Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

MOT question?

Hi

I've got my 1st MOT with my C coming up and am a little worried about something.

The washer jets have been removed from the bonnet, the holes have been filled and painted etc.

So I don't have any washers, is this an automatic fail?

It's passed at least 3 MOT's in this guise before but knowing my luck I'll get stung if it's not kosher.

What do you think?

Ta

ST

not too sure about that one...although inmy work, we have sent cars up to MOT and the have ahad an empty washer bottle and they have failed...i could check it out ofr ya 2moro....

no washers=mot fail

if the washer bootle and pump is still there and working, run some pipe to the wiper arms,split the pipe with a 'y' pipe to make one pipe for each wiper arm, run each pipe up an arm with end in the middle of the wiper blade (just tape the pipe to the arms) test to make sure the water to hitting the windscreen and the wipers are clearing it, that will pass your mot, once its passed and your home again remove all the pipes untill next year

I am pretty sure it is a requirement that they work if fitted but I am not sure that you need some.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll have to pull the car from the MOT then.

I delved into washer wiper combo's when I first got the car, mainly because I wanted the washers back on (coz they're pretty useful really) but susequently forgot all about it until now.

I'd like to have the jets on the wipers but that's made a bit more difficult having the aero wiper arms fitted.

Aero wiper washer jets anyone. :D

ST

Tape or fix a couple of mk 5 Polo ones under the edge of the bonnet and plumb them in They are designed to work from that kind of position so will probably be good enough to get you through the MoT.

its a merc sprinter that has the clip-on ones on the arms isn't it?

try that at a scrappy?

Went to MOT tester today and he confirmed that no jets is a fail.

Tape or fix a couple of mk 5 Polo ones under the edge of the bonnet and plumb them in They are designed to work from that kind of position so will probably be good enough to get you through the MoT.

I'm interested in this.

Is it only the mkV Polo that has them or do others as well?

I'm not up on my Polo's, what year are the MkV's?

Ta.

ST

P.S. Will look around the supermarket car park tomorrow to see if I can see some others.

Think if you can rig up any kinda washer thing it should pass. When we took our 1965 Splittie for an MOT we didn't have anything washerwise (the washer bottles are so expensive) so we got a washing up liquid bottle, put water in it and connected it with pipe and gaffered it all up. Was manual but it passed.

The MOT testers did give us some funny looks tho

Think if you can rig up any kinda washer thing it should pass. When we took our 1965 Splittie for an MOT we didn't have anything washerwise (the washer bottles are so expensive) so we got a washing up liquid bottle, put water in it and connected it with pipe and gaffered it all up. Was manual but it passed.

The MOT testers did give us some funny looks tho

My splittie single cab passed with a Garden Ctre Flower mister and no side windows.. Just reach out and spray! :lol:

And yeah the price of splittie washer bottles (or more importantly the cap) is mahosive!

My splittie single cab passed with a Garden Ctre Flower mister and no side windows.. Just reach out and spray! :lol:

Quality. Im sure MOT testers do have sympathy with Classic Veedub drivers.

Its just nice to drive in to a MOT station and see everyone shake their head at the ratty, slammed bus but when the MOT is done everyone comments on how solid and sound it is. Kinda wish we still had the bus!

Mind you the Trekker gone a Ban notice on it, thanks to VOSA doing an inspection the day it came in!

Mind you it did look worse than it was..

Wasn't that bad, just 1/2 a floorpan split (and the passenger seat runners sticking through!)

£500 worth of welding and it was sorted, and then sold :(

Went to MOT tester today and he confirmed that no jets is a fail.

I'm interested in this.

Is it only the mkV Polo that has them or do others as well?

I'm not up on my Polo's, what year are the MkV's?

Ta.

ST

P.S. Will look around the supermarket car park tomorrow to see if I can see some others.[/quote:3f761]

My Polo GTI is 2000 and has the under bonnet washer jets. They are probably std on most VWs now

Thanks VR6 South.

Went to my local VW stealer this morning and checked out the cars on the forecourt. Found a 2003 Golf with the washer jets you mentioned so went in and ordered a pair. Will probably be a right pain to fit but you never know unless you try. I can always zip tie the tube to my wipers for a temp MOT pass while I work out how to fix the jets.

Thanks

ST

Hi

I've got my 1st MOT with my C coming up and am a little worried about something.

The washer jets have been removed from the bonnet, the holes have been filled and painted etc.

So I don't have any washers, is this an automatic fail?

It's passed at least 3 MOT's in this guise before but knowing my luck I'll get stung if it's not kosher.

What do you think?

Ta

ST

Drill a hole in yer scuttle and put the washer jet on there and a wee bit of rejigging of the plumbing and hey presto job done.

Works for me!!

Get a Ka washer jet as they only have one as standard and it has 4 jets out of it,

Don't know about the heated as i don't have a ka one and my car is never out when it is that cold.

its a Ford.............course its not going to be heated :roll: :D

seriously tho AFAIK the Ka ones won't be heated,( well all 3 Ka's we've had have never had heated washers)

its a Ford.............course its not going to be heated :roll: :D

Yeah, fair point. You're lucky they've even got washer jets :lol:

Picked up the jets today and from a prelim' look it seems like a no go.

I'll either try and get some that fit the scuttle panel or just wrap the tube around the wiper for a temp fit.

ST