Sign in to follow this  
mo_527

corrado's

Hello very one i have a few quick question. Does any one know the bhp on a standard G60, 1.8 16V and 2.0 16v and which would be the best to buy and not too hard to maintain?

Thanks.

Maintenance wise either one of the valvers would be easier, beings as with the g60 you have to service the supercharger and it's costly.

G60 = 158bhp

1.8 16v = 136 bhp

2.0 16v = 136 bhp

Keep looking, you'll find one!

Cheers mate, but i would have thought th 2.0 16v was a bigger engine and would have had more bhp then the 1.8 16v, would i be better off buying the 1.8 cus it might be slightly cheaper on the petrol?

Nah there aint that much difference actually mate, if anything the 2.0 is slower but has more torque low down.

Petrol wise they are practically the same.

Everybody goes on about how G60's cost much more because of the charger needing rebuilt but to be honest it only needs rebuilt every couple of years, a charger rebuild is only £400 so if you divide that up per month, it works out at not very much! And the extra torque is definatley worth it in my opinion! G60's are very "fun" to drive!

Maintenance wise either one of the valvers would be easier, beings as with the g60 you have to service the supercharger and it's costly.

G60 = 158bhp

1.8 16v = 136 bhp

2.0 16v = 136 bhp

Keep looking, you'll find one!

*cough* 160bhp *cough*.............US spec G60's IIRC only give 158bhp

Cheers mate, but i would have thought th 2.0 16v was a bigger engine and would have had more bhp then the 1.8 16v, would i be better off buying the 1.8 cus it might be slightly cheaper on the petrol?

the 2.0 16v will have slightly better fuel economy too,as the 1.8 really prefers leaded or premium U/L.......

is the 2.0 16v a good car and can the power be enhanced without fitting a turbo. i have thought much of getting a g60 but dont know much about the car and dont want to end up with a bad deal.

Everybody goes on about how G60's cost much more because of the charger needing rebuilt but to be honest it only needs rebuilt every couple of years, a charger rebuild is only £400 so if you divide that up per month, it works out at not very much! And the extra torque is definatley worth it in my opinion! G60's are very "fun" to drive!

that maybe so..but you got to remember the price if the charger unfortuantly decides to grenade itself..then it gets costly

I'd go for a 2.0 because it runs happily on normal unleaded, and also , they come with the later interior/exterior.

Would a 2.0 16v run fine on super unleaded? i have heard that the 2.0 16v is slower then then 1.8 16v do you know if that is true? and also that the cat makes the car slower. would the 2.0 16v have a cat and is there a way around it.

The 2.0 runs fine on super unleaded, but will also run fine on normal unleaded, unlike the 1.8

2.0s made after 1993 will have to have a CAT, this will zap a few horses, maybe 3-4 or something? you can buy a sports cat that won't effect horsepower as far as I know, or you can buy a De-Cat pipe and put the Cat back on for MOT time.

The 2.0 8v is pretty rare, they are quite often nice examples, as they aren't bought by people looking for speed.

I owned one for 13 months and loved it, but they are UNDERPOWERED...you can feel it needs more power , especially at the top end. As you're concerned about horsepower I wouldn't reccomend you buy an 8v

cool, you also mentioned de cat pipe is that expensive to do? what are the main thing to look out for when buying a 16v?

A De-Cat pipe is basicaly a hollow pipe that replaces the Cat. I'm not sure exactly how much the pipe alone would be, but not too much I wouldn't have thought.

If you look at the buyers guide I linked you to on the first page you'l see the ...buyers guide. :D

The 2.0 runs fine on super unleaded, but will also run fine on normal unleaded, unlike the 1.8

2.0s made after 1993 will have to have a CAT, this will zap a few horses, maybe 3-4 or something? you can buy a sports cat that won't effect horsepower as far as I know, or you can buy a De-Cat pipe and put the Cat back on for MOT time.

ALL 2.0 16v's came with the cat IIRC :wink: