Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

New Oil Cooler... too cool

Got my car back after some heavy work at the mechanics...... one of the new things was the 13 bar Mocal Oil Cooler (thanks Flusted). So the advice I had was to not trash (i.e. go over 3000rpm) till you hit 80° for the oil. So It's filled with nice new Mobil-1 and I took it for a nice little drive waiting for the oil to hit that magic number.... after 15 km it was still hovering at about 76°.

So what can I do to change this... as having a nice fast car is pointless if you're not able to drive it fast ;)

For info... the Oil Cooler is fitted behind the front gill longways next to the radiator. So fitted well (possibly too well) for air flow.

1st time i drove mine after fitting mine it didnt go over 76deg for abt 20 miles lol i was well annoyed

Maybe you have fitted a non thermostat sandwich plate on there? Its best to use sandwich one, saves on warmup time and bit of fuel also. For summer is ok but now in winter it can get too cool, same happened to me when I ran a straight plate.

You can order thermostats that open at a higher temperature. I've got a 80 degrees fitted in mine, where the standard one starts opening at 74. Now I can clearly see the temperature gets up to 76-78 rather quickly, and after that it needs a while longer for the temperature to rise above that level. But at that point you can give a little bit of boost and rev the engine somewhat higher than 3000rpm, so that the temperature will rise.

This happens to mine too. It rockets up to 78oC and then slows right down. Obviously there is some calibration error between the sandwich plate and the MFA oil temp. The plate is opening at 78oC, hence the slow down in temperature rise.

Id say it takes about 15 mins to get up there, depending on how many revs you are giving it. I still play it safe and wait for 80 on the MFA, even though it is an extra 5 mins.

Im (un)fortunate that I mainly do longish journeys so its not too bad - it always gets there eventually. If I was pottering around town and it never got to 80 to floor it then I might look harder for a solution.

It may be that at 15yrs old the oil temp sender has drifted out of calibration. A new one might be 'in line' with the thermo plate? But equally it could be the plate that is releasing too early.

Any pics of where people have put the oil cooler on their G60? which one have you gone for? i was thinking of an uprated oil cooler as i have seen people talking of 130 degree oil temps on their G with standard oil cooler.

Where have you fitted the oil cooler??

It's fitted vertically behind the grill, right next to the radiator.

As I had a mechanic fit this I'm not sure if he removed the original oil cooler, but I doubt it. Langauge barier is a little more than I can get over, so things don't always get done as I request... still it gets done. Is removing the original oil cooler (sandwich plate right) easy to do ? Any pics as I'm not sure where it is in the engine....

My cooler hasn't got a thermostat so it's always on.... temp starts at about 56° after a few minutes and then creeps up from there. So the temp looks accurate, just the oil cooler doing a great job.

The temps quite hot here still (at least was at the weekend) it was 24° in Austria and driving fast to heat the oil just got more airflow to the cooler and made the temp reduce 2° :mad:

I think the original oil cooler has been removed, else the water would heat the oil up eventually??

Perhaps you should get a thermostatic valve. Otherwise some tinfoil. :lol:

A thermostatic sandwich plate is essential really. Without it you’ll never get up to temperature in the winter and your engine will run too cool for too long. Minimise the time the engine is warming up (and doing most damage) and get the cooler to kick in at 90 degrees. You can still drive enthusiastically at 78 degrees, the oil is warm and sufficiently viscous by then. There’s no need to be massively obsessed with the “magic 80 degrees”, as long as it’s warm it’s fine. Without a thermostatic sandwich plate though you’ll be doing more harm than good especially if you do lots of small journeys.

I have a 13 row cooler fitted to a MK1 gti filter head. Oil comes up to temp easily and even in the current cool weather. Should be interesting to watch it as Winter comes on.