gaining 25 bhp

Do a search for firebreather Mr Henny describes how it works.

Kr cam is cheaper to do though

The wifes standard Kr puts out 144bhp instead of 136 it should.

chubbz

If you're new to driving 16v's, make sure you are keeping the revs up when you drive her too, might make you feel you don't need to bother doing anything modification wise. Had mine for a while unitl I realised you need to rag it a bit to get the most of them, as they 'breathe' so well. Feels a bit like your thrashing it, but they love it!

If you're new to driving 16v's, make sure you are keeping the revs up when you drive her too, might make you feel you don't need to bother doing anything modification wise. Had mine for a while unitl I realised you need to rag it a bit to get the most of them, as they 'breathe' so well. Feels a bit like your thrashing it, but they love it!

Is that actually true ( No means to question your knowledge butit's the first time I've heard that! )

Is that actually true ( No means to question your knowledge butit's the first time I've heard that! )

Well, it's my personal experience of 8 years owning my 16v Corrado, and other 16v owners have confirmed it (see above). Trust me, rag the arse off it, they love. Too many people shy away form the 16v as if it's a leper compared to the VR. They're both great rewarding cars in their own way, they just need different driving techniques. Go on, rag it, you know you want to!

Totally agree

My last car was a Golf mk2 8v, this car was pretty quick from little revs,

Goin to a 16v was very hard, i found it hard revvin it so much, but I havent got that fear now, lol

like davidwort says have it set-up properly first. may also pay to check the cam timing, the keyway in the top cam wheel can shear off, making the car run out of time. belive me, this is a common problem. had a replacement engine put in my 1.8 a while back, and when we got around to fitting the new cam belt we couldn't get it to line up, once we took the rocker cover off and saw the cams were out of line, we just replaced the top cam wheel and it went like stink. if you are new to 16valvers and are not aware of this, then they can feel like a bag of crap. if it's gone it should feel gutless and won't pull for all the revving in the world. it may also take a while to start up and splutter a few times when it does.

i'd check it, i've just bought a new 16v and although it feels fine, i'm still gonna check, could lose mega-BHP rom this.

once thats checked, get yourself a high flow panel filter, don't drill the airbox, instead ,make a direct feed from behind the grille into a hole in the airbox as i reckon this works better and doesn't sound as bad.

then, a flowed head! £255 brand new on ebay, by some company,but i don't know how good they are.

like davidwort says have it set-up properly first. may also pay to check the cam timing, the keyway in the top cam wheel can shear off, making the car run out of time. belive me, this is a common problem. had a replacement engine put in my 1.8 a while back, and when we got around to fitting the new cam belt we couldn't get it to line up, once we took the rocker cover off and saw the cams were out of line, we just replaced the top cam wheel and it went like stink. if you are new to 16valvers and are not aware of this, then they can feel like a bag of crap. if it's gone it should feel gutless and won't pull for all the revving in the world. it may also take a while to start up and splutter a few times when it does.

i'd check it, i've just bought a new 16v and although it feels fine, i'm still gonna check, could lose mega-BHP rom this.

Exactly wot happened to mine!

Car made 120bhp on rollers,fixed the camwheel,then got 162bhp!!!

Thanks for this chaps.

She is still in the garage at the moment having a knocking noise sorted out. They thought it was the gearbox so they took it off, stripped it down and hey! can't find anything wrong.

It's coming from the front right. They did replace the CV joint, but it seems to be OK. Any ideas? Struts mounts are fine too.