Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Mocal fitting advice on VR6

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a Mocal but undecided if I should attempt to fit it myself. In theory it seems a relatively straight forward job, albeit for all the other parts that are in the way. For those who have fitted them could you give me instructions, and pointers to watch out for like what parts need to be removed.

Thanks in advance.

From my experience of removing one... Id be keen on taking the front off the car to get better access, then remove the existing plate and centre tube running through the existing oil cooler, put the new plate against it, and replace the centre pipe and cap with the new items that are supplied. The cooling radiator would then need mounting in your chosen position, and pipes clamping up out of the way.

If you want a hand, bring it down, We could put the front up on blocks to get better access, in a similar style to mine the other day. Thinkk Goldie is looking to fit his as soon as he gets a new radiator and pipes, could do them both at the same time?

Im not happy with the pipes and heat exchanger that comes in the kit so the plan is to get some stainless hose conenctors, braided hoses and a smaller heat exchanger..

Seems there are a few places to put them, im going to try and put mine in the bumper in front of the rad. You can put them next to the radiator (Drivers side) and right at the bottom of the bumper (Passenger side) on the corner although it wont get as much airflow through it in this position.

Im a bit broke at the moment so mine will have to wait a little while....

I just realised I was more thinking aloud than writing a post.... :oops:

Goldie I guess you'd agree that it'd be a great deal easier with the slam panel out of the way? It's pretty straight forward, just a bit fiddly to get everything lined up...

Seems there are a few places to put them, im going to try and put mine in the bumper in front of the rad. You can put them next to the radiator (Drivers side) and right at the bottom of the bumper (Passenger side) on the corner although it wont get as much airflow through it in this position.quote]

Re sticking the cooler down in the bumper passenger side, you're probably right that it won't get the clean air flow down that it would get by sticking in front of the water rad, but I have no problems on mine with it down in the bumper. My temperatures range around 96-98 and never go over 100, so its clearly doing its job (bearing in mind it used to be up around 106-112 before the 'charger). My induction kit is down in the bumper aswell, and there are no problems with that not getting enough air to it!! :D

I just realised I was more thinking aloud than writing a post.... :oops:

Goldie I guess you'd agree that it'd be a great deal easier with the slam panel out of the way? It's pretty straight forward, just a bit fiddly to get everything lined up...

Yeah, id connect to the existing cooler with the panel off then refit and mount it all up before th bumper goes on...

Re sticking the cooler down in the bumper passenger side, you're probably right that it won't get the clean air flow down that it would get by sticking in front of the water rad, but I have no problems on mine with it down in the bumper. My temperatures range around 96-98 and never go over 100, so its clearly doing its job (bearing in mind it used to be up around 106-112 before the 'charger). My induction kit is down in the bumper aswell, and there are no problems with that not getting enough air to it!! :D

Fair one Charlie, the car that the kit was taken from didnt look particularly well fitted TBH so maybe thats why im feeling the need to shift it...

i fitted mine last week, easy to do :) apart from when i was doing mine, i broke the crack pipe :( serves me right for being so brutal i suppose. i have a mate who makes up custom hydraulic hoses for everything from 125cc mopeds to Caterpillar land movers. and he said not to go braided as you cannot get enough bend in the pipe required to go around the radiator etc etc, it will 95% bend, but you have the chance of cracking the inner pipe. so we went ahead with some industrial oil hose (tested to 2500psi) he charged me £30 for the hoses/connectors. 8)

in the week i have been running it (19 row) the hottest oil temp has been 86c 8) and mine is mounted in front of the radiator next to the nearside headlight.

karl

i fitted mine last week, easy to do :) apart from when i was doing mine, i broke the crack pipe :( serves me right for being so brutal i suppose. i have a mate who makes up custom hydraulic hoses for everything from 125cc mopeds to Caterpillar land movers. and he said not to go braided as you cannot get enough bend in the pipe required to go around the radiator etc etc, it will 95% bend, but you have the chance of cracking the inner pipe. so we went ahead with some industrial oil hose (tested to 2500psi) he charged me £30 for the hoses/connectors. 8)

in the week i have been running it (19 row) the hottest oil temp has been 86c 8) and mine is mounted in front of the radiator next to the nearside headlight.

karl

Interesting stuff Karl, what colour are the hoses you have been supplied with and are you connectors stainless? Also what size heat exchanger have you got?

