Kevin Bacon

TT Wipers (arms & blades)

I've just got a pair of blades for £26.95, see :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-TT-WIPER-BLADES-PAIR-8N2955425E-NEW-GENUINE-AUDI-PART-/130675862461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6ce36bbd

I've been quoted £54.44 for each arm from an Audi dealer. Does anyone know where I could perhaps get them cheaper ? Also how do people wangle a discount at the dealers ?

I would imagine that there are plenty of us NA Corrado owners who are looking for something like this. I haven't found anything from anywhere about changing out wiper arms on the NA version of the Corrado. I owned a '90 G60 from 1996-early 2011. I did the grinding of the stops and bending the wiper arm to get it to work. After a year and a half without a Corrado, I had to get back into one. I just traded in a Mercedes E320 for another 1990 Corrado (this one has had a VR6 swap) and couldn't be happier, but the wipers on it are garbage. I can't tell if the previous owner ground down the stops or not...but if I can't tell, that probably means he didn't. I've been researching this for the last 5 or 6 hours. The part numbers listed on this thread appear to be for right-hand-drive Corrados, so they're not going to work for the North America Corrado (left-hand-drive)...the bend in the arm is going to be the opposite direction. From what I can tell, the product number for the North American Mark 1 TT Wiper Arms is 8N1 955 407A, and the wiper blades is 3A1 955 425. I'm not entirely positive on these numbers or if they'll work on a Corrado, though, so don't hold me to it...just putting it here for reference and for any other NA Corrado owners looking to go this route. The dealer wants $109 per arm and $16.50 per blade...so $251 USD total (plus sales tax). I don't have that kind of money at the moment (after having to fix so many other things on the Corrado that sat untouched for 4 years...fuel pump, water pump, power steering pump, A/C compressor radiator, radiator fans, headlight relay harnes [at least it had the e-code lights already], stereo, speakers, door lock actuators, thermostat housing and all temperature sensors).

When I am able to try out the NA Mk1 TT wiper arms on the NA Corrado, I'll report back with the findings.

I did a bit of ringing round Audi dealers to see what prices were like as it finally became time to sort the useless standard wiper operation.

Current prices are about £55 each for the arms and £19 each for the blades. Total about £148 for the lot.

Best price I could get out of Wakefield Audi was £135 on first call. Rang Leeds Audi who quoted same original price but after a bit of haggling best price they could do was £116. Went back to Wakefield Audi who came down to £119 but no further.

Got them from Wakefield Audi in the end as it would have cost £3 in fuel to get to Leeds!

Based on current British Pound to US Dollar conversion, your price of 148 converts to $238.50. I did no haggling, so it looks like the price is in-line with what I'm seeing here in the States. I did take some time to grind down the stops on my original wiper arms and have achieved satisfactory results for the time being. I have other pressing matters that need to be addressed before I spend the money on the TT wiper conversion. Thanks for your input, though.

Got the TT arms and blades fitted and finally got to test them in the rain the other day.

Really great fix to the problem. Low speed they are awesome. I still need to do a few tweaks as there's a bit of chatter (and therefore bits of water left) from the drivers side blade above 55mph and also need to get them to return closer to scuttle.

But an otherwise excellent mod and well worth doing.

Anyone know the difference between 8N2 955 408D and 8N2 955 408A arms? There's a scrappy that has the 8N2 955 408A but I just want to make sure they fit...

*edit* 8N2 955 408A is non aero wiper

Edited by Jamie
Found the answer

I spent hours online looking for a cheap way of sorting this problem - without any joy. Bit the bullet yesterday and bought the lot from TPS for £137.97. No discount as they are 'a special order' but fitted today and the improvement is dramatic. Also fitted HID so now I can see at night AND in the rain. A question, not sure if this has been mentioned before: inspecting the blades it looks as if the rubber insert is symmetrical and could be removed and inserted upside down to double the life of the blade. The intermediate clips look as if they could be removed as do the end caps, any thoughts?

To be honest,mine have been on there for 3-4 years,they are that good,I rarely use them of intermittent ! Haven't experienced any wear yet

Rang round and best price was just shy of £150 for arms and blades which I couldn't face paying. Tried breakers and eBay but no real luck. Breakers were looking for 40 an arm which is insane used. Email guys in Germany and getting a much better price (circa £100 delivered) but they are saying that "The number 8N2955425E includes both sides of blades". Know I need two driver side wiper arms. Would assume that both blades in the pack are the same, but just want to make sure. Do I need two driver side wiper blades, or are they the same on both sides?

Ta for info. Just rang local TPS but £151 :(

Think i'll just buy an extra set of blades from germany as it is cheaper than buying a single wiper blade here for some unknown reason.

Comes to £115 delivered so still saves me a bit.

The blades do last longer. I changed a set on our mk5 golf that had been on the car since new. 7 and a bit years old before they started to split. That's good value in my book!

Spotted a full set of TT aero arms and blades on ebay a few days ago for £48 delivered so snapped them up.

I already knew that the passenger side arm would be too long but had plans on how to get round this. I also didn't want to have to cut the blades to make them fit, due to them hitting in the middle, like you do when using 2 Drivers side arms, so here is what I did when they arrived today.

First off was separating the head of the arm from the main shaft. This was not an easy task and i would not recommend it unless you have a work bench with vice.

To do this I used angle grinder with a thin disc and cut a slit straight through the arm shaft where it goes into the head. I then, after lots of failed attempts to wiggle and bang it apart, cut through the arm at the point where it would need to be cut anyway when putting back together. The remaining bit of arm was then cut length ways into 2 halves. Each part could then be held in the vice on its own whilst a large screw driver and lump hammer were used to smash the head to remove the thin bit of remaining arm. Repeat for the second remaining piece. Hope that makes sense.

The head was a bit scarred after all that hammering and cutting, but nothing a little filling didn't sort. Could do with giving it a lick of paint but it really doesn't look too bad.

After getting the inside all tidied up with a needle file the head was ready to slot back on to the arm. This was easier than expected and only took a few taps to get it into position. I then wrapped it in a cloth for protection and clamped it back up using my metal vice after checking its length was correct and fitted the car properly.

IMG_3556_zpse9889585.jpg

IMG_3558_zps0e0b19ac.jpg

As you can see the passenger arm is slightly longer than the drivers arm, making it the perfect length and not a compromise.

IMG_3559_zps953d92d5.jpg

IMG_3560_zps228775bb.jpg

IMG_3561_zps316b2d3e.jpg

IMG_3562_zpsf4873afb.jpg

If buying new it would be far easier and less hassle to just buy 2 drivers side arms. However if a complete set comes up like they did for me then it is possible to make them fit even better than the 2 D/S method.

The blades after a quick rub of vinegar are in great condition and do an amazing job of cleaning the screen. There is so much pressure on them that on a dry screen they wont get back to the reset position.

Im getting quoted £166.15 for

Arm x2 - 8N2 955 408D

Blade x2 - 8N2 955 425E

direct from main Audi dealer. Anyone know where i can find these any cheaper?

Worth checking eBay - could pick up some pre-owned arms (seems to be a few on there) and then just buy new blades?

Thanks Jim, i just checked eBay.co.uk and searched on the part no. for the arm but i am getting zero listings message?

8N2 955 408D 0 listings

If you see some could you possibly post a link for me.

Cheers

Did you see the one for the Seat Ibiza with the same part number but a 6KN prefix rather than 8N2? Wonder if they're, basically, the same...

Spotted a full set of TT aero arms and blades on ebay a few days ago for £48 delivered so snapped them up.

I already knew that the passenger side arm would be too long but had plans on how to get round this. I also didn't want to have to cut the blades to make them fit, due to them hitting in the middle, like you do when using 2 Drivers side arms, so here is what I did when they arrived today....

Thanks for the write up :) I've just bought a set of TT wipers for £25 delivered off ebay and was thinking of chopping a piece out of the arm and welding back together, but your solution is even neater.

Im getting quoted £166.15 for

Arm x2 - 8N2 955 408D

Blade x2 - 8N2 955 425E

direct from main Audi dealer. Anyone know where i can find these any cheaper?

Hi All,

I just bought two of the 8N2 955 408D new from Audi but am told they don't/won't fit (or function properly because I have a left hand drive car and these parts numbers are for a right hand drive car. Is this correct?

Thanks