Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

recon g60 engine

just wonderin how much i would likely have to stump up for a recon g60 engine and where would be the best place to get one,also would it be worth gettin my engine done instead?

i was hopin to stay with the g60 engine if i could but if the cost is goin to be the same as a 1.8t conversion then i would be tempted to go down that road

I can supply a Brand New Genuine G60 block for £900.00

how much diff is there between that and the BBM 1.9L G60 Short Block,performance an price?

stay with the G greeny you'll mis it!

so how comes you need a new engne the 8v is pretty solid!

but if you got all new gaskets replaced etc new head and cam etc i dont think it would cost anywhere near 2.5k

no soul = doesn't stop on random or in bad weather ;)

seriously though, a g60 is nice and all, but it's getting old. If a recon of an old high mileage engine and a swap to a newer, more powerful and lower mileage engine would cost the same, I would definitely go for the newer engine. I'm sure spare parts are easier to get and cheaper too.

so how comes you need a new engne the 8v is pretty solid!

i don't think i do need a complete new engine,just really thinkin of the cost of renewin things and the cost of just gettin a new engine,she just seems to be a bit smokey from start up and when i give it some,plus i can smell burnin oil.,which isn't nice,specially when i got a loser in a saxo behind me an i put my foot down to leave a puff of smoke :lol: want a nice clean take off.if ya know what i mean

Stan, are you on commission with PSI :D

No but its always good to keep in with them for discounts or trial parts etc ;) Hence my custom-code chip ;)

getting your pg block overhauled and fitting a replacement (and better flowing) 8v head will be cheaper than a 20vt but not by a massive amount. but it depends on what you want. don't be turned off the idea of building up your g60 up instead of goign down the 20vt route. youll always get swamped with peoples opinions - but its what you want that counts - its you whos spending your money not anyone else. do research on all your options and speak to loads of people about their engine conversions - ask whatever you can - people who have gone that far are usually passionate about their project and wont mind helping you out. I've recently done this (thanks to all who answered all my questions - appreciated!) and trust me it helps a lot. Try not to let your budget take over your plans/ideas - time can combat the budget and ultimately you'll be spending a lot of money either way so you want to take the route you really want, not the one that suited your budget during the month xxx etc etc. What it all boils down to is : form your own opinions/plans before getting sidetracked by comments on a thread that may only help to confuse you. Good luck!

to tell u the truth i'm not really bothered about tryin to reach a massive bhp,just want to make sure my engine wont decide to pack up,she's done nearly 120k now so i think she deserves a little bit of surgery,i'm more than happy to stick we the standard g60 engine but with a new lease of life,it would be nice to open the bonnet and see a nice new lookin g60 engine in the bay,i'll just keep pluggin away with questions an ideas till i get the cash together,another question aswell...bodywork or engine 1st?

good plan. i've decided to stick with the g60 engine - but thats after speaking to a lot of people and finding out costs, who can offer what, where, when etc etc. most of the info is fresh in my head so ask away if i can help.

I am sure a lot of people would say get the bodywork done first then tackle the engine. I've dealt with all the dents, rust etc - but not gone the full way with a respray. I'll do that and the wheels at the very last when the engine etc is totally sorted. If I was to write the car off tomorrow then theres a better chance to use the engine again rather than the shell etc. Just my opinion mate. But a lot of it depends on your circumstances. Do you have a garage to store it - do you have a 2nd car - do you have the cash to get others to do everything for you etc etc.

i'm tryin to get a certain budget together to pay for most of the work done as i'm a bit shitty we mechanics,i'll have a go with small things but with her bein my daily drive i need her back on the road asap so the work would need doin rather quickly hence it makin sence to pay for the work to be done by an expert,not gonna be able to have a 2nd car,not really bothered about havin one,if i'm spendin money on me G then i want to be drivin her as much as i can,even if it is just to work an back and the end of the day i'm not aimin to be a show winner,just want her lookin good and soundin goodi've got no garage @ the mo,but a bloke who works we the g/f has just bought an house near me and has got some garages,workshops which came with the house so all bein well i may be rentin one of them from him

engine first, then bodywork... if the body gets tatty, it's not going to grind to a halt and leave you stranded... ;)

Get the G60 engine rebuilt... you don't need to go mad with it, get the engine out and cleaned up, change the bearings, shells, rings, all seals/gaskets/core plugs, oil pump, water pump and all the switches and sensors. Dump the oil cooler and put on a Mocal air/oil cooler kit with the appropriate MKI water pipes... Get some paint out and clean and paint any bits that are taken off it... While the head's off, get it to a good engine shop and get the valve guides and seats done and possibly a bit of porting and polishing while you're in there... Oh, and give Darren some money to do your charger too... ;)

The parts to do that little lot won't cost more than a grand and a half, and if you get the garage space, it's not a difficult job to do, just take your time and read the Golf MKII haynes manual carefully (it's basically an identical engine!)

That'll leave you with a mint, standard G60 engine that'll happily give you another 120K miles

fella luckily my engine doesnt need rebuilding only rebuilt 13k ago but i wish i was better with mechanics would save me alot of money! but never mind ill stick to what i know! and let darren take care of the rest! hope you keep it g60 good luck keep us posted!

i'm deffo keeping with the g60,(although i did see a complete 1.8t setup on ebay for 1200quid,with all parts for the conversion) just need to get a proper price list together on all the things that would need doing