Sign in to follow this  
24V Renshaw

Steering rack issues solutions and swaps....

Its one of the possibilities at the moment Lee... Yet to be confirmed....

I am going to change the rack soon so will be having a good look and investigate when I do.

Jay

Interesting point about the bolt holes on the rack being enlarged, Jay could you get an exact internal diameter from your new rack so we have a reference?

Have just checked on the Russian ETKA site and the part number for the Seat rack is 6K2422061B and was fitted until some date in 2002, before it changed to a more upright (a la Mk4) input shaft.

And the part it is replacing is 192422061K on the Corrado for the 22 spline input shaft...

just for info this part number: 6K2422061B is also the part for Polo's from 97-2000 using the sports running gear (16v etc???)

Caddys from 96-03 use 6K2422061C which although identical in appearance may have a different ratio lock to lock.

Sorry, no developments but I just thought I'd share something amusing!

It seems the MK5 Golfs are suffering with creaking/clonking racks aswell!! Can you bloody believe it?!! I was thinking of buying a GTI aswell as I can get one for £17K new.....don't think I'll bother now.

VW also fitted some temporary rubber spring travel limiting blocks to the GTIs at the factory to stop them bottoming out on the boats....but guess what, the dealers aren't taking them out before being sold as they're supposed to, so 100s of GTIs are running around with imperfect suspension...... what a farce....

lol. Typical VW over engineering it!

I am going to be fitting my new SEAT rack next weekend. I have also bought new bearings and bushes for the steering column itself, so I will basically be rebuilding the whole steering system. I will post up all the photos and results.

Jay

Nice one.... I think I'll be taking the SEAT route too, pending positive feedback from yourself :-)

You managed to get top and bottom bearings for the column OK then? VW insisted (to me at least) that the column was one big sealed £550+VAT unit.

I wonder if the VW accountants ever looked at the tiny little column and said "Hmmm, yes, ze rack is definitlely worth ze £646 UKGPB" ??!

That really fecks me off... they've got these ancient old parts sitting around gathering dust and they still charge ridiculous prices for them.

ive read most of this thread,but my eyes are killing me (no bed last night :( )

you're not all experiencing sticking top mounts/un seated spring plates or something are ya?

and i fully understand the 'fine one day,crap the next' thing,ive got recent top mounts (all 4) bushes etc... but some days the left side of the car is absolutely horrible over bumps/rough surfaces. :(

clunking and clonking,im thinking its either wishbone bushes or rear beam bushes :o really hard to tell wether its the front/rear though...

Neil.(sorry if my top mount/suspension idea is crap,im real tired)

Nice one.... I think I'll be taking the SEAT route too, pending positive feedback from yourself :-)

You managed to get top and bottom bearings for the column OK then? VW insisted (to me at least) that the column was one big sealed £550+VAT unit.

I wonder if the VW accountants ever looked at the tiny little column and said "Hmmm, yes, ze rack is definitlely worth ze £646 UKGPB" ??!

That really fecks me off... they've got these ancient old parts sitting around gathering dust and they still charge ridiculous prices for them.

You will be the first to know what its like Kev. :) You are welcome to have a drive at Stealth to see what you think. Got all the bits brand new from VW for £20 odd. Just gave them the part numbers and they got them in for me no problem.

I will post up the part numbers when I do it all as I don't have them here at the mo.

Jay

Cheers Jay, appreciate that. Really need to sort this blooming steering out as it's the only thing letting the side down, as with you!

Sorry, no developments but I just thought I'd share something amusing!

It seems the MK5 Golfs are suffering with creaking/clonking racks aswell!! Can you bloody believe it?!! I was thinking of buying a GTI aswell as I can get one for £17K new.....don't think I'll bother now.

VW also fitted some temporary rubber spring travel limiting blocks to the GTIs at the factory to stop them bottoming out on the boats....but guess what, the dealers aren't taking them out before being sold as they're supposed to, so 100s of GTIs are running around with imperfect suspension...... what a farce....

I saw that in CAR magazine this month alright. What a joke :roll:

A mate of mine is getting his steering rack replaced on his 6 month old GTI to see if it stops the creaking.

Ho hum, the fun continues.... I can now turn the steering wheel a cm in either direction with no movement of the road wheels, LOL!

Gotta love these old VWs, eh? :-)

I reckon it's my cheapy GSF tie rods or maybe the cheapy GSF front wheel bearings..... either way both are being replaced with VAG items next week.

If you have that much movement, surely this should be visible, in whichever component is faulty?

Parked on dry concrete so there is plenty of load put on the steering components, the smallest movement of the steering wheel still shows movement on the road wheels, so there can be no play in my steering.

Last night I was parked on full right hand lock, and reversed off the drive on full left lock, as I was reversing on lock there was a big clonk from what I think was the front o/s strut. Seemed like either the sping re-seating, or the top mount moving in the suspension turret. I'm wandering if the top mounts move within the turret causing a knock.

Oh yes the knock occured before dropping off the curb, so it was on level tarmac.

