mic_VR

Glovebox

Quick question, looking to install my new head unit tomorrow and I need to remove the glovebox so I can pull the wiring through neatly.

Had a look this evening and can't seem to get the thing out, is there some kind of special method that I'm missing?

Its a late style dash.

Cheers

Mic

Yes - brute force! Removed mine last week - took me ages.

Have you removed all the screws? Think there are 2 in the top, and 2 in the bottom (under plastic trim). Assuming you have removed all fixings then it really is just a case of applying enough force to pull it through the dash opening.

yeah got all the screws but in classic vw style it still won't go and I didn't want to go all out and then not being able to fix it back in...

Brute force and ignorance, here i come! (best have extra shreddies for breakfast!)

As tonytiger said it's simply a case of brute force and ignorance. There's a stiffener runs along the bottom of the moulding that hooks behind the metal of the dash, once that's cleared everything gets easier. Don't forget to unclip the lamp fitting and tuck it back up through it's hole before pulling the box out too far or you'll be pushing it back in again :)

The two upper screw mounting brakets intafear with removal,they jam against the top of the glove box,even worse on A/C equipped cars.

Don't apply too much force otherwise you could rip out the small brakets,wriggle the box slowly side to side and try and pop the bottom part of the glove box first.

When reasembling,put a smear of grease on the now evident grooves scarred into the top of the glove box caused by the small brakets,much easier next time...

Don't apply too much force otherwise you could rip out the small brakets,wriggle the box slowly side to side and try and pop the bottom part of the glove box first

I tried that - but just couldn't get it to work. Brute force was the only method that worked for me.

once i got it out, if you look at the underneath - theres a raised strip thats causes the removal (and insertion) to be so difficult. Its got diagonal lines inside to make it stronger, full width of the glovebox and around 2" in depth. I filed it down at the ends and I got it in in seconds. = no more annoying glovebox removal problems

once i got it out, if you look at the underneath - theres a raised strip thats causes the removal (and insertion) to be so difficult. Its got diagonal lines inside to make it stronger, full width of the glovebox and around 2" in depth. I filed it down at the ends and I got it in in seconds. = no more annoying glovebox removal problems

That's cheating :wink:

Thread resurectionism time.....

I tried to drag my glovebox out at the weekend, but failed after pulling quite hard. Are there any more tips, or should I just give it some beans? Perhaps squeezing the top and bottom together?

Cheers

Tom

Can't say I've ever figured out a pretty way to do it and I've owned Corrados for 12 years now. Just get hold of the two sides, pull hard and wiggle the whole thing about, it'll come eventually. There can't be many have not been out at some time over the years for stereo and alarm installs.

When I did the climatronic install mine was in and out loads to get the size right as I had to cut about three inches off the back and shape it a lot to clear the huge heater box, it does get easier with repetition!

Just get hold of the two sides, pull hard and wiggle the whole thing about, it'll come eventually.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Once you've got all the screws out and popped the light holder out it's just a case of hauling on it. The bottom of the glovebox is the bit that catches tho, so maybe trying to bend the bottom up a bit might help.

Easiest way Ive found is when youve undone all the screws & removed the gbox light is to press the back of your hand against the bottom flat bit of the gb whilst pressing your fingers on the dash rail(thats stopping you just to pull it out)

So in effect your making the hole where your gb fits into bigger,then just wriggle it out.

Hopes this make sense?

Just get hold of the two sides, pull hard and wiggle the whole thing about, it'll come eventually.

I knew somebody would comment as I was writing that, I just expected it to be dinkus! :lol:

I knew somebody would comment as I was writing that, I just expected it to be dinkus! :lol:

Yeah sorry - the 8hr time difference to Hong Kong dilutes my witty retort response time a bit :lol:

Yeah sorry - the 8hr time difference to Hong Kong dilutes my witty retort response time a bit :lol:

OK, forgiven this time :lol:

I found the easiest way to do it is with two people, one pushing the bottom of the glovebox up and the other pulling it out from the front.

Came out first time for me....

Hmmmm.

I've failed to remove the glove box from either car now... Think a glamorous assistant is required....

Just tried to remove mine but same issue. I have even dismantled the trim under the glove box thinking that may help (should have checked on here first doh) but no luck with getting the damn box out.

Will give it another go tomorrow with a lot more force unless anyone has come up with a better method since 2007?

Take out the shelf underneath the glovebox,one hand pulling,the other up behind pushing, still a schitt job, but doesn't take long !

if you take the bottom shelf out, surely that will give you the required access to the head unit wires? no?

I was so focused on removing the damn box i didn't even think/look at this doh. Will check it out tomorrow

i took mine out the other week,prob ive got now is the trim that covers screws inside wont stay inplace .it keeps poping off when i open and shut the glovebox