Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

As lots of people seem to be going down this path and are/will be asking similar questions I've stickied this and updated the title ;)

-dinkus

Beginneth the thread...

==============

Can someone tell me the ins and outs of how to fit one?

What parts are required?

I know the loom needs changing, but does it use the VR ecu, ar 24v ecu? Does it bypass the immobiliser circuit? Do ALL of the VR ancillaries fit the 24v? Do I need to replace any?

Due to my engine being fecked, Im looking into this conversion seriously. Ive tried to contact Phatvr6, but he hasnt got back to me.

can anyone offer some advice please?

cheers dudes 8)

Is it not possible to mount the standard OBD1 VR6 sensors to the 24v engine and just get it remapped?

Genuine question, I don't know the answer...

Might be easier than having to change the whole loom and clocks etc etc..

dr_mat yes it can be done but has to be the later VR coil pack

as for the throttle body you just make up a bracket for the cable to sit and use a Vr throttle body

i found this out asking Vince as he didnt see a prob mapping a VR ECU to a 24v

oh and for the flap control he can get away with using a VTEC control

Other thing I wanted to ask is does the VR exhaust marry up to the 24v, ie am I going to need a new exhaust manifold, and I've heard there are problems with the clearance of the heat shield.

nope U need to use the top half of the 24v lump and get the bottom half made up good excuse for a stainless steel jobies ;) and a good flex joint to mate up to the original system

Also on the mount side Ive been told you cant mount it perfectly in there and even so it sits slightly wrong

Well I guess it was being a bit too hopeful that it would just be THAT easy.

Oh well, I've bought it now, so I'll have a go at fitting it myself.

sadly no engine conversion is ever going to be easy :( everything has its down side sadly :(

but going by what Ive read its meant to be worth it once its done :D good luck

It is easy :-)

Can I angle grind your bonnet? :-)

It is easy :-)

Can I angle grind your bonnet? :-)

I may let you do mine :lol:

Fitting a 24v.... mmmm i remember that!

Fitting any modern engine in an older car all depends on how perfectly you want everything to work.

As I was explaining to Coxy the other day there are advantages to fitting the entire wiring loom that you would never realise

until you did it. For example, when I open the door of the car, the fuel pump primes! This is standard on a MK4 golf, but this would

not happen if you just fitted the engine loom, spliced into the Corrado loom. Fair enough its not a major thing, but its there for

a reason. Its all these little things that add up to mean that every morning, no matter how cold/hot it is the car starts first turn of the key.

If you are happy with it "just working" then fair enough....

So the 24v.... its not difficult to fit "physically" by any means. You need to modify the front mount bracket slightly to clear the oil cooler, but basically it fits on the VR mounts

You can use a VR flywheel and clutch along with an 02A VR gearbox. Easy peasy

Thats the lump sat in place.

You will have to mod the front engine mount to lower the front of the block a touch (not on the R32) and remove one of the brace bars under the bonnet if you want the proper cover on and

to keep some clearance.

The exhaust downpipe needs to basically be made from scratch, just using the two flanges at the top as a start point.

I fitted the water system as it is in the MK4, but used a VR6 rad and main waterhousing. You can use all VR stuff, but again with the complete loom in place, I wanted the connectors in the right place

too.

If you keep the air-con there is a whole load more stuff (too much to write about now), but one of the main things is cutting a section out of the front crossmember.

Again I fitted the entire Mk4 brake system which meant mounting all the master cylinder, servo, ABS unit, pipework, sensors etc.. I also mounted the MK4 clutch pedal assembly and clutch Master cylinder.

The fly by wire throttle has to be mounted inside by welding the bracket to the Corrado pedal box.

You need run all the looms through. We welded in most of the MK4 firewall so that the original MK4 seal on the loom (great big single piece thing) worked properly and mounted as it would in the MK4.

I also ran all the loom around for the lights, wipers etc.. all MK4. So no old Corrado loom at all.

I could go on forever to be honest as I remember stuff I did, but there is so much you forget its unreal.

The only way to find out is by doing it, obviously anyone doing it will come across the same issues, so ask and I am sure I will remember then!! :)

Hope that gives you some idea.

Jay

Yeah but you're not doing it to that extent ! You just want the lump!

Agree entirely with the reliability and factory fit and finish aspects....

Aye, but I have no access to welding equipment, I'm going to have to get a load of tools to do this as well. Guess this is the way to learn how to install an engine.

I somehow envisage my C being off the road for a long long time.

Sell me the engine then as I have access to a VW garage at the weekends and a VW mechanic mate who's already done a 20vt conversion to his C :wink:

Dutch

:lol:

At a mark-up profit of course? ;)

Edit (to clarify) ... profit for XBones ;)