Im intending to mount mine in the same place you have done yours, i reckon itll fit there nicely even with the AC condensor fitted...

I may have to ask you to get me some bits in the not too distant if you wouldnt mind...

hi michael,

the pipes are boring black mate, but you could have them bright purple with yellow spots, it would not matter which you chose, as you cant see them anyway :)

the connectors i think are stainless?? but they have all been zinc passivate coated??? that is what i was told anyway. when you say heat exchanger?? do you mean the oil cooler radiator?? or have i missed something when doing it :(

i have no problem with getting him to make you some pipes up mate, they may not be at the mates rates though?? but still loads cheaper than pirtek etc etc.

karl

hi michael,

the pipes are boring black mate, but you could have them bright purple with yellow spots, it would not matter which you chose, as you cant see them anyway :)

the connectors i think are stainless?? but they have all been zinc passivate coated??? that is what i was told anyway. when you say heat exchanger?? do you mean the oil cooler radiator?? or have i missed something when doing it :(

i have no problem with getting him to make you some pipes up mate, they may not be at the mates rates though?? but still loads cheaper than pirtek etc etc.

karl

Boring black is good and coated connections sound ideal. Aye, the heat exchanger is the radiator.

Ill get back to you when i have some pennies together to sort it out, ta very much....

KADVR6? Did you remove the oil-to-water cooler and join the water pipes, or mount the sandwich plate directly on top of the cooler? If the latter, where did you get the right length centre bolt from? Thanks

hi michael,

karl

Boring black is good and coated connections sound ideal. Aye, the heat exchanger is the radiator.

Ill get back to you when i have some pennies together to sort it out, ta very much....

Give me a shout about this... I know a local place that will kock hoses up to your specs. Could probably arrange to get the VAT knocked off ;)

Fla i removed the air-to-water cooler completely, and yeh just joined up the 2 pipes with some stainless pipe and 2 jubilee clips.

karl

karl

hi im just starting to try to fit my oil cooler kit its a 16 row and just wondered if you or any one else has any pics of theres mounted? im looking at putting it in front of my water radiator.

thanks

here is where i fitted mine, and they really do get battered there. the cooler was brand new 8 months ago, think i will put some fine wire mesh on the front for some added safety from flying stones??

karl

hi james, long time no hear mate. i dont really have a clue why it looks so battered??? maybe doing 120mph+ regulary makes the little stones that hit the oil cooler feel like big boulders???

it was also sat in my damp garage for about 12 months before i got my arse into gear and fitted it :)

quick question to you all, did you remove the original oil cooler or keep it and use both? as iv been reading on the vr owners club that most people have removed theirs and just linked the water pipes together?

thanks

The on i have, which i havent got round to fitting yet, mounts onto the existing one with a longer bolt that came with it...

quick question to you all, did you remove the original oil cooler or keep it and use both? as iv been reading on the vr owners club that most people have removed theirs and just linked the water pipes together?

thanks

I removed the original cooler and simply used a hose from the crack pipe to the block. Also be careful as the plastic crack pipe is delicate to say the least. I'd recommend replacing the plastic crack pipe with an aluminium one from guvern.

hi all, just thought id post some pics of my cooler now iv got it fitted finally and thanks to everyone for the help.

i ended up extending my power steering pipe along the front so i could use the hole that it used to go through for my cooler pipes.

hi all, just thought id post some pics of my cooler now iv got it fitted finally and thanks to everyone for the help.

i ended up extending my power steering pipe along the front so i could use the whole that it used to go through for my cooler pipes.

Looks perfect and I'd like to do the same too, I was just wondering what size the cooler is?