UPDATE:

I installed the brand new SEAT steering rack this weekend and WOW what a difference!! The steering is tight, positive and solid. That "rebuilt" rack I had was obviously a pile of the proverbial. Interestingly I think I have figured out what the clunk is too. I have no noises now other than the clunk, which is a lot worse than it was. The reason for this is the bolt I have in the main wishbone bolt on the drivers side (back of the subframe) is slightly cross threading so I couldn't tighten it right up. It was tight, but not properly. The clunk is now much more regular and I am also certain this is where the problem lies. I am going to run a tap through the hole and get a brand new bolt from VW and see how it goes, but its definately not right. I am going to try and investigate under the floor to see if I can secure that nut any better if its shifting about.

Will keep you all posted, but the SEAT rack rules!! :)

Jay

Excellent news there 24V Renshaw, don't suppose you can confirm if the SEAT rack will fit a 16v, and which model you got it from (don't have time to read back through the thread at the moment)

Give it time ... Most of us claim positive and precise steering after everything has been reassembled for a week or so ..

Cheers for the update Jay, sounds encouraging :-)

Well, after my work on Friday at Stealth my clonk has also gone, LOL!

I had the hubs, bearings, tie rods, BJs, all 4 CVs and the rear wishbone bushes replaced all with VAG. Except the bushes which are now VT ones.

God knows which component got rid of the clonk but it proves it's not the rack as it would clonk consistently.

I checked my wishbones and subframe etc thoroughly for signs of movement but couldn't see anything. I reckon it was the cheapy GSF tie rods I fitted a couple of years ago.

Cheers for the update Jay, sounds encouraging :-)

Well, after my work on Friday at Stealth my clonk has also gone, LOL!

I had the hubs, bearings, tie rods, BJs, all 4 CVs and the rear wishbone bushes replaced all with VAG. Except the bushes which are now VT ones.

God knows which component got rid of the clonk but it proves it's not the rack as it would clonk consistently.

I checked my wishbones and subframe etc thoroughly for signs of movement but couldn't see anything. I reckon it was the cheapy GSF tie rods I fitted a couple of years ago.

Glad it seems to be cured Kev. :D

It is worth bearing in mind that changing just one of the suspension components will accelerate wear on both the new part as well as the old ones. Exactly the same problem comes from just changing the 'broken' engine mount as oppossed to all 3 as well. On a side note who new that you are suppossed to lossen all of the mounts and rock the engine to assure a 'stress free' position??

I think that it would be worth advising people who are considering suspension upgrades that it is well worth getting new wishbones and tie-rods as part of the package. (CV's shouldn't wear anywhere near as badly and that will add some serious cash to the final bill if you change those as well)

Im also in this situation, after swapping lumps last chrimbo there has always been creaky clunk when goin over bumps of randomly turning, i too have a re-con rack as my last one split the top seal, i can move the wheel left and right about a cm and have no impact on my road wheels, all the parts are brand new and VAG as well, driving home last night it felt like the bloody subframe was about to detach from the car, ill investigate tonight but i dont hold much hope, the amount of times ive been under that car checking bolt tensions and suck like is unreal, it really is the only thing letting my car down and although this seat rack sound promising, the thought of changing racks again makes me want to cry.

Keep the updates comin guys

So far so good :-)

Just the centre play to figure out now.... it's gotta be the UJ....can't be anything else as it's all new except that!!

And speaking of mounts, the VT gearbox one is a phenomenal.... it's completely transformed the change and it also appears to have got rid of a curious harshness from my engine at certain revs! Nice one :-)

So, with Competition front, Road rear and road Gearbox, it seems like the perfect mount package to me.

The steering play is probably the column. It was on mine ...

Did you keep the old hubs and stuff Kev? Any visible damage or weakness?

What about the costs for doing the hubs/wishbones/bearings and so on (if you don't mind me being nosy.. ;) )?

Mine has completely lost the middle dead spot since fitting the brand new SEAT rack. It was quite pronounced before, but now its absolutely solid.

Jay

The steering play is probably the column. It was on mine ...

Did you keep the old hubs and stuff Kev? Any visible damage or weakness?

What about the costs for doing the hubs/wishbones/bearings and so on (if you don't mind me being nosy.. ;) )?

Yeah it could be, it's defo not rack related.

Was it a worn bottom bearing causing your slack? The slack I'm talking about is when you turn the steering wheel and nothing happens at the road wheels, LOL! I wouldn't have thought the column itself can cause that? The UJ, yeah, but a long bit metal rod with a bearing at each end?! Not discounting it....just doesn't compute in my head.....but then the Rado does defy all logic and reason anyway :-)

It's a million times better anyway, the old GSF wheel bearings were absolutely shot....which you can't detect (by hand) unless you take the outer CVs off.

Front end costs:-

Hubs and bearings - VAG - £160 all in (pairs of, mates rates through Audi dealer).

Tie rods - VAG - £55+VAT each

VT WB bushes, not sure, about £80 a pair I think

VT gearbox mount, £50 ish.

New top mounts (old ones had sagged 7-8 mm in about 6 months!) - £30 ish I think

Replacement H&R/Bilstein dampers (driver's leaking) - £330 a pair.

4 hours labour

About £930 ish....

And then there was a SuperSprint exhaust and a remap on top of that....an expensive day :-( but great results :-)