Sign in to follow this  
just_say_meth

passat sunroof

tried searching but just wanted a more definative answer, is the glass sunroof from a passat b3/estate a straight swop for the corrado mechanism or is there a little bit more work involved?

tried searching but just wanted a more definative answer, is the glass sunroof from a passat b3/estate a straight swop for the corrado mechanism or is there a little bit more work involved?

yep, goes straight in.

yep goes straight in. there were a few different types of sliding trim panel covers the glass. But there all a straight swap. Straightforward swap, headlinging out and swap the whole thing over

Gav

Yup, did this a few weekends ago... Need 10 washers just to space the front otherwise the leading edge of the sunroof sits a little proud of the rest of the roof, but other than that it just drops in and looks factory. (there's 4 bolts at the front that need 2 washers on each, and the 2 bolts on either side at the front need 1 washer each... Makes more sense once you've actually got the roof off and you're looking at it!)

Hasn't leaked despite absolutely thundering down this morning. Very very pleased with it...

Makes some difference to the interior of the car! It's sooo much brighter with the glass roof fitted!

One of the best mods I've done yet :wink:

When you are doing it though, don't refit the headlining until you are happy with the fit of the roof, im my experience it takes a bit of playing with the washers to get the roof fitted properly and reduce wind noise!

Doesn't using washers mean that you have a gap between the car roof and the sunroof? Couldn't leaks be a problem?

The sunroofs never fully seal anyway - mine didn't after fitting a brand new weatherseal - at worst you get a few drips coming in, but that's what the sunroof drain channels are for...

not had a leak from either of mine, and not had to use a single washer on either too... 8)

Got it down to under 2 hours from driving up, to driving off for this swap now... 8)

Got it down to under 2 hours from driving up, to driving off for this swap now... 8)

hmmmm...I reckon I can beat that.....challenge you to a race!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sunroofs never fully seal anyway - mine didn't after fitting a brand new weatherseal - at worst you get a few drips coming in, but that's what the sunroof drain channels are for...

Yeah I know the panel doesn't seal in the roof, it sounded like these guys were using washers between the sunroof chassis and the roof of the car which can't be ideal.

andy, they are... it just allows you to get the line of the moon roof to sit flusher with the (very very slightly) different curve of the Corrado Roof... you're talking about a couple of mm difference in how it sits at the very maximum which will make no difference when you think of some of the angles that cars are parked at in the rain without leaking... ;)

Dec, May take you up on that, I've broken (my own stupid fault) part of the mechanism on H-YYU's moonroof and I reckon it'll be cheaper to put in a new one than repair the existin one... ;) *looks around for stopwatch and spare moonroof...* :lol:

just_say_meth, you asked the same question I was just about to! My Roof broke the other day, so going to do this swap.

What reg do the b3 passats run from and to? (Just so I can ask the breakers for the correct year passat...)

andy, they are... it just allows you to get the line of the moon roof to sit flusher with the (very very slightly) different curve of the Corrado Roof... you're talking about a couple of mm difference in how it sits at the very maximum which will make no difference when you think of some of the angles that cars are parked at in the rain without leaking... ;)

Dec, May take you up on that, I've broken (my own stupid fault) part of the mechanism on H-YYU's moonroof and I reckon it'll be cheaper to put in a new one than repair the existin one... ;) *looks around for stopwatch and spare moonroof...* :lol:

Henny does that mean if I use a Passat Sunroof Chassis with Corrado panel it will be a perfect fit?

now why would you want to do that.... tsk tsk tsk. actually Im kinda wondering myself, but I dont think they ever made a passat in tornado red....

I just want to keep my existing panel without having to spend an arm and a leg on corrado sunroof components. If I can use passat bits with my roof panel I'll be well happy..

well I just finished installing a passat moonroof today, my moonroof goes back and tilts and all, just very slowly which makes me think that my motor is going out. (I thought it was going out before but now I know I think, anyway I have 2 passat motors to try out.

as far as passat parts in a corrado sunroof, yes you can use the parts from the slider assembly off any VW A2/A3 chassis with a sunroof, not a moonroof. glass is interchangable between moonroof assemblies but I dont believe the slider mech for a moonroof is the same as a sunroof.

there are a few parts that a Steel sliding sunroof has that a moonroof doesnt:

2 fasteners, 357877269 357877270

2 springs, 357877295 357877296

2 clips, 357877658

and the moonroof has 2 carriers that a steel roof doesnt. 357877317 357877318

oh and I just looked further into it and they are no where near the same as far as locks and guides go. no piece is the same there at all

Wish some of you guys were more local to me,need my roof fixing for summer (broken slide casting)Don't really feel confident of trying to fix it.

yeah I dont fix sunroofs if they are broken, I just buy different ones hahaha!, buy a oassat moonroof from a scrappy !

potatonet, spray the mechanism with some white grease ASAP else you'll snap the cables! This is what causes the wear and breaks them over time...

The passat roof uses (as near as damn it) the same mechanism as the Corrado one, they just don't seem to get used as much in the passat so don't seem to break as often... either that, or the quality inspectors at VW were stricter than those at Karmann when the roof components came in from the suppliers.... :roll:

I like the sound of this mod, has anyone got any pics from inside and outside?

do a search of my posts - i had one fof the first moonroofs about 6 years ago as far as i'm aware - i've fitted numerous roof's for people - the ging rates £120 supplied and fitted....and i'm not that far from lincoln.. ;)

don't have any on this computer!....but I can take some tomorrow morning if nobody else has got any by then :wink: