Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Original rev gauge

Now then, I managed to get some pics of the rev counter last night. I didn't go all the way in ripping it apart - belows a pdf of how to, and also details of parts of the gauge that you could check against a 7K one.

It may be worth while to wear gloves when handling the circuit boards and the PCB.

The rear of the gauge has a sticker with:

333.234/003/003

12v 267HZ

4ZYL/4TAKT

printed on it.

(8000 / 60) * 2 = 267Hz...so that makes sense. The question is: does a G60 rev counter (or any 7000rpm rev counter) have 233Hz printed on the sticker?

I'm just wondering why the rev counter module has seven pins when it only needs three.

bugger,i cant view the pdf for some reason :(

ihi,just waiting on a new part before i take mine apart again :)

neil.

The rear of the gauge has a sticker with:

333.234/003/003

12v 267HZ

4ZYL/4TAKT

printed on it.

(8000 / 60) * 2 = 267Hz...so that makes sense. The question is: does a G60 rev counter (or any 7000rpm rev counter) have 233Hz printed on the sticker?

I'm just wondering why the rev counter module has seven pins when it only needs three.

Yea sorry lost me now? :roll:

Well, like I said before, the rev counter is just a frequency counter. In the case of the 0 - 8k rpm scale it's a 0 - 267Hz counter. i.e. it displays the frequency of the coil trigger (number of sparks per second) as an engine speed.

8000 / 60 gives you the engine revolutions per second The '* 2' is because the coil will fire twice per complete revolution as it's common to all cylinders and two will reach the top of the compression stroke before one of them has complete a full cycle.

Clearer? Probably not. I find it hard to explain stuff like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rev counter gubbins from a Mk2 16v fit the Corrado clocks in fact (with a different gauge face obviously).

I'm positive this job can be done easily one way or another.

ihi,here ya go m8.

pic 1:

remove 1 phillips either side of dials.

this will allow you to pull off the cover.it pulls from the top.

pic 2:

use a fork placed under the needle,to pull it off.

hold the fork evenly and pull smoothly.

also remove the two small flat head screws on the dial face,a watchmakers driver is a must.

pic 3:

1/needle/screws removed.

2/the black face will lift off.

3/you should be faced with a white plastic bezel,this lifts off,it locates on two white pins.

4/and then the pulse sender jobby,good to see that this pulls out too.

be very careful with this though.its located in the circuit board by use of pins.

hopefully,your valver one will plug straight in(cant remember what we have said in the thread)

pics 4 and 5:

these show how the pulse sender jobby locates with the pins into the circuit board.

when placing the needle back on,it dosnt need forcing.

just sit it on at the rest position and apply a little pressure thats all.

hope this helps,neil. :)

lol

The plot thickens...

I just noticed, while doing a bit of 2.0 16v research, that the 9A-engine'd Corrados have rev counters driven by the ECU.

Don't suppose you know what colour wire feeds back from the ECU to the fusebox then up to the rev counter on a 9A, as I have ditched the ECU and cut back the wires. I have kept one black wire (as My Clifford was spliced into it), that has a connection for the (TCI unit I think) that sits on the coil and there is a green wire and a brown wire that went to the ECU.

Don't really want to lose my rev counter and any help would be appreciated as all the wiring diagrams I have downloaded from http://www.msk.volkswagen.ru seem to concentrate on the VR6.

Thanks and apologies for going slighlty off topic.

Nice one riley.

Hopefully good news as i really do think it will fit.

no probs. 8)

i cant see why it shouldn't work really...

the coil type pulse thing will work from the signal its given as bcstudent says above,and then i think? that diffarent ones will be wound diffarently according to range thats all?

good luck,and if you end up with some spare knackered dials give me a shout! :)

neil.

