Sign in to follow this  
jackroo

Corrado Time Line Of Problems?

Hi there just wondering if there is a general time scale of problems for Corrados, I know what your all going to say.

It depends how they have been treated and driven and where they have been kept etc

But I am just a bit worried as I will be using my Corrado when I get it for commuting/social and every thing else, I think I will get some better insurance and cover so I get a hire car if mine decides to stop working , but I am interested in how many general problems people have with these cars when they get over the 100k mark.

If people could give me a general idea of what kind of problems they have had, I would find it very interesting. Obviously this does not really affect people who have a second car as much as they always have some backup.

Many thanks

By the way guys, really enjoying this forum been reading posts all day and looking your motors. I think some of you should add more pictures in your personal profile tho :D

And I wont let what ever you guys put deter me from buying one of these as my heart is set on getting one now. I am also interested more so in problems with the G60 or VR6 as these will be one of the versions I will get.

It all comes down to how its been treated :)

people say timing chains need doing on a VR after 100k but see above,

Maybe think about the rubber perishing after 12+ years so might be an idea to replace hoses. If you loose coolant at speed tings can get expensive quickly. Regular oil changes and servicing seem to be the best way of keeping em alive, IIRC andi's the site owner was on origonal chains and was at 210k, just serviced regularly. Also dont thrash it from cold if you can help it. damage to engines at cold temps is the absolute killer, also the oil isn't runny yet so there will be increased oil pressure and resistance.

But by the by mine has given me very few problems and she was my daily driver for the first 10 months of ownership. If you are worried about being off the road then a copy of german sweedish and french catalogue and a small amount of spanner skills can go a long way. either that or befriend a spanner monkey.

Driver's door handle

Headlight switch

Coil pack on VR6

all seem to fail even on well-kept cars after about 8-10 years.

steering columns, sunroofs, spoilers, ignition switches, heater controls, brake calipers, gear linkages, abs sensors, abs pumps, the suspension, the brakes, the bodywork, the chassis ...

Well no, actually, usually the chassis doesn't need any attention! ;)

All the above can cause problems, but then, you're talking about a ten year old car that's pretty highly strung, so none of this should come as a surprise..

They're not that bad really. My MK4 has nearly left me stranded more times than either of my Corrado's ever did! ;)

Did you mean "nearly stranded" or "nearly as many times" .. ;)

Car reliability is inversely proportional to how interesting they are.

Some examples:

[ . Car . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Interest level . . . . . . . . Reliability . ]

3yr old cavalier 1.8 GL . . . sub-basement . . . . . penthouse suite

10yr old Lambo Diablo . . . penthouse suite . . . . sub-basement

10yr old Corrado . . . . . . . 15th floor . . . . . . . . mezzanine level

brand new toyota corolla . . 20,000 leagues . . . . 20,000 feet

20 yr old toyota corolla . . . 20,000 leagues . . . . the moon

See?

corrado's are unrealiable and s**t' date=',, sensible people buy Toyota's and Volvo's[/quote']

That's a crock of schit. It's just a Golf.....

corrado's are unrealiable and s**t' date=',, sensible people buy Toyota's and Volvo's[/quote']

whaaa?

there's been several people on here that haven't had any problems with thier rados atall.

if you think they're sh** why buy one? certainly no need for that attitude

I'm pretty sure he was joking guys ...lighten up :)

I think a 'time line of problems' is a bit of a difficult thing to draw up - but if anyone has one could you tell me what's gonna go wrong with mine next so I can fix it before it brakes :wink:

Well I've only ever had 1 major problem with mine and that was the head gasket blowing.

Everything else was just little annoying things that don't cost much to sort.

They're not that bad really. My MK4 has nearly left me stranded more times than either of my Corrado's ever did! ;)

you're not joking, in it's first 4 years on the planet my mk4 has had two new coilpacks, front arb bushes (clonk, clonk, every bump) PS hose, window regulator, temp sender, rear window isolation switch stuck, rear washer hose filled the boot with water, timing belt tensionner destroyed itself (just stopped car in time) and it's got loads of rattles on it's soft standard suspension.

My corrado had one heated washer nozzle in it's first 8 years.

David.

But hey, it's a VW. There is a reason they are consistently bottom of the JD power reliability surveys.

130k reached today on 1996 model.

Generally i would say very reliable, just the usual hic ups and service items you would expect on a car 10 years old.

Drivers door handle went Jan this year.

Alarm has finally packed up - just. (but it is 10 years old)

All other items straight Wear and tear items.

Keep it reguarly serviced and oil changes every 5k

Get the engine to temperature before you open it up

Bought mine 2yrs ago from a 40-something balding bloke who had 9pts on his license. I've done 10k miles in it, bought it with 95k on. Aftermarket aircon fitted, full leather, VWSH definately make sure you get one with FULL service history. Had my wheels refurbished cost around £250, worth every penny. My bet advice would be, buy carefully & don't be tempted by a cheaper one with no history & look for a totally original genearlly means no boy-racer abuse.

I've had no probs at all, exhaust is starting to blow a little but passed MOT nps. VR6 is arguebly the best engine VW ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHDHyAu ... golf%20r32