gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

ARB 's - recommend a make or type? Supplier? Im curious; i get plenty of roll, but the car turns in plenty quick enough, it almost ties its self in knots.

Eibach is what I have, am not sure of any other makes to be honest - but they are highly recommended. I have seen them advertised on the Venom website so have a look on there. less than £170 a set from what I remember.

The thing with the corrado is that even as standard on standard wheels the handling is better than most from that era, with a decent set of coilies/springs and dampers and things like poly bushes and ARB's you can only make it better...!!! :)

Eibach or H&R ARB's are the ones to go for

H&R make adjustable arb's too, but they are a little more expencive.

@Kev, i didnt realise the H&R coilovers were infact Bilstein's with h&R springs.

Has anyone had any experience with KW suspension, i am looking at theyir V3 setup for my blue corrado at the moment and have heard lots of good stuff, mainly form BMW owners thougth, only a few vw heads

Yeah I want to hear feedback on those too as I was considering getting some myself.

I've heard alot of good stuff about the KW's. And they look amazing build quality.

In fact I think I've just been talked into ordering a set of variant 2's.

I've also just tried a 2.0 16v on weitec coilovers - very nice. Nice comfortable ride even with a relatively big drop.

well, I guess I can share my setup with y'all too :D

koni pressure adjustables with weitec springs (-60mm)

I think I got 215/40/17s, and it is harsh but nothing I can't handle. My car is also fitted with YELLOW(!) strut braces both front and rear. Are ARBs and strut braces the same thing, or are ARBs under the car?

The car handles like a go-kart, and won't let go very easily at all :D

FK Highsports on mine with a 60mm drop. Wheels 17'sX 7.5...

the ride although harder than standard is very good and the handing is greatly improved. for the money would say it was worth every penny....

well, I guess I can share my setup with y'all too :D

koni pressure adjustables with weitec springs (-60mm)

I think I got 215/40/17s, and it is harsh but nothing I can't handle. My car is also fitted with YELLOW(!) strut braces both front and rear. Are ARBs and strut braces the same thing, or are ARBs under the car?

The car handles like a go-kart, and won't let go very easily at all :D

the ARB's are under the car... mine are a nice shade of red to match my C.... lol!!! :)

Running FK Highsport coilovers and find the dampers harder than I'd like for daily use, you often get passengers who are used to wallowing cars commenting on how bumpy it is. However they are great when you're driving quickly across country roads, body roll is virtually non-existant and it seems more stable under heavy braking.

Potholes and speed bumps need to be avoided like the plague though, and if the cabin has any rattles they will be twice as noticeable. To be honest I wish I'd spent the extra 80-100 quid and got the Konigsports instead.

How long does it take to fit the ARB's? I'm planning on having the steering rack changed once it's decided which new rack to use - presumably it would be easiest to have both done at the same time?

no pics unfortunately as I only saw them when the car was on a lift in the Phirm getting a quick check over...!!! they do fit under the car however, the strut braces are the ones which go in the boot and under the bonnet - right?

Yeh strut braces and ARBs are completely different things. Strut braces help to hold the rigidity of the vehicle. ARBs are a clevely bent piece of metal connecting the suspension on each side, when going round a corner the bar bends and transfers some of the 'roll energy' of the car onto the side of the other side of the car, keeping the car 'flatterl round bends.... not a great explanation but you get the idea! :)

Not to be confused with roll cages!

ah sorry all this has got me confused so is it better to get both strut bars and arbs or one or the other?

if that makes sense? also the kits you get from awesome the eibach anti roll kits is that for front and back or just front?

one last question does anyone know how hard they are to fit?

Doesn't the C (Or VR6?) come with a front ARB fitted standard?

iow_corrado_g60, depends what you want, if you want less roll get a rear/front ARB or both (prices will be for one unless stated). Strut brace will make the car feel more solid and you might loose a few creeks as well.

guess no ones tried koni coilovers...

you all now how low mine runs,,, but the ride quality is still exceptional, im not saying its like OE, but for the drop ive never heard a complaint regarding the handling or the ride. quite good considering my ARB's dont do jack has the car is lower then they sit :lol:

we have KYB -40mm shocks and springs and are looking to change as we have found them too harsh for daily driving

the C is running 7x16 rims on 195/45 tyres...

ive heard coilovers are a harsh ride but the H&R ones seem to be gettin rave reviews in here so may look to get a set of those.

this is on a '92 2.0 16v

Konigsports are great for ride quality as are H&Rs.

ARBs, yes there is a front one and the stock rear one is intergral with the axle, so adding one (Eibach for example) is supplementary as you can't remove the standard bar unless you cut it out, and there's no point.

To retain a good handling and balance , I recommend sticking with the standard front bar and fit a 25mm rear bar, eibach, Neuspeed or H&R, but I believe only Neuspeed sell their bars individually.

You also want to keep the car's roll centre as close to standard as possible, so to achieve that you do not want the outboard end of the wishbone pointing up, even by 1mm. If you keep the roll centre sensible, the car will feel like the springs are holding it up mid corner better.

Changing the roll centre and fitting a larger front bar induces understeer.

To improve turn-in and balance, widen the front track (spacers) and run a camber of around -0.9 degrees. Don't go too wide on the front track or the rear will pirouhette on you when pushing it mid bend.

i have had my fk ak's on for 3 months now, and for the money, £250 i can really recommend them, wound them down to 85mm last week to see what they were like that low, and they were still comfy, got no complaints at all with fk's budget coilover kit 8)

As for suspension set up, I currently run Koni t/a with H&R - a good compromise in terms of ride, handling and looks.

Previously I've run H&R coilovers (springs on the hard side - worked well above 60 mph but a bit jarring at lower speed. Not really surprising given that they're ~twice as stiff as stock springs), and Bilstein dampers (high-speed damping was too harsh - avoid) with H&R springs.

All of the above with 16" wheels.

On the other C's I've owned, Koni t/a coilovers were the best - even running 17" wheels.

yeh very true mike, i only ran it that low for one day, then raised it 40mm the roads round here arent the best, but where in england are the roads any good???