gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

I'm running Weitec coilys and 16s on mine - had them for about 5 months now. Overall they are great. Bodyroll is minimal and over most roads it is smooth. It can crash around a little on really rough road but overall a big thumbs up.

Picking up some 17s on Sunday, so will let you guys know what happens then!

well now ive had a chance to get used to my suspension working thought id post!!

Im running the Weitec Hicon 'TX' full adjustables courtesy of Darren.

Have also found that just adjusting by 1/2 a turn can turn the car from having a nice 'sporty' feel to being a nice soft motorway muncher. and it doesnt even take a minute to do!

I dont really have anything to compare the ride to as my old silverlines were shagged!

i have had the weitec hicon gt coilovers (also from g-werks) on for a week or so and the ride is superb much better than the sloppy 1 year old boge turbo standard dampers (both rear ones where leaking after a year). damping seems just right, not too harsh but stops most of the bodyroll, i had them set quite high at first just to get used to them but now it lowered so the front splitter is about 2 1/2 inches off the ground and the ride is still excellent

Anyone had any experience of KW coilovers?

Awesome - which ever model you choose they work imensely well. i have a few customers swapping out there h&R's etc for these.(not corrado) i only have experiance of the varient 2's on a corrado and these had sublime ride quailty. there also stainless steel so no worries with corrosion from our salty roads

Oredered KW Version 1 today from Darren - will report when they're fitted. What else should I replace while doing it apart from obvious top mounts?

On the front, the strut top bearings (fit the top mounts and bearings from the VR6).

On the rear, just the top mounts as they compress to buggery over time.

Had a good chat with a number of people at Inters regarding suspension.

The guy at Gwent VW had me all but convinced that KW Variant 3's were the way to go, but at £1100..eeek! the Demon Tweeks guy also said they are really well made.

BUT, after talking to Grant Woodhatch from Grant Motorsport and Craig Inskip from CCI Motorsport (both VW cup race competitors of course) they told me that all the racers they know who are using KW's (mainly because they are being sponsored by KW) are having issues with seals blowing, stuff sezeing, and generally just not performing.

Grant rates suspension in this order, from best to worst 9not saying the "worst" are bad, just not as good

Penske

Proflex

Ohlins

Leda

KW-Koni-H&R-Bilstein, etc, all about the same, and noe of them any good for race use at all.

Now this is proper advice coming from REAL racers and tuners.

So ask yourself, do you actually want your car to handle? or do you just want to lower it so it looks nice??

I know where my my money is going, CCIM are a Leda dealer, and he's offerend me a deal I can't refuse, including full setup by Grant Motorsport in with the price. shame I have to build the whole car first and weigh it before they can work out the spring rates!

just ouf of interest, for you road going boys, it might be work giving gwent vw a call.

Eibach have just brought out theor own kits. using their own springs, but with KW bodies and koni damper inserts. basically, the best of everything you could want for a road car.

paul - You do know that the kw race series kits that the teams use are not part of the varient 1.2.3 range they are completly differant and also come with no warranty. The varient 1.2.3 range use alot of differant parts ie seals etc to allow a good warranty for years of road use.

Just thought i would let you know also you can spec your own spring/damping rates on the varient 3's

yes, I do know that, but if they aren't very clever at race stuff what does it tell you about the road stuff? I was all set to buy the variant 3's before I heard this.

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, but if anyone's interested in my views on the Koni Coilovers I've got fitted to my VR6, they are thus;

Dropped the car by about 50mm front 70mm rear, and with the original 15" Speedlines it now looks how it should have looked all along.

Set the dampers all the way soft, then a half turn hard and on normal roads the added composure was unexpected at first. Also body roll is hugely reduced. However, on particularly poor surfaces it can become a little jarring at times. I see this as a problem with our roads, rather than a problem with the setup (I have to tell myself this, don't I).

All in all I was only looking to improve the look of the car when I made the swap, but with the added control and cornering prowess there's no way I would go back. Might be nice to get someone who knows what they're doing to set it up though.

Mark

I've just ordered a set of H&R RSS Clubsport Coilies (the hardest ones) which should be here in a couple of weeks, so I'll post up my findings when they're on. Reckon they might be a bit on the hard side but thats good imo.

Does your car have any squeaks and rattles at the moment?

It soon will have... :)

Mate if you knew me or my car you'd realise how irrelevant that question is.

Rattles like a mo fo - can't hear it cos of the engine/music :)

Just to let everyone that has been wondering about them. I've just ordered a set of the ebay coilovers (the one's that look like the Jamex, PI etc etc).

I'm pretty sure that after studying the pics, that all jamex etc have done is rebrand them.. Paid £300 delivered so will report on how good they are.

BTW, I know you get what you pay for but hey... I'm skint!!

Right, ive just read through all this lot and dont feel much further forward. Can anyone give me some tips for the following.

I want to lower mine and will remain on standard 15s. I reckon aboput 40mm should do the trick.

I dont want anything too harsh at all, its not a track car so want it for the look really but want something that feels quality.

Budget £700 max.

Cheers guys.

Hi Goldie, just replied to your p/m

Mine's on Konigsport Silverline-X (the stainless steel ones)

Ride feels great, although I've not been in other lowered C's, so it's hard to compare. Mine used to be on standard suspension, and my current kit is a bit stiffer, but not as all uncomfortable.

It's only really noticeable on sh!t roads - which london has a lot of! :lol:

Bought mine for a really good price in a group buy; around £565 inc. VAT & delivery

Hope that helps!

hey there guys n gals,

jst been down to G-werks, got me a set of KW Variante 1's..and gotta say the journey home was awesome...the car handles great and looks cool... and theres plenty of room for raising and lowering.. seem pretty easy to adjust too.. andt they're stainless steel so hopefully they won't corrode..

thanks to Darren and Rob for doing the work and to my bro shane for keeping me company in the not so happening town of Little Hampton (no offence to any that live there! :wink: )

mayb that could be a new thread, which mechanic/bodyshops have good towns and what ya did there or in my case how u survived......

Hi guys,

KW Variante 2 seems to lower the car 60mm even at maximum height!! I so not want to lower the car that much as roads are sh!ts here as well. I don't mine 25mm lowering is that right?

Also how would PSS and PSS9 compares to the KW's?