Storm Warning

Storm Warning's - v3.0 from Page 10

Been about on here for a while, thought it was about time I posted a couple of pics of my Storm...

Edited by Storm Warning

oooh the bosses car :D

And very nice it is too. Although it doesn't grace the car park as often as it should!

Any plans to lower it?

i've been working on him

Phil K, Tape was for a trackday at Cadwell.

Always thinking about lowering it, but something else always comes up. It will be the next thing...after the TT brakes and the BMC..and..the respray and the... um something else that needs doing ;-). Can't bring myself to put a budget setup on the Storm, I would prefer to wait until I can afford H&R coilovers.

Its been sat on my drive for a few weeks now, pads are end of life waiting on a few parts for a TT setup. How I miss driving it, stuck in my oil burner day after day.

Like the filename of the last one :-P

Looks beautiful as it is, best of luck with the Evo feature mate :)

I’m planning on a winter project for my Storm and I plan to share thoughts and progress here on the forum. My plan is primarily around a full respray but I want to make do a couple of other jobs along the way.

As you can see in the earlier pictures in this thread it’s not a bad looking car but there are too many stone chips and odd blemishes now to make a good job of ‘repairing’ the paint to a standard I would be over the moon with.

I want to keep the car as standard as possible and any changes must be reversible. As this may be my daily drive (that said I'm not very good at having just one car ;-)) for a good 12k a year I want to make enhancements like better ICE and a cup holder ;-)

I’m also expecting that given the mileage 94K and age that it may be a good opportunity to do some other work too.

Here is my plan, its work in progress so I’ll keep revisiting as I make decisions and find answers to questions I have – sorry it’s a bit of a brain dump!

Exterior

Full re-spray

• Glass, doors, boot, bonnet and so on to be removed.[/*:m:3mjk94vs]
  • I’ve heard of people changing the paint mix to be softer on the front to assist with preventing stone chips, need to find out more.[/*:m:3mjk94vs]

Not going to put door rub strips back on straight away.

Full width scuttle – possibility – Details TBC

New trim/fixtures

• Roof strips[/*:m:3mjk94vs]
  • Aerial - repair kit and new whip required - £27.64 from VAGParts[/*:m:3mjk94vs]
  • German style plates, possbily a Osnabruk surround[/*:m:3mjk94vs]
  • Headlight covers[/*:m:3mjk94vs]
  • Others TBC[/*:m:3mjk94vs]

Wing Mirrors

• Glass needs replacing, ideally tinted, blind spot curve – Looks like DDI is the place to get these[/*:m:3mjk94vs]

Engine

Chains & Tensioner due?

Oil Cooler – 235mm 16 row.

Detailing, Polished goodies and new fixings where required.

Clutch – Never been happy with it from 35,000 miles recently there is a little juddering.

Suspension

H&R (the std Comfort coil overs) – Or KW V1s, GAZ - similar

Lowered a little to give an even space around the arch.

New Top mounts and Bump Stops – Details TBC

Eibach ARBs - Possibly

Wheels & Tyres

17” BBS RCs Refurbished

ICE

Good powerful head unit – don’t want an amp, integrated Bluetooth handsfree, possibly iPod integration – Looking like the Pioneer DEH-P65BT with an ipod adapter.

Components in font – JBLs

Standard size replacements in rear of some sort – Details TBC

Possibilities

Slight tint to windows like found on some new VAGs – not sure if it would look too non-OEM

Cup Holder!

Remap

312 Brakes – Not sure I am ready for this as I want to see what the daily drive of 17s and lowered is like first.

LPG Conversion – need to research

Centre brakelight, something that looks OEM - but not the stateside solution

Other:

Full Service

4 Wheel Alignment

Time for some research... any comments welcomed.

:-D Most the work will be done by Volkskraft as I would never ever have the time, I will chip in with um..money and a few bits like the ICE. I've been trying to plan a respray for several years and always been too busy to arrange anything must just get on with it this time. Volkskraft will have the car for about 2 months :-)

No need to go mad with speaker cable but an upgrade does help, it will only sound as good as your weakest link in the system.

I know you say you do not want an amp but if you do i have a top of the line Phoenix Gold for sale to run the front end speakers or a JL Audio 300/2 which would fit your needs perfectly, its not about been really loud just enhancing the music more.

It was more of where to put an amp out of the way without trashing trim, I have considered modding the cubby hole passengers side if I got a replacement part - don't want to be without a clean part of trim. How much are you looking for the amps?

Ive just drawn up te list for my winter jobs as well, best of luck getting through them..

