Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Confirming petrol tank size..

My 2.0 16v is obviously a later car - a 1994 on an L reg.

Recently whenever i've been letting the car run down towards the red, i've found that the most I can ever get in the car is about £46 of petrol or around 50 litres..

They're supposed to have 70 litre tanks.. so does that mean that the sender / float setup in the tank is basically telling me i'm into the red when in fact i've got another 20 litres or so left before i'm out?!

I've drained the VR down past the red, and it's been sitting on the white line BELOW and it's still never missed a beat. I got about 65 litres into it on those occasions.

I think you can tell what size tank you have simply from the shape of the boot floor. Space saver spare generally means 15 gallon tank.

How far off the red are you when filling up? You'd be surprised how long the remaining fuel can last when you hit the red.

Maybe your float sender needs recalibrating. There is an adjustment on it to reset the 'empty' stop.

Yeah.. got a space saver alright.

Knowing that I still have 20 litres to go, i'm gonna have to get a bit more brave and see just how much I can get outta one tank!

How far off the red are you when filling up? You'd be surprised how long the remaining fuel can last when you hit the red.

Maybe your float sender needs recalibrating. There is an adjustment on it to reset the 'empty' stop.

Well I have, in the past, gone about half way into the red (between where the red starts and where the white line is) but then the gauge is so sensitive to the angle that the car is at, that you can never really tell what level you're at unless you come to a complete stop on perfectly flat ground!

Does sound like it needs recalibrating though...

I find that once the needle stops being so sensitive to movement/angle of the car, I'm generally getting very low on petrol.

I've got close to £70 quids worth of petrol in her in the past.

Crikey. Would be a bit of a shock I ever got the car that low... don't think i've ever had to put any more than about 52 quid into any of my Rado's!

Does sound like it needs recalibrating though...

It's probably fine, as long as it reads full when the tank is full..

Aye - it does. Never stays there for long though. My Golf TDI used to take about 70 miles of driving before it budged from the top! :(

I've had mine down below the end of the red and it's still been going strong - although I did get 60 odd litres in there after that...

i'm gonna have to get a bit more brave and see just how much I can get outta one tank!

Carry a petrol cannister in the boot 8) although some people dont like to do it...

Id advise changing the fuel filter for good measure if you do actually run out though!

Neil.

Yeah.. i've no idea when the filter was last done so thats on the cards anyway!

My G60 is the only car I have ever managed to run out of petrol in :-( was too used to my 16v Golf still going strong well down into the red, my C on the other hand conked out before it got to the bottom of the red, was gutted as I thought the crank pulley had gone again, so I stripped it all down only to find everyting was fine.... Then took the fuel filter off and switched on the igniton only to find it pushing out air :oops: my misses is still laughing about it now! But I never let it get into the red anymore, still cost me £60 to fill up from just aboue the line though!

Almost exactly how much money it costs to fill mine up from red so it doesn't seem like a fault with your car. Also ETOS does say that the 9a does use a 70ltr tank and the KR uses a 55ltr, i'm stumped on that one.............

I have a feeling the senders are the same for both size tanks on the valver so the later cars may effectivly have a 20 ltr reserve!

I wouldn't worry about it Jim, as long as the gauge works consistently don't change it - next you'll be complaining when it costs you £70 to fill up :lol:!

I always felt the corrado fuel tank has a much more progressive indication than my mk.II. I can get around 400 miles out of the mk.II to a tank but it is into the edge of the red by around 200 odd.

Supercharged the senders may be the same but as long as the tank is the same depth you should still get an accurate reading.

Jim try this to give you a rough idea of how much you have left in the tank. Fill the tank up and keep going until you hit the next nearest full litre figure on the pump. Then reset your trip meter and drive like you normally would until you need to refuel - again around where you would normally feel the need to refuel. Brim the tank to the nearest litre again and note how much you have put in. Also note the mileage covered and the work out your miles per litre, if you put 50 litres in and you managed to get 350 miles out of those 50 litres then your m/l is around 7. I would not want to leave less than 5 litres in the tank due to gunk etc so you have another 15 litres of usable fuel remaining or another 105 miles! So reset your trip meter again and next time don't refuel until you hit 450 miles this time. Again brim the tank and if you have used about 65 litres, then you can safely leave filling up until a bit furthur down the road next time!

Yeah.. got a space saver alright.

Knowing that I still have 20 litres to go, i'm gonna have to get a bit more brave and see just how much I can get outta one tank!

Jim, the 55L tanks give a stepped boot floor, i.e. the sides behind the wheel arches in the boot appear several cm higher than the main boot floor. 70L tank floors are just flat right across, and as said, the spare wheel recess will only hold a space saver.

When you get onto the edge of the red, why not lift the access panel to the top of the tank and peer in?