Sign in to follow this  
Yandards

New Uprated 80% brighter H4 Bulbs (Standard Wattage)

So, I went to powerbulbs and saw the H4 power bulbs by Philips, are people saying that this are the boys to go for and even better with an uprated loom, but not one from E-Bay.

Any help with this would be great.

A217 5 times a week, not good with crap lights but from what I have read bulbs need changing every 2 years anyway so it seems a uprated loom as well as new bulbs would help a great deal

I've got the Halfrauds 50%ers at the mo (had to buy on a Sunday!), and a loom from venom that, with a yearly WD40ing, has had no probs apart from a couple of fuses in 5 years. Lights are great. Like the idea of more light from the Phillips though......

I've just fitted one halfords super brilliance bulb, to see what the difference is. I guess i'll find out tonight... So far i had a quick look and dipped beam in the middle of the day looks brighter. Don't know about full beam though, but it's mostly dipped beam i want to improve...

morpheus20170, I made my own loom, I bought a second hand one for inspiration, and went to maplin.co.uk. I'm planning on writing a proper thread on it, as after the RR day a few of us got talking and the consensus of opinion was that most of the bought ones weren't really up to scratch.

I think with a little bit of work and spending a few quid you can build a far superior item. At the end of the day you'll spend £50ish on one already built, but for £50 you can buy better components...

just fitted the same halfords super brilliance bulbs to my mams vr as the lights are terrible, and guess what - still terrible

Guess I am going to have to make up an uprated headlight loom then...

Hmmm - I've just fitted the brilliance bulbs and they are noticably better than the 2 year old Osram Silverstar's that were in before - I have got new lenses tho and a 4 relay loom...

I've got one of the super brilliance bulbs in to compare with the other one, and although it looks brighter if you drive up to, say a set of garage doors. I don't think I can see any more when i'm driving. The only thing i can put this down to is taht the alignment isn't quite right, i think my drivers side light now points too far to the left, so the focused center of the two beams coincide at probably 20 yards or so. does anyone know how they are supposed to be lined up?

also available from: http://www.autolamps-online.com

Well, with the nights long and dark I've ordered a pair of these from autolamps-online (£24.99). Will report back on how they are.

Turns out these guys have not got any in stock at the moment either. Nice of them to mention that on their website. :x Grrr. Apparently everyone is waiting for deliveries from Philips. Hopefully I'll get these while the nights are still long.

Hmmm - I've just fitted the brilliance bulbs and they are noticably better than the 2 year old Osram Silverstar's that were in before - I have got new lenses tho and a 4 relay loom...

After reading supercharged thread on these bulbs being BOGOFF and blowing a bulb last saturday night (typical; No posing round town at 1am)

I went and bought two for £14.99 at halfords,

a Place I dont normally frequent.

But I have to say with An upgraded loom with waterproof fuseholders these Bulbs are a major Improvement on OEM and OEM+headlight loom that was fitted before,its more Brighter and a whiter light.

With Two ordinary bulbs for £10 in there in a dual pack its a no Brainer to pay the extra fiver for such a big difference.

I didnt bother upgrading the inners as they were £19 for h3's if thats the right fitting.

Thanks To All posters,Yandards + Supercharged

Woo hoo, the Philips X-Treme power bulbs finally arrived today. Looks like anybody with them on back order may be starting to receive them. When I get round to fitting these I'll report back on what they're like.

where did u order them from in the end mate?

also available from: http://www.autolamps-online.com

I ordered a pair of these from autolamps-online (£24.99 including delivery). If you're thinking of ordering a set, ring them first to confirm they are in stock - the website mentioned nothing about them waiting for stock when I ordered mine.

Still waiting on mine from the website I ordered from on the first page of this post.

Any update on if these are a noticeable improvement?

i need some of these, the C failed the MOT for a dodgy bulb pattern, figured it was the perfect time to upgrade.

Anywhere still got em in stock?

Sorry Yan, haven't fitted them yet and am out in the US now until 12th Feb. Should be fitting them when I get back.

After reading supercharged thread on these bulbs being BOGOFF and blowing a bulb last saturday night (typical; No posing round town at 1am)

I went and bought two for £14.99 at halfords,

a Place I dont normally frequent.

But I have to say with An upgraded loom with waterproof fuseholders these Bulbs are a major Improvement on OEM and OEM+headlight loom that was fitted before,its more Brighter and a whiter light.

With Two ordinary bulbs for £10 in there in a dual pack its a no Brainer to pay the extra fiver for such a big difference.

I didnt bother upgrading the inners as they were £19 for h3's if thats the right fitting.

Thanks To All posters,Yandards + Supercharged

Have also gone the "BOGOFF" route at Halfrauds, now all I have to do is take the bloody engine bay to bits to put them in!

Dear VW thanks for making it si I have to pull my car to bits to replace a bulb! :roll:

Still waiting on mine from the website I ordered from on the first page of this post.

Any update on if these are a noticeable improvement?

Same here.....

No mention of stock shortage in the confirmation emails you get.

See a few folks worried about uprated looms on here. The one I run in my Mk1 golf is similar to the one I've just got hold of for my rado. A guy who lived local to me made them.

His looms fitted into the original headlight loom. meaning if you had any problems you could just unplug it and and reattach your old loom.

As for the worries about the damp getting in, nobody thought of using marine grade fuses and relays?? ;)

Apparently everywhere has run out of stock of these. Most places are taking orders for delivery in March

Put my order in before Christmas as did most people on here, I think someone has got a set, just wonder if they are any better.