Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

noooo - MAYONAISE!!!!!

noooo - JUST TOPED UP WITH OIL AND NOTICED SOME WHITE MAYONAISE IN THE DIPSTIC :( - AND ON THE CAP - IS THIS DEFO BAD?? PLZ ADVISE TY :(

Is it on the dip stick as well?

Is it still there after you take the car for a nice long drive that gets everything up to temp?

If the answer to these questions are both no, then you're ok - it's just condensation.

If the answer to either is yes it could be new head gasket time...

had a simular thing with mine during the winter since i was only going short distances in it, condensation builds up and you get mayo, which would normally be burnt (or melted I guess) off when the oil gets up to temperature.

I'm not so happy to hear about it on the dipstick - a little on the oil filler cap is OK in winter now and again.

Are there any oily droplets in the coolant reservoir?

Can you detect a coolant loss such that you have to top up?

well - i have a leeky pipe that needs fixing so i do need to top up - but this is no help in this case :( - its not loads of mayo its just a bit about the size of the tip of a chopstic (flat) on the dipstic and 2 tips on the cap - what do you think? will check the reservoir in mo - thanks for the help so far lol

If it doesn't go after a long hard drive, I'd be inclined to change the heat exchanger (oil cooler) before suspecting the head gasket as it's cheaper... or would a compression test rule out or confirm that it is the hg?

gradeAfailure, this man has a dam good point! it happened on the other half's Golf, fixed the problem strate up and was easy to do. about £30 in all including the coolant i think! Dont worry, but if it is the Head-Gasket then do worry and turn to alcohol

Mine does this really bad as my oil never gets up to temp as i have a 13 row mocal and drive 10mins each day! drove 300 miles the otherday and that cleared it

Mayonaise on the dipstick.

Should this be on off-topic? ;)

Maybe it should be in Stealth RR and perhaps you could bring it for the BBQ?