The mirrors should indeed be heated and should come on when you switch on the rear heated window..

£300 for Phoenix Gold and £150 for JL Audio, honestly if space is the issue then it needs tha JL Audio.

All you need to do is mount it in the boot on a couple of blocks of wood then make a false floor as a trimming piece, no need for 18mm thick stuff, generally 6mm for trimming stuff but as it will be a useable floor still it may need to be slightly thicker not sure?

All in a days work to be honest.

If interested PM me mate.

Simon

That would be the cleanest method, you would see any empty boot space and not even know anything was in there, just trim the false floor in carpet then it would look standard boot space, just with a solid floor and not flexi carpet.

Pic of my install for the false floor reference

CorradoG60Turbo012.jpg

Pic of the Phoenix Gold amp, hence why i say you need the JL Audio, you would mount the amp under the floor, so alls hidden

P8110017.jpg

Pic of the amp you need

P8110005.jpg

Updated the plan slightly...project was postponed but is going tomorrow for work to start.

-Sourced some wing mirror glass, DDI, but its only curved on the drivers side..

-Oil Cooler, pretty sure I will go for a 235mm 16 row as I don't intend to up the power at the moment I don't think I need any bigger

-Added GAZ coilovers to my short list, just awaiting a quote.

-Decided against going Graphite on the RCs at the moment.

-For the head unit I think I'll go for the Pioneer DEH-P65BT and get the ipod adpater at some point, the model up has ipod built in but I'm not keen on the bright blue illumination. Not going to put in better speaker cable at this time as on the theroy of weakest link i've got to connect it to the tiny wires need the ISO connector at some point.

-Due to the delay the MOT was done, ABS sensors sorted and new P7000s put on.

-Getting a serious case of 'feature creep' on the shopping list, started adding more and more trim and new badges etc.

Just sorting out part numbers now for various parts, is there an easy way to do this? I'm planning on talking to a coiuple of VAG parts suppliers to see what deal I can get.

Well, after a bit of a delay in getting started the project is well underway. Its in the early stages of being painted, so far the body has been prepared and looking great. Couple of hidden little bits of rust were discovered (under O/S wing, rear bumper and filler cap) and have all been repaired. Extremely pleased with how its looking and you can tell they are taking time to get it right.

The pictures here show it with a guide coat of primer hence the mottled effect, its currently being flatted down. Looks like about another week before its all primed and ready to go back to Mystic Blue. I've decided to upgrade on the Laquer to an anti-scratch type, its will be another £300 on the bill but should resist the majority of stone chips.

Jury is still out on the Coilover choices, KW Variant 1s or GAZ are top two at the moment on my list (subject to change). Volkskraft have recommended a Cat Bypass too, which may be added to the list.

Well, here are they pics, (i'm no pro photographer) :D

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfStorm in primer 1.jpg[/attachment:xk1i1oen]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfStorm in primer 2.jpg[/attachment:xk1i1oen]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfStorm in primer 3.jpg[/attachment:xk1i1oen]

Storm in primer 4.jpg[/attachment:xk1i1oen]

Was it not primed in a Baken Oven. I've been spraying cars for 15 years and never paint anything outside an oven. If its primer or topcoat its got to be baked.

Whats this Anti-scatch laquer, you can get a flex agent that goes in the laquer for the bumpers that will help with stone chips, but you can't do hole car :?

I didn't study the booth too much, but I did notice it was totally sealed and lighting was behind shields so I would assume its where is baked too but don't know for sure. The laquer is apparently quite a new product that they've just started using I think, all I can say is I've seen the quality of work they've done and its very impressive.

What kind of heat have they used, you got to have good heat for the paint to cure. Thats why you need a Oven. You can't use 2 pack paint in normal air temp,

if you do it will take about 15 hours to dry, then you trap damp in the paint has its drying. Then you got problems. Whats happen you get Micro blistering.

You won't see it at first, it will come out later. All paint jobs can look all rite at first but won't last.

All good paintshops will have baken ovens. For a good job you need, Good Oven, Good Paint, Good Sprayer end of.

Was it not primed in a Baken Oven. I've been spraying cars for 15 years and never paint anything outside an oven. If its primer or topcoat its got to be baked.

Whats this Anti-scatch laquer, you can get a flex agent that goes in the laquer for the bumpers that will help with stone chips, but you can't do hole car :?

The lacquer sounds like what Mercedes are now using from the factory and its ceramic.

Its designed for people who dont care about their cars and continuously put them through car washes etc.