Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

Not running right after running out of petrol

I ran out of petrol yesterday like a total idiot. No excuses, I was just completely daydreaming for about half and hour. Bad habit of mine. Once I left work to go somewhere and drove halfway home on autopilot before realising I should be going the other way. Anyway, now my Vr6 is running really rough. Idle problems & hesitant on the throttle. I am sure it sounds really rough as well, a bit raspy and boomy. I gather this is likely to be a fuel system problem. I have got a new filter which I will try later and some Redex, not sure about that stuff though. Failing that am I looking at the fuel pump? Any easy tests to try to isolate the problem?

Seems like the rubbish in the bottom of your fuel tank theory must be correct. I've run out loads of times before in other cars (see above) and never had a problem, none quite as old as my rado though.

Cheers

Chris

I'm sure I remember reading something about it being very unlikely that it's down to 'rubbish' in the bottom of the tank .... forget why though....

well the fuel is filtered at the refinery and at the petrol station,and the fact that the corrado petrol tank is plastic,so you shouldnt get any crud in your tank

Swap the filter anyway ...

You may also have sucked some air up into the fuel lines, so you may just have to wait for that to blow out the system before it sorts itself out.

dazzyvr6, I know what your saying but there is still a huge amount of crud that makes it's way thru - next time you change your fuel filer try hacksawing it open - you'll be changing it at least once a year from that point on!!

It's actually a combination of fuel and water that causes the grief.

Ahem,

All cars will collect a certain amount of water in the fuel tank due to condensation etc. At the fuel/water layer a bacteria called Gladis (cladosporium resinae) and others thrive because they digest the hydrocarbons in the fuel.

After a hearty meal they do what all organisms do - they take a great big crapola; this results in the 'crud' in your fuel tank. It is possible to add chemicals to the fuel to prevent this but it is ususally not 'environmentally sound' and would certainly make the fuel from the pumps very toxic to the general public.

So the solution for car users is to fit a filter and get it changed every once in a while. Thats where the 'sludge' comes from and not the cut of the fuel in the tanks at the service station.

Anyone still breathing? :wink:

So what your sayiung Yandards some little buggers are eating out fuel and then as a way of thanks taking a quick dump in are fuel tanks. :lol:

dazzyvr6, I know what your saying but there is still a huge amount of crud that makes it's way thru - next time you change your fuel filer try hacksawing it open - you'll be changing it at least once a year from that point on!!

havent changed mine once in the 4 years ive had the corrado :wink:

I had my fuel filter changed last month at gwerks. darren mentioned that the fuel filter was original.. i thought he just meant it was a VW one, but he meant it was original! with 13 years worth of very thick very black Gladis sh!te in it!

it seems to run a whole lot better now btw!

Yeah, they are supposed to be a lifetime part, but I changed mine as soon as I bought each raddo as when I changed the first one (( 86k mile 8v )) I cut the old one open and the shcitt in there was unbelievable. For the sake of a few quid I can't see why VAG call it a " lifetime part "

my first thought when i read the post was to change the fuel filter, and after reading what the others have said, it is still to change the fuel filter.

So what your sayiung Yandards some little buggers are eating out fuel and then as a way of thanks taking a quick dump in are fuel tanks. :lol:

Yup got it in one Woody.

I've given the car a good shakedown today (30 miles+) and it is much better w/ a new filter but still a little rough on idle. It was perfect before. I had problems when I first got the car but after a good service I haven't had a stall (that was the car's fault!) for 6 months or so.

Any tests that can be done on the accumulator other than replacing it?

If the fuel pump is quiet can this be assumed to be okay?

Chris