No probs neil just waiting to hear about a set but been waiting for 5 days now so not looking good. :(

i have changed from 1.8 16v to a g60 and the clocks are not fully operational,there are a few conections on the clock to fuse box loom that need to be made,not really a major hastle thou!!!

speedo is cable driven on early clocks,

only has one indicator flasher light,

temp gauge is wired different ,

and early clocks use a metal rear mfa sensor. not the black 2.0,or the blue g60

i have a set in the garage going spare ,would swap for a decent set of g60 clocks.

regards kevin

kevin,are your spare clocks g60 or valver? and are they damaged?

neil.

got both !!!valver ones are mint,g60 ones are also in good nick,but they dont operate the spoiler at speed,currently running late 2.0 valver clocks with g60 rev counter,all great exept the mfa with this set up, not all functions work correct,

if needed have speedo cable and wiring diagrams for the clock swap.

regards kevin

thanks kevin m8,just wondering if you can help us out in this topic?

a few of us needing diffarent bits,could get confusing! lol

cheers,neil. :)

All i need is the part number of the speedo on the 16v clocks.

Unable to swap as needing my original G60 clocks to install the 16v rev gauge.

Thanks Simon

lol

The plot thickens...

I just noticed, while doing a bit of 2.0 16v research, that the 9A-engine'd Corrados have rev counters driven by the ECU.

Don't suppose you know what colour wire feeds back from the ECU to the fusebox then up to the rev counter on a 9A, as I have ditched the ECU and cut back the wires. I have kept one black wire (as My Clifford was spliced into it), that has a connection for the (TCI unit I think) that sits on the coil and there is a green wire and a brown wire that went to the ECU.

Don't really want to lose my rev counter and any help would be appreciated as all the wiring diagrams I have downloaded from http://www.msk.volkswagen.ru seem to concentrate on the VR6.

Thanks and apologies for going slighlty off topic.

I've had a look in the Haynes Passat manual and it's a bit hard to follow. The brown appears to be a live and the green is the rev counter signal cable.

All i need is the part number of the speedo on the 16v clocks.

Unable to swap as needing my original G60 clocks to install the 16v rev gauge.

Thanks Simon

hello mate no probs,just i could do with a set fully working g60 clocks.

i can get you the part number if you need it over the weekend just have to nip down the garage???

parts for clocks from VW are very pricey,they want £200 for the mfa sensor.

make me a decent offer and you can have the full cluster,

remember p&p will be £10

i should know i have bought a few

regards kevin.

neil !!! what do you need mate??

im sure i could find a few bits.

drop me a PM as not on hear to often.

all the best kevin

Well im not in the biggest rush kevin just needing to acquire the parts ready to do the swap, so when you got time can you PM me the part number and also a pic of the 16v cluster cheers then we can talk about the reddies.

Thanks, Simon

neil pm ,replied

no probs on the part number mate shall look it up on the weekend for you .

by the way i wasn't after big bucks for the lot,just i know it will cost a tenner for postage.only trying to help????

regards kevin

OK, before people start parting with hard earned cash, can I throw some light into the darkness of this thread?

1.8 16V clocks were MECHANICAL for the odometer and speedo and had several seperate circuit boards inside them. One of these was specifically for the rev counter which also provided the 2.5K RPM+ signal for the oil pressure buzzer (ie the thing wot tells the buzzer to beep when the oil pressure switch isn't operated and the engine goes over 2500 rpm...)

G60 EARLY clocks were also mechanical odometer/speedo, so the rev counter circuit can probably be swapped over from a 1.8 16V into one of these sets, but I wouldn't guarantee it... however, swapping either of these sets of clocks into a later car isn't all that easy and will involve quite a bit of re-wiring... same goes for putting late clocks in an early (mechanical) car...

G60 LATE clocks had an electronic speedo/odometer (ie 2x LCDs) and a single full size circuit board. The gauge faces and operating coils simply slotted into the circuit board on pins so the 1.8 16V rev counter WILL NOT fit into a set of these clocks.

ALSO: the late G60 clocks (and all later clocks for that matter) use the same sprung coil driver for BOTH speedo and rev counter. It's the firmware on the chip which drives provides the correct voltage to make the needle turn to the correct value. By this token, you can probably get someone to re-program your 7K clocks to read correctly on an 8K scale off a 1.8 16V rev counter face. (IE, swap JUST the face over as mentioned above, but then get the software changed to make it accurate again)

I'm not sure how much that'll cost, but I know places like "digi-dash" can do that...

Hope this clears things up slightly... 8)