Sign in to follow this  
scarlett

Shogun/Pajero or Discovery....?

right boys and girls...

the C is unfortunately for sale to fund another horse.... as I will be going out competing on said horse I am biting the bullet and heading back to 4x4 ownership - previously had a Cherokee tdi. So far I am looking at 2 different makes - the Mitubishi Shogun/Pajero 2.5tdi (short wheel base preferably) or the Landy Discovery 200/300 2.5tdi.... Would love a jeep tdi again but they are a little out of price range.....

has anyone owned a Discovery? are they really as high maintenance as a Corrado? The Shogun owners I have know have had very little probs with them - anyone know any different?

main criteria is that it needs to be able to pull a large horse box with 2 horses (about 2 tonne) on a regular basis with ease! I aint trading in my beloved C for a competition horse and then finding i'm not able to go anywhere with it!!!

any thoughts.....?

all i know is that the pajero will be more to insure as it is import version of shogun.

don't imagine any of those 3 would let you down too much tho.

What about an old subaru legacy?

have a word with chrisvr6 nos, he imports jap cars and can probably get you a nice Mitzi for well under what you'd pay over here, or at least a newer one for the same cash. Theres a TON of good jap 4x4's about, but from what I hear the discovery is very compitent off road.

The insurance on a Pajero doesn’t bother me too much, 7yrs no claims and am now 26! A modified rado only cost me £350.

Am not sure if the Discovery is just a bit too big, they are huge where as a swb Mitsu wont feel quite as bus-like!!!

My real concern is just maintenance on the bloomin’ things….!

bloody insurance, i've got max no claims but being 23 means tough banana's for cheapy quotes, living in Manchester doesnt help...

sorry O/T

my mate has a pajero auto, its a bit thirsty on the diesel, he tows his jetski about too. Not sure if thats the norm tho

we had a new TDI disco a year ago, wasnt really a problem infact it was a lovely car with all the extras. Only problem was the fusebox went funny and had to be replaced but was done for free under the warranty.

My stepdad was then involved in a head on with a volvo estate which wrote the dico off (volvo driver was from holland or something and was on the wrong side of the road, eek!!) all i can say is the disco and volvo were both trashed big style but my step dad walked away with only a bit of whiplash and thats it! the roof had to be cut of the volvo.

As he would not have another disco he eventually ended up with a frontera Ltd edition with a 3.2 l engine. I have to say the newer ones are worth a look as its really nice in a strange american truck kind of way.

What is the tow weight you are gonna be pulling?

Not another 4x4 woman driver; not expecting kids too next are yu, :lol:

But seriously scarlett, my mates Discovery is always providing problematic. I understand its common for the boot door to go rusty on some models. On his version the cam belt keeps slipping, which is common. Those Shoguns seem like tanks - the better buy maybe

What is the tow weight you are gonna be pulling?

Am hoping to get an Ifor Williams trailer which is about a ton unladen, then the two boys so 2000kg at the very most! If need be I’ll go for a lighter trailer, prob cant afford an IW anyway!

Not another 4x4 woman driver; not expecting kids too next are yu,

good lord no!!!! :)

The 200/300TDi Discovery engines are rock solid and have no real common problems that I'm aware of. The problem with a Land Rover is going to be finding a clean chassis/body of that age. If you can find a good 'un then I wouldn't rule the Land Rover out based on potential un-reliability. I've been running a 1986 N/A 2.5 Land Rover 90 for almost three years without any mechanical engine/drivetrain failures.

However, a SWB Pajero is probably going to suit your needs better. The Disco has more ground clearance and is better off-road ability but if you're not planning on any hardcore off-roading then the superior build-quality of the Misubishi will make it a better drive I think...but then they're more expensive than a Disco. I guess it's a case of horses for courses (pun intended).

My dad has had a 1991 200TDI Discovery since new. It had 2 new gearboxes (eek!) under warranty, and hasn't caused any trouble since.

At 150,000 miles it now needs a bit of TLC - steering is "vague" and tends to wander at motorway speeds (70-80ish mph). This could probably be sorted by replacing all suspension / steering bushes and fitted new swivels, but thats quite an expense.

The engine doesn't pull as well as it should - may need some level of rebuild.

A younger one would be ideal - although the word is amongst enthusitasts that the 200TDI is a tougher better engine than the 300, although not so powerful or refined.

I suspect a younger Jap import Pajero would offer better value for money? but clearly doesn't have the cachet of a real Land Rover.

I have a 300TDi Disco too, used for pulling hte horse box, general paddock chores and for ploughing htrough lincolnshire winters.... If you find a nice, late plate 300 TDi that has been looked after you shouldnt have any problems. Yes the gear boxes are known to give a bit of grief, but most of htem by now have been replaced wit hthe modified ones anyway.

The other option if your not going to be doing tots of miles is look for a nice disco 2 with the V8 engine. The yare going for peanuts at the mo cos no-one wants the V8 due to the MPG. My dads mate just bought a V plate disco 2 with 28,000 miles on it for £2k!!!!! OK, pulling a box you will only get 15mpg, but then you have spent bugger all on buying it..... Also, Landies are much cheaper to work on than Mitsubishis, and all parts are readily available.

Mark

mums got a diahastsu fourtrack. it was bought to pull our horses. i'd recommend driving a shogun/pajero first compared to the rest then u might cross it off your list. my mum wanted a disco but nearly everyone she knows thats got one has had loads of problems with them.

i lent me mates short wheel based shogun for a couple of hrs,really couldn't get used to how high it was,felt like i was gonna scrape down the sides of parked cars :lol:

Id stay away from the disco, a friend of mine has one and it leaks, drinks heavily, has rotted out, is unreliable etc etc!!

Your much better off with a shogun!

Have you thought about a mitsi L200 or a toyota hilux? Damn good load luggers!!

Scarlett,

I've just come back from a 4x4 trek of the Sahara, 95% of the 4x4's we saw out there were either Toyota lancruisers or Nisssan Patrols...i think there's a message in there somewhere about reliability and running costs..(you REALLY don't want to get stranded in the middle of the sahara...)

A.

200/300 tdi Discos are great and rock solid. I drive a 2006 Disco3 SE, 1000 miles haven't gone by without the dealer having it in for warranty work! Sad really.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys.

Its looking like the Pajero is favourite for now, although I don’t doubt that a Disco would do everything I want it to do I am a bit concerned that I wouldn’t get a great one for my money and end up with rust and/or gearbox issues. Plus it would be a tad hypocritical of me who hates people who live in modern estates and drive clean 4x4’s who never go off road to have a big Disco as although it will be towing every week and going to and from the stables it wont be going into fields and rolling about in the mud as it should be! The Pajero is a bit more economical and being smaller a bit better for little me… I have seen one with 54,000 miles and all the toys which could be a possibility once I have sold my C….

Plus you can get the Pajero in a nice bright red colour – always a bonus for me….!!!

Thanks again..!

The Boss and one of the boys uses Pajeros for thier horses and carriages.

only had a problem with sourcing a clutch for an import once they knew where it was easy