Sign in to follow this  
markievw

brakes for vr6?

hi

The front brakes on my corrado are in need of renewing. What upgrades/mods would you recommend? I am running the standard 15'' vr6 alloys.

I think the calipers may also need renewing as the seals are perishing

thanks in advance of your replies

mark

288mm are the biggest brakes you can fit under standard 15" wheels and can be pinched off any late (rounded side repeaters) Mk3 GTI/VR6. With some spacers on the carrier->hub bolts you can use the 288mm brakes from any Mk4 Golf (not 4 Motion or R32).

The disks are only 8mm bigger than the VR6 ones, but the callipers are substantially bigger :)

hi

cheers for that, how much would you be looking for a set of 288mm discs, pads and calipers. How much do they improve the feel of the braking. Do you have to mod anything else like brake hoses etc..

mark

Braking feel - the same as it is now.

Braking power - considerably better.

You may be able to use the Mk3 hoses (not sure about the length), but I'd go for some Goodridge adapter hoses. I don't know if they do Mk2->Mk3 adapter hoses, but if not, the Mk2->Mk4 hoses will almost fit.

If the callipers have come off a Mk3, then you'll need coarser thread banjo bolts (you can get them online for about £3.50 each), if they come off a Mk4 then the Goodridge kit will fit straight away.

With some spacers on the carrier->hub bolts you can use the 288mm brakes from any Mk4 Golf (not 4 Motion or R32).

I have just picked up some mk4 288mm calipers. Does anyone have any details on exactly whats spacers are needed to make them fit- plus can I buy these spacers or do I just cobble something together when I get round to fitting them? Plus will it be obvious how much 'spacing' is required

Edit- I also have the Mk4 carriers as well- will these be OK as long I use the 288mm highline discs? I read one post on the forum thats says the MK4 carriers are different to the MK3 highline ones :cry:

Cheers for any help (I always get a bit nervous with stuff that isn't a straight 'off the shelf' part)

Mike

I've just got three 2mm washers, to give the desired spacing, on each bolt. You could try and get a solid 6mm washer which would make it a neater job.

T.

I've just got three 2mm washers, to give the desired spacing, on each bolt. You could try and get a solid 6mm washer which would make it a neater job.

Cheers for that mate- I'll try and see what I can get.

thats what i thought, you just need the 6mm spacers if your putting on the 312mm discs?? is that right ??

no you don't. 288's go straight on.

I think as long as you get the Mk3 disks, they go straight on. I was under the impression that all Mk4s had a differen hub offset to the Corrado/Mk3s? (could well be wrong tho).

And there's a wiki article on fitting 312s...

mmm you see I got them off Ebay and actually get the discs too. Is the choice then use the mk4 discs with spacers or use the mk3 288mm ones.

Its kind of academic cos I am buying some new mk3 ones anyway- so I have a pair of part worn mk4 discs in the unlikely event anyone wants them?

Cheers

Use Highline 288s as mentioned and you won't need spacers. There are a few different part numbers for 288 discs and it's because of the the different offsets as Dinkus said.

They fit behind RCs and RXs with about 1.5cm to spare (from the spokes) so it's fairly tight. That's based on brand new pads and discs where the caliper will be furthest away from the hub.

I think they will clear the RSs as MoonlightVR had 312s on his car.

OK- One last question on this from me..

Are the mk3 288's the same as the mk4 288s?

Only reason I ask is I know the Mk3 288's must fit behind solitudes, but I have had a look at the 280's on my Storm and they seem a pretty tight fit as it it is- are these mk4 288's definitely gonna fit behind them?

I thought I had better ask before ordering the pagid FR's, new discs and hoses!

Thanks

The MK4 288's definately fit behind the speedlines, so one would assume the same is true for the solitudes...

Clearance is virtually identical for the 280 & 288 calipers. The 288's are a different design entirely & yes, they will definitely fit behind Solitudes.

If anything, the 288's protrude out into the spokes less that the 280's do.

Anyone know if the 312s will fit under RS301s or is 288 the biggest you can go?

A friend of mine has the 312s fitted behind his RS301s without any problems. It's a tight fit, but who cares, it fits and it's a beautiful combination! :D

Yep the 288s fit behind all of the 5x100 VW wheels.

The bonus of the 312s is they are 6mm further inboard than the 288s, so gives you even more clearance :thumb right:

312s behind 16s look superb, really fill the wheel perfectly and they are massively better than both the 288s and 280s.

The 288s on the Mk3 are the same as the Mk4 ones, but the callipers have a different size thread for the banjo bolt (i.e. the one in the Mk2->Mk4 Goodridge adapter kit won't fit). Take a look at my footnote on the 312mm brake KB article for exactly what you'll need.

Otherwise, yes the 288's will fit behind Solitudes because they're what the Highlines had and they do fit. You won't get a gnat's testicle between the wheel and the calliper, but it does fit :lol:

As for fitting 312s behind 16s - take a look at Kev's sig to see what they look like :evil:

Have you skimmed yours down yet Radostormvr6?

Not yet,could'nt use ramp at work, hopefully next weekend.

Got to get one of the RCs painted again this week as the tyre fitter chipped it. :cry: