Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

great to see your VR yesterday Jim. Looks lovely and the interior is brilliant - makes me want to spend money sorting the seats and so on in mine! No wonder you're so chuffed. Congratulations! :clap:

Cheers Fay / Bally :)

Been out enjoying it again today, but then felt guilty when I saw the 16v all covered in bird crap so dragged that out for a quick wash / dry and got the car cover on it! Won't feel so bad about not using it now that it's protected from the fricking birds.

Fay - sorry for having to dash off. Didn't realise the time and knew I had to get back. Would be good to go out for a spin in your VR next time to see how it drives with the new suspension on, etc and will gladly let you take mine for a spin of course :)

Good stuff on here Jim. I look forward to seeing you and the car at Stanford Hall. Not long to go now!

Nice VR6 Jimbo! will hopefully see it soon mate!!!

35MPG?! i don't think i've ever/will ever see that in my car! :(

at last, its only taken you approx 7 years and 5 months to buy a vr6 :lol: but at least you waited for a nice one to buy.

at last, its only taken you approx 7 years and 5 months to buy a vr6 :lol: but at least you waited for a nice one to buy.

Bit longer than that I reckon Karl - he was driving around his Blackberry 16V way before this forum existed - back in the days of the Yahoo Group!

Got my blackberry 16v when I turned 21.... so over 8 years ago! :|

Indeed. Ever since i joined the forum Jim's been saying he was wanting a hand job. The time has finally come Jim! Enjoy it! :D

Wow, I never knew that! :D

Well done Jim ---at last :lol:

Enjoy it and do the paintwork as and when you can ---- no rush :D :D

Indeed. Ever since i joined the forum Jim's been saying he was wanting a hand job from Kev. The time has finally come Jim! Enjoy it! :D

:lol:

He was shy to ask you Kev. :lol:

Indeed. Ever since i joined the forum Jim's been saying he was wanting a hand job from Kev. The time has finally come Jim! Enjoy it! :D

:lol:

He was shy to ask you Kev. :lol:[/quote:2egr10e6]

PMSL, touche :lol:

Well done Jim ---at last :lol:

Enjoy it and do the paintwork as and when you can ---- no rush :D :D

I saw Jim's VR on Sunday and the paintwork seems to be in pretty good condition, depends how fussy you are I guess. Really nice example Jim :D

Busy (for me) day on the Corrado's..

Swapped the Momo wheel on the VR out for a fairly good shape original VR6 steering wheel. Once that was done, thought I should spend a bit of time pulling apart the interior on the 16v and fixing some problems I've just NEVER got around to sorting out, purely out of lazyness.

First up was the speaker cover on the dash.. I put some nice Kappa Infinity speakers into the dash after one of the factory speakers blew but because it was slightly too tall, the speaker cover never clipped back into place properly and I could never work out a way to resolve it. Today I took the grille off again, scratched my head, and realised the centre part of the speaker was just a piece of plastic trim and nothing that would impact the function of the speaker.. a little bit of force to remove it, still sounds ok, and put the cover back and clipped into place. Woohoo. After that, I was motivated to fix more.

Removed the rear door card which has never been clipped in properly - identified why (all the clips are f*cked)! Then pulled the seats out and hoovered the carpet, pulled up the centre console cause I was fed up of it wobbling around.. also ripped off the tatty handbrake cover and grab handle and the rattling steering column cowling. Needless to say most of it was all tired / fragile plastic and snapped as I was taking it up, however the centre tunnel has all of the little retaining arms at the base in place so just need new press studs to anchor it down properly.

Shopping list from VAG on Monday:

* Door card clips, screws and snap nuts.

* Centre tunnel press studs, handbrake handle and cover trim piece.

* Nuts for the seat which stop them from going all of the way back and coming out of the centre channel.. one side is missing that nut.

* Upper and lower dash cowling.

