Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

What Battery?

Ok Have to buy a new battery for my Rado due to the old one (which was "elderly" before I gave it a 3 month enforced layoff) dying on me...

So have to source a new one for this weekend's meeting at Brands.. now Do I go get a HellFrauds jobbie or can anyone recommend anything better?

Car will be doing short week-day trips (about 5miles each way) and used at the weekends.... So I guess a "deep charge" (or whatever they are called) type is in order....

I had to have an exchange battery at Halfords under gurantee last week and was advised to go for the Calcium type. I paid an extra tenner for it, get what you pay for I guess.

GSF or Costco do Bosch Silvers at good prices. I don't remember the part number, but look for the ones around 64 Ah.

If you're going to be regularly leaving the car sat you might like to consider either getting a trickle charger to help out or spending some extra quids on the battery and getting a combined starter+deep cycle battery.

Standard car batteries are "starter" type and will degrade very quickly if you allow them to stay discharged for any long period of time.

They do, however, deliver the required 200 amps at -5 degrees C in the winter for a fast engine start ..

I'd recommend Halfords Calcium (4 year warranty) or a Varta or Exide from VAG

As Mat says get the biggest that will fit!

GSF or Costco do Bosch Silvers at good prices. I don't remember the part number, but look for the ones around 64 Ah.

If you're going to be regularly leaving the car sat you might like to consider either getting a trickle charger to help out or spending some extra quids on the battery and getting a combined starter+deep cycle battery.

Standard car batteries are "starter" type and will degrade very quickly if you allow them to stay discharged for any long period of time.

They do, however, deliver the required 200 amps at -5 degrees C in the winter for a fast engine start ..

Which provide the 200amps at -5? The normal or the deep-cycle ones?

Car will be regularly used now I have sorted by DVLA issues out (them losing my V5 is what kept it off the road in the first place)

And the biggest Halfords one that fits is the HCB096 - or at least it fits in my 9A 16v. A fair bit wider than the original size. 700CCA.

Price is £84.99 or £51.68 if you can wangle a trade card!

Yalan - yeah thats what i'm running in the TDI - bit of a squeeze!!

The 64Ah from VW is about the same price with discount (£45+vat) and is spec'd for a MK2 Diesel

Yeah - it's about 11.5 inches!

Fits the clamp fine but the only problem is one of the terminals goes under the wing slightly...

Now, how do I sort a trade card out?

Easy. Buy a garage....

You need to be Motor trade to get one, or do a good impression...

Seems to depepnd on your store.

Officially they need proof you work in a garage ie bills, headed paper etc.

Alternatively any certification you've got such as C&Gs.

But some branches just assume if you know about it you work in the trade.

Others seem convinced if you turn up in overalls!

Yalan - yeah thats what i'm running in the TDI - bit of a squeeze!!

The 64Ah from VW is about the same price with discount (£45+vat) and is spec'd for a MK2 Diesel

another option is an equaivalent Hella battery, I got one of these for 20 quid less than the equivalent spec SIlver, just has one year less warranty, but it's already lasted longer than both of my previous silvers did, looks about the same quality.

Yeah - I heards Hella we're good... similar to Bosch - good reliable OE make...

Toad - have you got a Halfords trade card??

Nah he gets his bits from John Deer.. hence the ride height of his Rados.. :lol:

Nah. Must get around to pikeying one. I know a few people with them (legitimately) and I know the good price reductions you can get with them.

Most things like batteries, antifreeze, grease, tools, tend to go on the farm account at the local supplier so the VAT can be knocked off. TBH, most things do get used on the farm, so it's quite legitimate Mr Revenue man ;)

Wider as in it still fits the orginal clamp and sticks out into the engine bay a bit more?

Yup - as SC suggested fits in nicely - a slight overhang into the engine bay on one side and the clamp on the otherside is just under the wing overhang. But seeing as that is the earth side its not really an issue.

Don't know what clearances would be like on the VR though

Wider as in it still fits the orginal clamp and sticks out into the engine bay a bit more?

Yup - as SC suggested fits in nicely - a slight overhang into the engine bay on one side and the clamp on the otherside is just under the wing overhang. But seeing as that is the earth side its not really an issue.

Cheers Yalan, looks about the same size as the one in there ATM...

Looks like the same size one I've got in my VR without any issues. It's a bit of a squeeze to get the -ve terminal on/off, but it does just about go.

I've also got a Halfords Calcium battery - it's got a 4yr warranty, so if you remember, just take it back in 3.9yrs time and get a new one :)

And the biggest Halfords one that fits is the HCB096 - or at least it fits in my 9A 16v. A fair bit wider than the original size. 700CCA.

They're now £95! Feck!

Any-one got a trade card I can borrow?

Or a cheaper alternative....

Don't you need a beefier alternator to keep the larger battey topped up...? :?

Not really in this case. It's not that big a jump in battery size...

As long as the alternator capacity is larger than the electrical useage of the car, you're fine.

They're now £95! Feck!

Any-one got a trade card I can borrow?

Or a cheaper alternative....

that's why I got a hella, cost me IRO 30 quid, it's at least a 64Ah possibly higher, asked the supplier what the difference was with the Bosch they had at 20 quid more, his reply was the warranty, they charge you more to cover the longer warranty :roll:

for what its worth i can highly recomend the Optima batteries, i picked up a brand new (still sealed) blue top off the bay last year and its great, never lets me down and you could drive the VR down the road on the starter, not cheap but well worth the money.