Sign in to follow this  
MARLBORO_LITE

Halfords Wheel/Tyre packages

I called into my local Halfords last night to pick up a ratchet driver. Had to walk throught the store to get to the tool/workshop area at the rear. My journey there took me through their alloy wheel section, with lots on sale.

They seem bloody good value. Generally the prices (+ or - £50) were £400 for 15', £500 for 16' and £600 for 17'. All come with Hankooks. The sets on sale started at £300 for 15' and £400 for 16. Didn't see any 17's on sale though.

I noticed OZ, Wolfrace, TSW (there were more but can't remember the names). OZs were most expensive. I am seriously tempted as I am desparate to loose the 15' Stealths that came with my recent purchase! Have been looking at 2nd hand, but at these (ready to fit) prices I am having second thoughts.

Has anyone else checked these out? Before I do anything mad, I would appreciate any views from those with far more experience than I when it comes to things like this. I guess I really want to know whether Halfords are running a good deal right now.

Cheers

Halfords do occasionally have some very good deals on wheel/tyre packages.. its just down to timing really.

Another place that does great deals on wheel / tyre packages is this place - probably as good as your going to get on stuff like BBS wheels, etc..

Before you dive in buying a set of wheels, *weigh them*.

If they're heavier than the stock wheels (which are pretty light actually), then you will notice the performance impact, and you might end up regretting it..

Yeah - the 25% off deal they were doing on BBS's last year was unbeatable but they don't seem to stock BBS any more...

yeh, definately dont do BBS; I asked last year and the guy laughed - "havnt done them in ages".

Maryl-Lite ; what size are you after? Read around herre, there are lots of alternative oppinions

Always felt 16" or maybe 17" Oz Titan's would look good on a Corrado - nice chunky but not blingy 5 spoke design.. classic choice for the Corrado!

Cheers fellas.

Good advice to weigh them (thanks dr-mat). I want 16's (tyre size 205/40?). I was looking for 2nd hand Azev As, but all the ones I saw needed refurb/tyres whihc put them well above the Halford's price in the round.

I'll check out Jim's 'place', I am sure Halfords had the Titan design.

Bloody credit card company sent me a batch of cheques with 0% interest for 6 months (arrived this morning!). Wife's away, I wonder if she'd notice a wheel change? I'll make sure I keep the cover on maybe...... I know the sod hides her new shoes from me!!!

Cheers

Good brands like OZ, Speedline, BBS etc are generally very light and Hankooks aren't bad either, they're just a rebranded decent make like most other tyres.

What car is it for? 205/45/16 is the tyre you need for most Rados running 16s.

If you want something a bit different, 7x16 Compomotive MOs are just about the toughest wheel you can get and weigh 8kg each (17.6 lbs), which is only a bag of sugar heavier than the stock 15" Speedlines. They're very popular in Motorsport circles and with people sporting big old brakes....hence me ordering some :-)

If you want something a bit different, 7x16 Compomotive MOs are just about the toughest wheel you can get and weigh 8kg each (17.6 lbs), which is only a bag of sugar heavier than the stock 15" Speedlines. They're very popular in Motorsport circles and with people sporting big old brakes....hence me ordering some :-)

Where did you find cheapest Kev?

I just ordered them direct from Compomotive mate as I had to ring them anyway to check for caliper clearance, weights, PCD etc etc....it was a LONG conversation.....but they're £144 each and available in black, gold, white, anthracite, silver, orange polka dot etc etc.

They said they only do the 16" MO in 6 spoke now, but it still looks nice imo. Mine need to be offset 48!!

So you're selling your 16" speedos then :-)

Sold 'em before he'd even decided he was selling them :lol:

I'll be fitting wheels to a 2.0 16v which sits on standard suspension at the moment. I am planning a 40mm (+ or - 10mm) drop to make things look more snug. So am looking at 205/45's then rather than 40 section?

I'd love Comp MOs in white but wonder how they'd look on a pearl green Rado (also need more regular cleaning than they'd get from me!). I intend going down the green/clear/chrome look [clear indicators, red/clear rear lights, chrome 16v badges f & r, chrome number plate surrounds, Don't think it will work with white wheels.........and MOs look best in white imho.

Got an opportunity to buy 7.5 x17 Borbet Cs, just refurbed and with tyres that have done no more than 100 miles, for £350. Sound good? Price doesn't include delivery. I haven't seen photos yet and don't know tyre make. They came off a Golf Mk II 16v so should fit ok I believe.

Thanks for your views and interest.