Was a productive day :)

I paid £3,500 with a pile of spares worth a few hundred quid & a pair of new front tyres to put on... I think it was worth every penny! But then I know that, in the last 12 months or so it's had (at least):

* New 288mm brake setup, rear discs & pads changed

* All engine mounts changed

* Top mounts front & rear changed

* Wheel bearings changed all round

* Ball joints

* R32 wishbone bushes

* Eibach ARB's

* New MAF

* New plug leads, plugs, full service

* MK4 expansion tank

* Rocker cover gasket replaced

* All filters changed

* Thermostat & housing changed

* Brake bias valve

* Headlight lenses

* New fogs & indicators

* Tonnes of interior trim changed, all trim cleaned and reclipped with new trim clips

* TT wipers

* Certified CAT1 alarm installed properly

* ABS sensors

* Marathon underbody clean / treat / seal

* Engine plastics, clips, etc in the engine bay

These are just the bits I know about and that Neil can remember. Needless to say, I think I got a good deal.

That's a very reassuring list :) Gonna get my engine and gear mounts done soon as well as some of those R32 bushes

Looking forward to seeing it at Stanford.

:cry: i'll give you 4

this is the sort of example i'm after!!! if anyone has one i'm well up for payin every penny for it!! :wave:

Busy (for me) day on the Corrado's..

Swapped the Momo wheel on the VR out for a fairly good shape original VR6 steering wheel. Once that was done, thought I should spend a bit of time pulling apart the interior on the 16v and fixing some problems I've just NEVER got around to sorting out, purely out of lazyness.

First up was the speaker cover on the dash.. I put some nice Kappa Infinity speakers into the dash after one of the factory speakers blew but because it was slightly too tall, the speaker cover never clipped back into place properly and I could never work out a way to resolve it. Today I took the grille off again, scratched my head, and realised the centre part of the speaker was just a piece of plastic trim and nothing that would impact the function of the speaker.. a little bit of force to remove it, still sounds ok, and put the cover back and clipped into place. Woohoo. After that, I was motivated to fix more.

Removed the rear door card which has never been clipped in properly - identified why (all the clips are f*cked)! Then pulled the seats out and hoovered the carpet, pulled up the centre console cause I was fed up of it wobbling around.. also ripped off the tatty handbrake cover and grab handle and the rattling steering column cowling. Needless to say most of it was all tired / fragile plastic and snapped as I was taking it up, however the centre tunnel has all of the little retaining arms at the base in place so just need new press studs to anchor it down properly.

Shopping list from VAG on Monday:

* Door card clips, screws and snap nuts.

* Centre tunnel press studs, handbrake handle and cover trim piece.

* Nuts for the seat which stop them from going all of the way back and coming out of the centre channel.. one side is missing that nut.

* Upper and lower dash cowling.

Was a productive day :)

Nice one Jim, good to see you finally getting stuck in and dirty. Must have been the weather as the seats came out of my G60 for a damn good hoover and wash on Sunday too.

As for trim clips etc, I finally reached a point a couple of years ago where I got fed up of not being able to do odd jobs when the weather was good because I was lacking some trim clips. I ended up buying about 30 of each of the major ones (rear door cards, boot quarter turn ones and the serated ones that hold the boot trim surround, upper A pillar etc). I now have a large selection of Corrado grommits, covers, bolts etc and it usually means that if I want to take something off I can safely stick it back on with new clips and no rattles! Oh and some self adhesive black felt is another useful thing to have too.

Cheers Yan. Stupidly forgot the sticky backed felt when I popped into the stealers yesterday. Hopefully will remember when I go back to pick everything up.

Everything was available in the UK apart from the steering column cowling which went onto back order.

I also asked about the obsoleted window regulator rollers as it seems both my Corrado's need replacements. My parts guy did a check on the stock system for other possible dealerships in the UK that might have them so I rang them all yesterday (Southend, Cornwall, Bournemouth) and there were none left anywhere... :(

I also asked about the obsoleted window regulator rollers as it seems both my Corrado's need replacements. My parts guy did a check on the stock system for other possible dealerships in the UK that might have them so I rang them all yesterday (Southend, Cornwall, Bournemouth) and there were none left anywhere... :(

Jim, If you mean the little white rollers (about 1 cm across) I have 2 you can have after replacing my drivers side glass today - could bring them to Stanford?