willg

VR6 correct steering rack

hi

i have just bought a replacement steering rack for my 95 VR6, it is from a vr6 golf/vento, i was told by my local vw garge that they are the same.

can anyone tell me if 152 422 055k is the correct steering rack for me

thanks

Willg

thanks for the link, so what i understand the 192 422 055 k, is a slighlty older rack ie from the golf/vento vr6 and has slight more lock, the 192 422 062,

the 1H2 422 061A is a C vr6 identical but slightly less lock. both will fit ?

as well as PhatVR6 is there anyone else that has suyccesfully installed the gold rack.

also how long an how fiddly is it to install - i am tempted with the instruction on the knowledgebase

sorry just read what i wrote - doesnt make sense!!!!

so what i understand the 192 422 055 k, is a slighlty older rack ie from the golf/vento vr6 and has slight more lock, the 192 422 062,

i meant

so what i understand the 192 422 055 k, is a slighlty older rack ie from the golf/vento vr6 and has slight more lock.

Its been a long day

So long as it's ZF and for the MK3 plus axle cars, it'll fit. Inner arch clearance may differ from the "1H2..." corrado rack tho.

don't quote me but i think the vw garage said the ZF is for a left hand drive,

the one i have is XTR

it better not be the wrong one - i hate sending things back!!!

Hmmm... I'd be interested to know if certain racks have less lock than others as I am having problems with wheel rubbage on IC pipe work when on full... I also may neeed to go down the new column and rack route fairly soon also...

Hmmm... I'd be interested to know if certain racks have less lock than others as I am having problems with wheel rubbage on IC pipe work when on full... I also may neeed to go down the new column and rack route fairly soon also...

The rubbing probably has more to do with the offset of your rims then the PS rack. I know my tires rub the innside of the wheelwell when I do a U-Turn but this is only at full lock.

I run a 205/45/16 tire with a 7.5" rim with a 35et offset. If I ran a ET of 30-25 the tire would sit out further and not rub the inside of the wheelwell but it might rub the lip on the fender.

just like to say 152 422 055k is definately the correct steering rack for a RHD corrado vr6 95, these steering racks have USA written on them which kinda sounds like it should be left hand drive but it isn't

I am currently right in the middle of steering rack investigations and can definatively say that the lock of some racks is slightly different. However this is actually determined mainly by the track rods and not the rack. The later cars with larger tyres (205's) came with inner track rod ends which had a "limited" travel by having a bigger diameter which didn't travel into the end of the rack and as such limited the lock. I have this in writing from a VW tech manual.

Hope that makes sense.

jay

I've just bought a rack and told it came from a 95 VR. Mine is a 95 VR as well.

Am sure my original rack had trw written on it, (might have been ZF, but can't remember)

the new one says xtr usa on it, which my original didn't, i remember that much

Could it be the X denotes exchange and the TR denotes it was a TRW unit that’s now been rebuilt by a third party?

I've just bought a rack and told it came from a 95 VR. Mine is a 95 VR as well.

Am sure my original rack had trw written on it, (might have been ZF, but can't remember)

the new one says xtr usa on it, which my original didn't, i remember that much

Like this one........this is a scrapper I have which I removed from the car years ago because it was leaking. Now it's in a box under my bench for no explicable reason. It does say USA XTR on it though!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94885[/ATTACH]