Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Uprated batteries (Optima tc etc)

Spoke to the guy again today. full price list coming up, along with recommended batteries for our cars. hoping to kick this off VERY soon now.

6. Can you trickle charge an OPTIMA? Solar card charger?

Yes, you can use any charger on an OPTIMA as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current.

taken from http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/ ... /home.html

yes i agree but thats keeping topped up not charging a flat battery.

also taken from optima site

note the voltage for the charger and thats your problem most are not that high

The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life: (Always use a voltage regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.)

34 & 34R - 34/78 - 6V - 25 & 35 - 75/25

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:

13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Rapid Recharge:

Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).

Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature

Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:

13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

To charge the OPTIMA® 6V-1050, six volt battery, divide the charge voltage setting in half.

All limits must be strictly adhered to.

Safety Information:

Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.

Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.

Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

If these are gel batteries, what exturbo2003 is saying is correct about not using a standard charger. Same applied to my motorcycle gel battery, i tried charging it with a standard charger and it just killed the internals and the battery wouldnt hold no charge at all.

You need to use a charger specified for gel batteries, I have an optimate 3, says on the box "suitable for gel batteries" also i remember when buying this seeing chargers which had warnings on them saying not suitable for gel batteries.

I think you probably could get away with charging it from the alternator though

The red top is £149 on their site. I'm hoping for at least 10% off that.

Phat, which red top...is this for the

OP/RT-R4.2

Optima Red Top 12v 50ah 815CCA ??

I have a price of £132.63 round my way for this particular one...maybe cheaper in bulk.

UPDATE:

Contacted a local(ish) dealer and he came up with this :

"The Optima RT-R4.2 is not a normal stock item (we usually carry the RT-S4.2). Delivery times aren’t usually too bad at around 7-10 working days. Below are prices as follows –

1x RT-R4.2 @ £112.88

Optima 12v 50Ah

15 x RT-R4.2 @ £90.30 each

Optima 12v 50Ah

The prices quoted are subject to VAT at current rate and based on a one off order of the above quantities. We can also offer a free of charge delivery service, if this helps."

So, without wanting to hijack anything, what do you think? If you think this s a good deal, I'll get back to him.

OK don't really want to start a new thread regarding this but I would have thought that this is a good buy... PhatVR6, let me know what you think..

I think cos of my desperation timescale wise, I m gonna have to go with it anyway.

The RT-R4.2 appears to have the +ve and -ve terminals reversed, which may be why it's a non-stock item. The RT-S4.2 is the same battery in the standard configuration.

Is there a reason you want the reversed-terminal version?

There's a link to that site on page three. The prices STORM 2 was quoted are a bit lower. I'm still interested in an RT-S4.2 as part of a group buy.

TBH, I think the RT-S4.2 is probably the one to go for, unless someone has a flux capacitor installed and need that 1.21 giga watts...

The RT-R4.2 appears to have the +ve and -ve terminals reversed, which may be why it's a non-stock item. The RT-S4.2 is the same battery in the standard configuration.

Is there a reason you want the reversed-terminal version?

Its been said the standard cables dont reach the optima terminals. Turn the battery round, reverse the terminals and it should fit. Hopefully.

his automated emal said this:-

I will be out of the office starting 06/02/2006 and will not return until

13/02/2006.

I shall be on holiday so please contact the office for any urgent matters.

so that's tomorrow ??

I'll have to ring him, email doesn't seem to be the way he works!