Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Dent - Pissed off. :roll:... but not anymore! :)

Here's the story...

Went up to tesco Sunday morning (can you see where this is going?) at 9.30. Emptyish car park so didn't park near a single car but it was blowing a serious gale...

Got out the car and walked for 30 seconds towards the shop, then walked in only to be told that they didn't open until 10, turned around and walked back towards the car. As I got nearer I noticed a single trolley next to my car which seemed a bit suspect as I knew it wasn't there when I parked.

Even though it was pissing it down with wind etc. I could clearly see a dent in my front passenger door just aong the crease under the handle. Gutted. The trolley had obviously hurtled accross the carpark in the wind and hit my car. :(

The paint has cracked where the dent is so the door will need a respray if the dent is to be pulled out and i'm told the rear quater will need to be blended in as well.

Just got back from having a quote from a local bodyshop, they quoted £250 to remove it and a couple of other minor dings + the spray etc.

Does this sound reasonable? Am I better off getting another door? Am I better off just getting a full respray?! Have I got any comeback on tesco for their unteathered trolley?

I'll whack up a picture in a bit, not so snap happy when i'm taking photos of bad bits. :(

:cry:

Oh believe me that trolley never knew it could travel so fast (as I screamed the 'c word').

Just got back from having a quote from a local bodyshop, they quoted £250 to remove it and a couple of other minor dings + the spray etc.

Sounds about right-ish mate.

I would have thought a full re-spray would be pretty pricey but that won't be a problem to a man of your calibre Trig :wink:

I had a similar thing happen at a business park that had huge steel gates. The wind blew the gate onto the side of my car (car was parked in a proper parking space) and damaged the door and mirror. The gate wasn't tethered back and I was able to claim for damages from the insurance company who were responsible for the site.

I'd speak to Tesco - worth a try.

bummer dude... Make Tesco pay! Failing that £250 doesn't sound too bad - g'luck getting it sorted :?

I expect you'll find that they've got a few signs up in the carpark stating that cars are left at the owners risk :(

Otherwise Mr Tesco would be forever paying for trolley dents to be removed

I expect you'll find that they've got a few signs up in the carpark stating that cars are left at the owners risk :(

Otherwise Mr Tesco would be forever paying for trolley dents to be removed

Isn't it the trolley walleys jobs to put the trolleys into the bays with the rest of thm though?

doh! not good news. To be honest £250 doesn't sound too bad. I reckon if you got a replacement door it would cost about £500 to fit and respray. Obviously a complete respray is gonna cost over a grand without even sorting the dent out.

Feel for you mate. I had a similar thing with my car- another car drove into it and dented the door and drove off. Fortunately my cloud had a silver lining. Do you have protected no claims? If so make a claim. The bodyshop basically said it needed a new door and as such the quote came to about £1200, with that ammount of money I was able to get the whole car sprayed. You could always try your luck.

really don't think you will have any joy with Tesco. Especially as it happened when the store was closed. Also it is not quite the same as the business park example above as it would have been possible to sue the park's maintenance company for neglegence as they obviously didn't do enough to secure the gate.

Just been on the blower to tesco and filled in a damaged car form over the phone, have to wait to hear from them within the next 2 weeks. Woman did say that cars at left at customers own risk and there is a sign saying it as well. I think an obvious incident like that should be a payout!

Don't have protected NCD unfortunately.

errr, if there's a sign saying that cars are left there at your own risk, then unfortunately i think your comeback is pretty limited...

£250 though...?! just call your local Dentsmaster (or equivalent) company out to have a look at it - their technology is pretty advanced when it comes to spot repairs like that, and I'm betting they could sort it for less than £100...

I still seriously think you can get something outta them though, as it's the trolley walleys jobs to put them safely into the trolley bay.

If the paint has cracked like you say I doubt Dentmaster would be able to sort it. Lets see some pics!!!

£250 isn't a bad price if they do the job properly because as you say they will have to blend into other panels

Don't have protected NCD unfortunately.

even with a protected NCD.........your premium could still increase.........its only the % discount thats protected

Trig mate, gutted for you, one bute of a car too.

Really hope you sort this amigo, and no harm in trying tescos. If you assume your not going to get out, anything will be a bonus.

I wouldnt go for a full respray, but if they have to order paint theres allways some left over, so take the chance to get anything you want colour coded done or if there are other little niggles do the lot. At least then you'll end up with something better to show for it making good out of bad.

I know if it was me it would just be the stress of getting it sort properly in the first place though. Price sounds good compared with quote ive had round here btw!!

Yeh I think i'm going to go for it, might ring around for a couple more quotes first, pip who was your mate near Newquay who does bodywork?

Here is a really crap picture to give you an idea. I reckon the trolley must have been moving at some speed to have done it. Picture makes it look even worse I reckon!

Yeh I know it could have been a lot worse, it's just one of those things that you tell yourself after was avoidable!

When I called Chipsaway out for a quote for my old Valver they were sh1t!

Despite looking at the back of the car whilst writing the quote form, the woman still managed to mistake my car for a Toyota Corolla :roll:

Their quote wasn't that good either.

£250 seems like a good price to me Trigger, and like Nick said you could get some other stuff colour coded if you want!

triggermyson, I went down to that place in Newquay for a quote - the first thing he said to me was " you know that the new paint will look alot brighter than the rest of the car don't you? " - Bugger that .

The quote he gave me was half the ammount that i've been quoted at the place opposite RKE but I felt I could trust him alot more as he's into car restoration etc so I booked it in there

It might be wise to hang fire and see what his works like on my car before you make a decision?

Oh believe me that trolley never knew it could travel so fast (as I screamed the 'c word').

Sorry about what happened Trig but you gotta say - that must have been a real Basil Fawlty moment.. guy in an empty Tesco car park on a rainy day unleashing £250's worth of stress on a poor old trolley!! :D