Sign in to follow this  
Dubcharged

G60 rev limiter : PLEASE avoid!!

Having read a few threads various forums, it has come to my attention that a lot of G60 owners (especially chipped) take the car to the limit and bounce off the limiter. :shock:

PLEASE be warned that the limiter is a very hard cut as i'm sure you've noticed. It causes a huge back pressure into the charger, the oil supply basically acts like a pressure hammer when the limiter is hit :o

This obviously damages the charger and i have seen chargers blow oil seals and displacers by people bouncing off the limiter :cry:

Solution: get rid of that nasty limiter and learn to shift just after peak power, which on a standard G60 head is approx 6000rpm (see your dynos)

Just a word of advice :wink:

Well, I dont drive a G60 but I rarely ever take the car to the limiter.. it certainly can't do it any good making the engine work that hard :|

The G60 block itself is very well built, taking it to over 6k doesn't pose a problem, its just the charger. You could strap a turbo onto the G60 engine and take it over 6500rpm without a problem!! :D

Wise words!!

I never take mine past 6000rpm.

Well almost never :twisted:

Wheres peak power on VR6? *:)

Ive never taken mine above 6000 rpm 8)

was told by my trusted mechanic friend (who was a vw/audi tech when roccos and rados where new) not to take the car past 5500rpm if not required. he said 6000rpm is a good safe upper limit, especially since it makes good sense to shift at this point anyway. hehe, and he didn't know i'm running a 65mm pulley 8)

causes undue charger stress as has already been mentioned. get a shift light too.. that can help not bouncing off the limiter when you're racing your best friend in his japanese RWD... i only did it once i SWEAR! :shock: :roll:

65mm is a good size, you can take it to 6300 and still be within the design spec of the charger rpm. Hope you've got correct fuelling though, if you're from canada then you must be a KK customer? Great place!! They really know their stuff!! :D

Shift light's a great idea, i use one since i HAVE to change at 6k rpm (i'm using a 62mm pulley but with red tops 8) 8) )

Due to the nasty nature of the standard hard cut, we've pushed the limiter to where no one can reach it!!! Just learn to shift at the appropriate rpm with respect to your pulley :wink:

We've been working on a soft cut for a few months now, still going through testing at the mo but seems to be working well. :)

We could program your motor to spit flames :twisted: Perhaps its not such a good idea at the limit since the hard cut scenario might present itself again. Will have to look into it 8)

when you say you can program our motors to spit flames is that just a case of richening the mixture as my C already throws out the odd flame here and there, I bought a flamer kit which is basically a spark plug fitted to the exhaust and a coil with a black box of tricks but the black box is a little unreliable I ve gone through 3 black boxes so far under waranty but the company I bought it from are refusing to replace it again and a new 1 is £50 so if you can get the same results for less then I would be interested!!

My MX5 kicked out flames... and yes, it has a burnt bumper :D

I just been told my C spits out flames!! At the track day at Donington I was running on near enough 101 octane with a few degrees ignition advance & the old girl was doing a bit of fire eating!!!! I had a look at the inside of the tailpipe & it was a nice browny biscuit colour, so shes running spot on.

Excellent day.

Not good for cars with catalysts ...

Exactly!

But this is where we get loads of posts saying to remove the CAT, of course. Not when you're toying with wanting to move back to Germany, possibly ;-)

Tempest

Remove the catalyst .. or save fluffy bunnies. The choice is yours.. ;)

I love having a car built in '91 Legal Cat Removal - I don't like fluffy bunnies anyway!!!

My G used to spit flames on gear change with the original chip. Since putting the sns it she dosnt any more...

yep agreed, ran my golf up the strip but my rev counter wasnt working, so bounced it of the limiter a fair few times, needless to say a week later my charger grenaded