Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Uprated batteries (Optima tc etc)

The RT-R4.2 appears to have the +ve and -ve terminals reversed, which may be why it's a non-stock item. The RT-S4.2 is the same battery in the standard configuration.

Is there a reason you want the reversed-terminal version?

Its been said the standard cables dont reach the optima terminals. Turn the battery round, reverse the terminals and it should fit. Hopefully.

Hmmm, if the part about the reversed terminals has been said I must have missed it. It seems you're right though - the reversed terminal battery installed backwards would appear to require a little less battery lead.

I think, given the choice, that I'd still rather get the standard configuration and use it as an excuse to re-make the cables in the engine bay. I must be sick.

The cables *do* reach the standard Optima posts, I've got one in my car.

They're further forward (towards headlight) than regular batteries but there should be enough slack in the cables. There was in my VR's loom. The only loom I had to lengthen was the uprated headlight one, but that was stupidly short even with a standard battery anyway.

Well whats going on with this GB ?

Any updates ?

Well I found another supplier (Phat's supplier seems to have gone AWOL)

see page 5

I'm going to have to go it alone soon anyway, but if anyone wants details of the prices shown let me know

If you'd bee reading the updates you'd have seen exactly what's been happening.

The guy got back of his holiday on monday and has just emailed me again. He won't give any indiaction of discount unless I give him numbers. So I had a quick count up and got to around 20 buyers off this thread. I can open it to other forums so the number will go a lot higher than that.

I have just told him 20 minumum so I am now waiting for his reply. Sorry it's took so long, I was expecting the whole process to be a lot easier than this, I've done a group buy before with a single phone call......

I'm afraid, like the engine mount group buy, I can wait no longer. Having to charge the battery every night just to get two starts out of it has gone on for long enough. STORM 2, any chance of a discount for two? :) By all means post the details of the supplier you contacted.

I'm afraid, like the engine mount group buy, I can wait no longer. Having to charge the battery every night just to get two starts out of it has gone on for long enough. STORM 2, any chance of a discount for two? :) By all means post the details of the supplier you contacted.

I don't have the details of the supplier with me at the moment but will post them up later if you like. TBH I don't think there will be an appreciable discount for two (!) but there's no harm in asking him I suppose

Prices

1x RT-R4.2 @ £112.88

15 x RT-R4.2 @ £90.30 each

Prices are plus VAT but include free delivery.

No offence to Phat's group buy, but as you can see from the prices its a shame we can't make use of the £22 discount if we had another 13 interested.

£22 + VAT!

The nearest Optima dealer to me is in Thetford - a good hour or so drive. I was gonna give 'em a call on Monday and see what they can do. I'll definitely be ordering a battery early next week whether it's as a part of the group buy or from some dealer. I'm beyond desperate.

The prices STORM 2 has got are very competitve. To be honest PhatVR6, I doubt you're going to beat it by enough to be worth the wait. I just got a quote for an RT-S4.2 from my closest dealer and it was £154.52 delivered - ouch - that's £22 more than the single unit price from STORM 2.

Maybe the group buy could still go ahead with the dealer offering them at £90.30 + VAT? It'd be handy but if it's going to cause trouble I'll just buy from my local dealer and swallow the extra £48.42 it's going to cost me over the 15 units price :(

well, the lower prices you can find the more he has to beat!

if he can't beat it (and I can't how anyone can be cheaper than him seeing as he's the sales manager for optima batteries!) then it's his loss. (well, not really as we'll buy them anyway from one of his dealers)

Just for the record, I'm out of this group buy as it's been dragging on for too long. I just ordered an Optima RT-S4.2 for £132 delivered, which is more than I wanted to pay, but needs must.

My battery was flat this morning, not sure why at the moment (possible starte motor issues). Hence I could be in need of a new battery very soon, so any progress is eagerly awaited :)

Audioscape got wind of this GB and said they'd be more than happy to do a GB if this one doesn't work out.

They also sell Northstar batteries http://www.northstarbattery.com/engine_start.php too which are ULTRA hardcode! There's a clip on their site somewhere of one of their batteries being blasted with a shotgun, and then put in a truck which then starts and drives off!!!

well, I'm getting absolutely no response from this guy.

I'm going ti email him one last time, and maybe one phone call, and if he's not going to play ball then we'll see what your boys can do.

if he can't beat it (and I can't how anyone can be cheaper than him seeing as he's the sales manager for optima batteries!) then it's his loss. (well, not really as we'll buy them anyway from one of his dealers)

Fair play phat for making the effort but if this guy cant be bothered to get back to you and sell us some batteries maybe we should consider the northstar batterys audioscape can provide?

I was all up for buying a optima But this is dragging a bit..

I really don't mind getting the Scape involved if this GB hits a dead end.

They do Optimas as well as those Northstars. TBH the Northstars are probably a bit too extreme and expensive, but I'll get prices anyway.

My battery was flat yesterday morning, too.. If you have a flat battery (i.e. car won't start), check the voltage across the terminals with a multimeter. Anything less than about 11v means the battery is probably fubar and won't recover even if you charge it carefully. Anything 11v or above means it just needs a good charge, most likely.

The open circuit voltage, measured when the engine is off. It can be approximately related to the charge of the battery by:

Open Circuit Voltage ~ State-of-charge

12.65 V 100 %

12.45 V 75 %

12.24 V 50 %

12.06 V 25 %

11.89 V 0 %

Just FYI.

Note that car batteries will not last long if they are deep-discharged. Sulphation occurs, rendering those areas of the electrodes effected useless for charge carrying. They are designed to operate best and last longest with continuous trickle charge, so that the state of charge is always kept high. There are other designs of battery that DO survive this type of treatment, but they usually can't deliver the very heavy starting current that a car requires, so we're stuck with what we have, on the whole.