Kevin Bacon

TT Wipers (arms & blades)

Alright peeps...

Just thought I'd share the progress of my TT wiper conversion.

I was at the Audi dealer last week and spotted the new low profile aero blades on some cars and I fancied a bit of that. My mate who works there dug out a tape measure and we found the TT (2005 model) arms and blades to be the closest match to the C.

I also liked the way the TT arms sit closer to the screen than the Lupo ones and also the fact they are a lot beefier and angled to reduce noise and juddering at speed.

This is work in progress at the moment, but as you can see, the blades meet in the middle. The TT passenger arm is unsuitable as it's far too long, so I need to do some digging and find a slimline 19" blade with the correct offset.

In the meantime, I haven't yet worked out if you can move the centre hinge or not, so I've snipped an inch off the passenger blade and realigned the arms accordingly. So they don't look as messy as they do in preliminary test pics!

They don't look massively different to the lupo ones in the pics, but believe me, in the flesh they are very different and they wipe a lot more of the screen and a whole lot smoother too.

Time will tell if these new slimline blades last any longer than the older style ones, but it was something to do anyway :-)

Both arms and blades came to £80.42p, so cheaper than the Lupo ones anyway!

Arm x 2 - 8N2 955 408D

Blade x 2 - 8N2 955 425E

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Nice one

I'm suprised no-one else thought to try them really :)

I bet they'll hike the price up if they start to sell more!

P.S Sorry about the lens flare, I am a sheeeite photographer. Better pics of the finalised install to follow soon with my proper camera.

Cheers Kev! Good work!

I'm assuming that the base needs grinding back because it doesn't fit into the recess around the spindle for the wipers, because it is, for want of a better description, fatter than the original?

Nah mate, all it is is the base of the arm strikes the plastic cowling slightly when at the max sweep position. The pass side cowling has a lump in it around the wiper shaft for some reason, whereas the driver's side is flat.

You literally just need to grind a small arc into the arm base with a dremel, really nothing major at all. Or you can trim the cowling a small amount.

cool, I think I understand. I'll have a look at mine later on tonight, in the meantime i'm on the phone to southampton audi, who........ don't have any arms, and want £110!!!!! news must have spread very quickly!! is the part number for the arms 8N2955408D?

Absolutely mate, when/if you stick them on, you'll see what needs doing. When the wipers are on, you'll see the plastic cowling lift up slightly as the arm hits it. Should all make sense in front of you ;-)

£110!!

There is a 26% (unofficial) permissable discount on the arms and about 10% on the blades, so try and haggle mate.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the price I paid was the discounted one :oops:

P/Ns are at home but that looks familiar. Basically just 2 x drivers arms and blades.

Basingstoke Audi quoted £33.54 and £10ish for arms and wipers, but he's not sure which arms, he had a choice of 4 or 5, all the same price, and he needed a chassis number, it never fails to amaze me the difference in dealerships.

Hi, the TT setup looks very similar to the cheaper wipers from the aero wiper GB except they need no mods... Is the TT setup better? The aeros make a very clean sweep, but then it causes a fine spray right in the line of sight to appear on the way back down..I think its water trapped where the blade and arm meet or something..

Hi, the TT setup looks very similar to the cheaper wipers from the aero wiper GB except they need no mods... Is the TT setup better? The aeros make a very clean sweep, but then it causes a fine spray right in the line of sight to appear on the way back down..I think its water trapped where the blade and arm meet or something..

I haven't seen the GB wipers so I don't know. If they're just the regular ones you can get from the dealer, then yes the TT ones are better.

There are a number of changes on the TT ones not immediately obvious in the pics.

As for mods, I'd hardly call snipping a bit off the blade a mod, a 2 minute job. For the extra wipe area these give, it's well worth it. As I said at the start, this is still 'work in progress' ;-)

Has anyone tried the MK5 Golf arms and blades, I believe the blades are the right size, just wondering if the arms would be OK, apparently they are cheaper than the Lupo ones

I've finalised the install now and it looks ace :-)

Can't get the pics up as my camera lead is at work, so Monday will reveal all.

Once I find a suitable blade for the passenger side, I'll post it up, but I didn't mind hacking one as an experiment.

Arm x 2 - 8N2 955 408D

Blade x 2 - 8N2 955 425E

I will check the VW arms (MK5 etc) next time I'm at VW. Most manufacturers use them now and most seem to also use the same mounting spline and nut size. So who's going to volunteer to go round all the different makes of dealers with a tape measure? :-)

quality, might go and see my local audi dealership and get these ordered up, still got the standard ones on there!! (mind you, it is summertime-wont be using them for a while!) so i just need the above parts and a bit of a trim on the passenger wiperblade and arm, and it should fit fine ?

Stoney, flusted - Yep in answer to your Qs ;-)

The passenger blade trimmage is just what I did but if you can find a different blade that works, all the better 8) Still working on that.

More shots.....

Any instructions on how you went about it?

My passenger side arm catches, so would be interested to hear how you solved the problem?

Am i the only one who thikns £80+ on wipers is just a little bit stupid???

I have all original VW wipers and theres bugger all wrong wit hthem, they wipe all the screen, dont lift off the screen at speed and are cheap, and no i havnt bent them or buggered about apart from grinding a bit off the edge of hte internal cam in the arm...

I have all original VW wipers and theres bugger all wrong wit hthem, they wipe all the screen, dont lift off the screen at speed and are cheap, and no i havnt bent them or buggered about apart from grinding a bit off the edge of hte internal cam in the arm...

it is stupid but the original arms cant always be sorted like that. i have seen at least 3 revisions of the original arms some of which are just total useless.

on the other side of the coin i have seen some that are spot on and need no bending or changing.

Its annoying that vw never did anything about this to start with!

As for the TT option is does look good, i have been recently looking at sarb 93 turbo arms as an option...

To be perfectly honest, after seeing the difference between uprated wipers such as the lupo units and my shonkey bent originals I think £80 is perfectly sensible

No you're right, you waste your money on stroeve induction kits trying to make your 8V faster instead.

The standard wipers are utter w@nk. We've all done the dremel thing and they're still w@nk.