Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

Cant get my wheels off

I have TSW alloys on the car, with a 74mm centre bolt holding the centre cover on.

Problem - centre bolt will not undo, tyre needs changing and MOT due this month!!!!

have broken the plastic tool that came with the car, several tyre places have tried with no joy, am curently looking at having to get them chiselled off

it has been suggested trying a metal version of the tool, but i cant find one for love nor money, if anyone has one and could bring it to stealth on sunday it would be ace!!!

if they do need chisseling, how do i go about this without damaging the wheels more than they are? or is anyone willing to do it for me??

also, my back end is bouncing around like crazy! am assuming its the suspesion gone, does anyone have any experience with the Weitec Hicon GT coilovers being sold by G-Werks? or any opinions welcome, but bearing in mind budget really cant go over £550.

Cheers

Andy

have you tried getting some wd40 or some sort of lube in there matey? whats the tool look like?

mate darren told me yesterday the weitec's are very good he's pretty spot on with what he says! what i mean is he wouldnt say it if they werent! cheers andy you feeling any better?

WD40 has been tried!

thought they would be decent as i cant see darren selling something that isnt!!!

feeling like i should be up and about for the weekend!

I had the same problem once with my TSW's - got them off in the end with an adjustable spanner and a cloth (to protect the finish on the nuts) :?

also, my back end is bouncing around like crazy!...any opinions welcome...

2 live crew or sir mix-a-lot might be interested? :lol:

i dont know, some people have far too much time on their hands!!!!!

A couple of garages have tried adjustable spanners etc on them with no luck! hmmmmm.... what next???

I had this problem at the weekend because I'd lost the locking wheel nut (probably left it on the last one I did up and it fell in the road somewhere). Took into one of the AA / Halfords garages and they got them out for a tenner.

They were the ones with the rotating outside. They broke that off using a chissel type instrument, banged on one of those reverse thread nut removers and undid with a ratchet. Took them about 15min.

I only half torque the locking wheel nuts so that may have helped.

Phil K Three o them seem to be stuck, all have been off before, were done up hand tight hand a little more with tool to secure them. no idea how they got stuck like this!!

Rpmayne thanks, but its not the locking wheel nuts that are the problem!

pic of tool and wheel attached:

Sorry mate, missed that. :oops: I had TSW Hockenheims with that centre nut and got them off with a big plumbing adjustable spanner and a cloth as Phil K said. Only use to hand tighten mine and they used to stick, maybe the ally thread corroding is the cause.

Failing that, how about using a punch and hammer to shock them undone. Could try putting a shim of some kind between the nut and punch to save damage.

It might sound ridiculous, but a great tip is to actually tighten it first. Only a tiny bit, about an eighth or quarter of a turn if that.

That should break whatever is causing the threads to lock. Once you have felt it move dont tighten it any more. They should then undo quite easily.

Speaking of eighths & quarters... am going to Amsterdam in 10 days! Yipeee!

I had TSW Hockenheims with that centre nut and got them off with a big plumbing adjustable spanner and a cloth as Phil K said

Me too!

Try one of the adustable rubber band tools which tighten and grip without damage should work a treat.

If you're really stuck, it might be worth asking in a decent tire place - they have people that they can call out for wheels that are stuck on cars.

I had a nightmare of a problem where some git of an oily mechanic sheered the head of one of my locking wheel bolts clean off, leaving the threaded part really tightly into hub with no way of getting the wheel off. I was running on 'slicks' and need to get it sorted for the MOT like yourself.

Thankfully this was called out and had every possible tool under the sun for removing knackered bolts etc. He charged me £40 and thankfully didn't have to get his brittle diamond drill bits out.

I know yours is the centre bolt and not the wheel bolts them self but he seemed to have a tool for every awkward bolt!

cheers for the sugesstions guys, strap wrench wont get in to it due to it being slightly recessed from the wheel!

but all is good as darren is going to get it off for me with a heat gun as its now going down there next week for the Coilovers to be fitted along with a stage 4 rebuild!!

Dub_nut_g60, just noticed u got a custom 944 dump valve fitted to ya G,got any sound clips of what it sounds like m8?

no i havent unfortuanatly!

should be some after the weekend though!!!

its a nice subtle whoosh/whistle (well from the inside it is!!) shall post something up for you after sunday!

Have you tried warming them up a bit? (assuming they are aluminium) Aluminium expands quite quickly when heated so this might give you a chance to slacken them when you get a large adjustable spanner on them!

tis what darren should be doing for me next week! i dont have blow lamps around (and i dont trust myslf with fire, have a habit of burning things!!)