Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Front spoiler bracket kit feeler

Whilst working to get my Rado on the road I noticed the front spoiler was very loose. Upon closer inspection the reinforcement plate was missing and so were the screws leaving it flapping about.

I decided to make up some Stainless clamp brackets to fix it as I didn't know what was missing. After a couple of proto's I was very happy with the result - the spoiler felt very secure again.

I've today replaced them with the original VAG plate and screws totalling £35, the 5 screws being £10 :shock: . Interestingly the spoiler didn't feel much more secure than my clamp brackets which got me thinking, could this be a big saving for forum members?

Would be interested to know how many of you have corroded or missing front spoiler fixings and need a good cheap fix?

I'm looking at a kit of 5 brackets with bolts in Stainless, aiming for a kit price of between £10 and £15.

Appreciate peoples thoughts on this - good or bad.

Thanks

Dave

Sounds good Dave..

Would there be any way of making these so that the spoiler could be taken off and fitted quite quickly? The standard bolts are a bit of pain...

what would be handy is a pair of braces that could be attached to the inside of the the corners of the splitter to prevent the cracking that seems to effect all the 90mm splitters, even before mine was lowered and i hadnt hit any thing with it, it still cracked, i recently removed my splitter and fitted a strip of L shaped aluminium all the way along it and braced both corners and it has been fine even after running over a dead fox, it made a heck of a thud under the car and also cleaned the oil off the bottom of my sump but the splitter was fine (well apart from being covered in bits of dead fox).

Sounds good Dave..

Would there be any way of making these so that the spoiler could be taken off and fitted quite quickly? The standard bolts are a bit of pain...

Probably not, I think there would need to be mods to the car to make this happen.

what would be handy is a pair of braces that could be attached to the inside of the the corners of the splitter to prevent the cracking that seems to effect all the 90mm splitters, even before mine was lowered and i hadnt hit any thing with it, it still cracked, i recently removed my splitter and fitted a strip of L shaped aluminium all the way along it and braced both corners and it has been fine even after running over a dead fox.

This an interesting idea, I'll look into it. Did you fit the braces inside so they're not seen and how did you attach them?

Thanks

Dave

The L shaped ally is curved to fit the inside of the lower lip of the splitter and is attached by pop rivots along the bottom edge so they cant be seen, i also re-painted the splitter using some bumper and trim spray from a local motor factors which also covers up the rivots.

Sounds good Dave :)

Any chance you could also make the metal bonnet cable clip that always fails? ;)

Sounds good Dave :)

Any chance you could also make the metal bonnet cable clip that always fails? ;)

I can have a look, where is it on the car?

Hmmm, can't find any pics and mine doesn't have one!

It's near the handle near the fuse box tray/cover. It's attached to the cable and it holds the cable to a metal bracket which the handle is also attached to.

Anyone got any pics? :lol:

Ok I've made some small changes to the bracket but could do with someone in Notts/Derby area (preferably with dodgy fixings) to come over to my place for a free trial just to get some feedback on the brackets.

Any takers?

Thanks

Dave

I've got a set of these brackets up for grabs but I'd like some feedback when fitted. I only want the cost for post & packing on this 1st set.

The original single piece bracket needs to come off first.

Ta

Dave

brilliant idea Dave, I'll take a set when you have your little production run going :)