Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

VAG-COM

hi everyone,

just wondering after looking at the Vag-Com site about how this should be done? :?

i have seen a couple of threads about the package costing 139 quid with the OBD2 connection lead and that the software is free but on the site it says that the software is included in that price?

i have a VAS connector on my G60 cos its a '91 model so what do i do, do i:

1)just buy the lead that costs 35 quid and then get the free/shareware software on Ross Tech that had some of the features restricted.

2) do above and get the software separately for an additional 70 quid

3) go for package 5 at 209 quid that does all of the above and also has an OBD2 cable??

not entirely sure how this works but reckon that it would be good to have a diagnostics checker cos i have a few intermittent ABS issues!!

don't know if this is a bit of a stupid question but advice would be appreciated! :D

Cheers

if you can,find out if someone near you has VAG-COM before you buy, as i know of 2 G60's(a 90H-plate and a 91J-plate) that won't talk to it at all.........both with the early connector......so it could well be a waste of money for you

I believe the G60 only reports ABS status/codes. I know I've not been able to get my VAG-COM to talk to Supercharged's 92 G60 at least. Also, the early lead is just an adapter, you also need the OBD2 lead :?

Kev

Are there any other companies making this sort of equipment ??

The diagnostic stuff that the dealers use has no problems at all with communication on G60's although the amount of info available is fairly limited.

Don't G60s have a diagnostic function on the MFA?

I'm not sure what level of error reporting Digifant holds as it's not a fully managed engine like the VR6.

Kev

Talking of VR6 and VAG-COM. ;)

Does anyone with a VAG-COM setup in berkshire wanna do me a huge favour and plug it into my lovely VR6?

I have no real reason to assume there's anything wrong, but I'd like to see what might be going wrong in the future... :-\

kevhaywire, well, i always thought so, cause they're is a round socket on the instrument pod, in the bottom left hand corner, but not quite sue exactly, what it is.

dumb question....but what is VAG COM and what can it tell me??? does it work from a laptop? I would like to check my ABS as i now have a fault....

or

....any friendly person in the cambridge area with it that i could test my car on?? i dont mind paying

VAG com is a kind of electronic diagnostic system - similar to (but not the same as) the system used at the main dealers. It works from a laptop computer & plugs into a socket underneath the gear lever housing via an adaptor cable.

Information available from it depends entirely on which vehicle type it's connected to. Mainly used for reading fault codes.

The main dealer system can also be used for re-programming/altering some of the vehicle software (on newer vehicles), although I don't think this is possible with the Corrado.

i have a 1995 vr6, is it worth me buying the software??

thanks for the info though stevemac

I live in Ipswich which is only an hour away from you. I have VAG-COM and am happy to give you a tutorial and scan your car for you?

Kev

Don't G60s have a diagnostic function on the MFA?

I'm not sure what level of error reporting Digifant holds as it's not a fully managed engine like the VR6.

Kev

there is a thread about that "diagnostic" function with the MFA on G60's lurking somewhere on the forum...........well how to get a "real-time" boost reading etc off it :wink: .......and of course it was in an edition of the Sprinter too........

there is a thread about that "diagnostic" function with the MFA on G60's lurking somewhere on the forum...........well how to get a "real-time" boost reading etc off it :wink: .......and of course it was in an edition of the Sprinter too........

http://www.snstuning.com - DIY section

I believe the G60 only reports ABS status/codes. I know I've not been able to get my VAG-COM to talk to Supercharged's 92 G60 at least. Also, the early lead is just an adapter, you also need the OBD2 lead :?

Kev

I thought the G60's didnt get ABS when was it introduced?

Just found a Yahoo e-group all about VAG-COM, and from a question posted on there:

Travis wrote:

>

> I am trying to communicate to my Digifant ECU in my 1992

> VW Corrado G60. Someone here suggested I try to communicate

> using 1200 baud. I wasn't able to get that to work.

> Uwe,

> Does VAG-Com support the VW Digifant ECU? I am presently

> using the program in a trial mode to make sure everything

> works before I purchase the product. I am only able to

> connect to the Transmission controller. Although this is

> very helpful for me, if I was able to use the rest of the

> features, I would be sure to buy your software. Am I missing

> some configuration option?

Most G60 ECU's do not support "Rapid Data Transfer". Therefore they cannot

communicate with VAG-COM, or a VAG-1552, or a VAS-5051, or a VAS-5052. Only

the VAG-1551 supports this mode, but it gives you no more information that you

can get by using a test-lamp and counting the blinks youself.

-Uwe-

ABS should have been standard on the G60 but wasn't because of a problem with it or supplying it? - I think most do have it but I have seen a few that don't - mines one of the last J plates BTW

LOL mines a J as well and no ABS. Apparently its more trouble than it is worth but as I have never had it or used it on a Corrado (which I guess is a good thing) I cant really comment

"stormseeker"]

Most G60 ECU's do not support "Rapid Data Transfer". Therefore they cannot

communicate with VAG-COM, or a VAG-1552, or a VAS-5051, or a VAS-5052. Only

the VAG-1551 supports this mode, but it gives you no more information that you

can get by using a test-lamp and counting the blinks youself.

-Uwe-

VAG 1551 is the reader that I get my fault codes read on ('92 G60), so I could do it myself with a test lamp?? Where would i find the code listings??

cheers,

VAG 1551 is the reader that I get my fault codes read on ('92 G60), so I could do it myself with a test lamp?? Where would i find the code listings??

cheers,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie ... arch&meta=

And I think it's either the Corrado Club of America or Canada website that tells you how to connect up the test lamp etc. if you don't know how to do it...

mine doesnt have ABS

right most G60's dont support any data transfer as they need two 2 pin sockets at the gear lever. one is for transfer and one is for power.

all VR6 have this function

if anyone knows how to do a blink test on a G60 with only a black connector then please correct me, as i want to do mine

Cheers for the link Stormseeker :D

I borrowed a haynes manual 'Engine managment/fuel systems' which explains how to do it in the digifant section.

I can't understand why you only have a 2-pin black connector, when according to this manual, the black connector is the power supply and the brown(or white) connector is the SD output.

???

Where is your connector, is it in front of the gearlever or somewhere else?