Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Oops seem to have broken something....

Ok sorry to bother you guys but whilst trying to fix some issues I have with my braking I've accidentally broken something else on the car :(

DSCF0010.jpg

Its the bit currently held on with cable ties. Anyone know what it is/part number so I can get a new one? I've tried to repair it as best I can but not sure what effect it'll be having on the motor as it's still leaking oil/pressure under load.

Any help would be appreciated.

oooh while we're on the subject of broken things, any idea what this is etc?

DSCF0009.jpg

It was already broken when I brought the car but seems like a good time to replace it

Hey I just broke that thing in the second pic whatever that is :lol: Just where your leftmost arrow is pointing, the big lumpy bit broke off the pipe heading off to the left of that pic?

Technical terms being used here :lol:

I had a broken PCV for ages, tried a fix with super glue after cleaning it up first with brake cleaner and it seems to have held OK, it's lasted three months now anyway. I haven't yet managed to break the ISV so no comment there :lol:

mic_VR,

The broken part leaking oil / vapour is the engine breather hose and fuel vapour recovery system. It allows the fuel tank vapour to be burnt off when the engine is warm rather than just venting it to the air.

Do a search for 'carbon AND canister' it can be removed easily and the vent piped either into the inner wing or the lower half of the air box so the vapour still gets burnt off.

I've just removed all this stuff from my car and piped the engine breather from the rocker cover into the inlet hose, but I plan to add a catch tank to get rid of the oil before putting the vapour back into the inlet. Depends how much you get really.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks guys, this is all good stuff.

CrazyDave, I'll be looking at the threads about what you've done to yours. Is it a case of removing the whole carbon canister and all the tubing etc? This could be useful as I was thinking of putting a cold air feed in somewhere and IIRC the carbon canister is directly below the airbox?

diggerbucket, more technical names than my deescription, i just drew arrows! :lol: :roll:

Pretty much remove most of it, seems to be a mix of opinions on if you should pipe the tank vent to the airbox or not? I'm going to give it a go as I don't like petrol smells.

Leave the solenoid valve that's fitted to the inner wing. The ECU may throw a fault if you unplug it? But mine will be running a standalone ECU so I've removed it.

Yes, carbon canister is below the airbox so ideal for cold air feed.

Have fun!

PS looks like you're missing the upper heat shield from the back of the engine bay?

you have a strange arrangement with the HT leads there, that would irritate me if I looked at it for too long.

sort them out, and take another pic, so I can sleep tonight :)

Therapor, sorry mate, didn't mean to cause any mild insomnia.

Strange in what way? I aven't touched the leads since I got the car but to be honest half the stuff I've found that has had a dodgy repair so leads all messed up wouldn't surprise me.... might explain why I've got a slight missfire....

Let me know what to do and I'll do it, take a pic and you can get some rest! :lol:

Thread Resurrection...!

Sorry to open this thread again. Looking at the 1st pic, my VR doesnt have the circular Valve. It has the thinner rubber tube coming out of an air intake, then theres a plug, THEN it goes straight into the block. Nor does it have the pipes going over the top of the thinner pipe that goes into the head- instead one single pipe goes under it and to another sensor in the air intake. But it doesnt split. Am i missing something which is necessary?

Shown in pic-

Critical_Mass, I think some people just remove the pipe as it's pretty brittle in places and is easily damaged but TBH I would love to know what the best answer is for this because my VR is still not running right and I don't think having the broken tubing glued together as I have at the moment is helping matters.

Anyone out there know what is the best solution? Replace vs Remove.......

Oh and I've now replaced the ISV damper box (2nd pic) and put the leads on the holders in the correct layout (sorry Therapor)

well as long as the tubing that was there wasn't leaking air then I don't think it would run badly. Its causing problems on my car because the engine isn't able to maintain the air pressure it needs.

It's like if you start the car with the oil filler cap loose/off the engine, the car starts but tries to stall straight away unless you've got the throttle open and even then it'll run really rough.

I am hoping to get a new valve and the pipework for it over the next few weeks so that I can clean up all the air intake and throttle body, which at the moment I can't do because its too badly damaged and I know if I take it off it'll never go back on!

Is yours running rough at the moment? If not i'd be interested to see a pic of your setup to see if I can re-arrange mine.

Critical_Mass, mine was set up exactly like yours is when I bought it. Ran fine, but I have since bought a new valve from Ford, because without the valve a little oil makes it into the intake. Also need the hose that connects to the top of the valve- trying to source one from a car being broken.

My valve was completely shot, the car ran fine, and that didn't change when i replaced it with the new ford item.

In fact, i went on a rolling road whilst it was still broken and got good power so i wouldn't think it would affect how well it's running too much!

ps, if your wondering what the power was - 201bhp completely standard.