adamukcorrado

BMC CDA, how is yours set up???

I've been using a BMC CDA for a couple if years and i'm really pleased with it, I have connected the cold air feed to a chopped up brake duct, works fine but looks a bit of a mess,

Does any one know of a neat way of setting up the cold air feed?

i've been looking at all the different ducts etc that you can get from places like demontweeks but there doesn't seem to be a way of fitting anything like that on the 'rado as there is'nt the space to mount the inital scoop/duct or run the feed to the CDA. Any suggestions?

Suprised i havnt seen you around fella as i live in cheadle hulme!! Ive got one on mine to be honest ive just left mine as it was as mine came off a corrado storm and i bought it for mine apparently fitted at stealth and its just got a small air feed at the end and thats it!

Not had the corrado on the road much since i moved up this way so you wouldn't of seen it unfortunately, just started trying to get it up togther again ready for the summer,

That's a nice simple way of setting it up- i think i was trying to be too clever going for the 'Ram Air' effect of linking it straight to the front of the car. I'm sure any advantage it would provide would be lost in the extra ducting and bends required to do it anyway! I think you could of just answered my question!

Cheers, hopefully see you around soon!

The cold air pipe makes no difference. If anything I detected a slight flattening off of the throttle response with a cold air pipe attached, actually.

I have also run it with no offside headlight as an experiment to see if cold air blasting into it made a difference, and again, none!

Just install it with no cold air pipe and that gives the best results imo.

Stealth have power tested a Golf VR6 wearing a BMC and it made 7hp without the feed pipe, and 7hp with :lol:

Mine has the cold air feed going down into the front 0/S wheel arch. I've removed the Carbon Cannister and associated plumbing and it pokes down nicely through the hole thats left. Works well but definately sounds more muted than a bare one. The thing with rolling road tests is that the bonnet is usually up and a great big fan running, you don't get the same amount of heat sucked in as you would with the bonnet down. My old ramair used to really suffer with the heat being drawn in, felt real sluggish when hot.

The heat is not an issue with the bonnet closed because more than enough cold air blasts around the headlight and into the filter. That's why VW put the stock air intake there aswell.

Open filters like the Ramair will suck in hot air, the BMC doesn't.

Well there you go!, some interesting points and good to get some feedback from other users, i'll be removing the bodged up monster that is lurking under my wing and just run it with a short feed as pictured above 8)

what part number BMC have you guys got? i phoned up the other day but they dont have a specific fit kit for the corrado, did you just use the one for the golf vr6 or a different one. i kno they are universal just wondering which part number of filter you used :)

what part number BMC have you guys got? i phoned up the other day but they dont have a specific fit kit for the corrado, did you just use the one for the golf vr6 or a different one. i kno they are universal just wondering which part number of filter you used :)

I bought mine 2nd hand but try giving Vince at Stealth a call, I'm under the impression that he sells them as a kit for the Corrado...

Get the Mk3 VR6 one, you'll need to get the adaptor hose to join the BMC to the MAF. Stealth includes this hose in the kit.

Just get the coupling off Ebay for a couple of quid.

Andy, I can feel myself being drawn into buying a BMC :) (the danger of reading threads like these) but I'm all for reducing the cost if I can. What would I put into the e-bay search box to get the right coupling listed? I wonder how much difference it makes to the Stealth price :?

Cheers

When i bought my bmc, Motorbitz (the chav car shop) was about £20 cheaper than anywhere else- despite them having to order it specially . i already had a coupler for the MAF sensor tho.

Hey,

I just bought one of these puppies off ebay real cheap ;)

I just need to know the dimensions of the piping I'll need to connect to the MAF?

Any ideas where to get some or has anyone got any spare?

*EDIT* Would this work or is it a bit too short?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICON-HOSE-STRAIGHT-COUPLER-80MM-UK-STOCK-SILICONE-R_W0QQitemZ370027442792QQihZ024QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

Andy

Just a thought, it would be an idea for someone with rolling road facilities to test a BMC (or any air filter) with a smooth intake pipe, notice that the stock flexi pipe that BMC supply is corrogated, you get high frictional pressure losses from a surface like this, and quite turbulant air flow, a smooth pipe, kinda like a samco pipe surface (....hence why samco pipes are so smooth) might see an improvement on power??? worth trying??? ideally all the piping on the air intake would be smooth, but you car't achive this if you use the OEM piece that houses the sensors upstream of the filter, i think thats coragated too??? i might be talking SH@T but theoretically what you get is air flow at slightly higher pressure??? slightly.... enought to make a differance? i dont know?

Col.

Andy that will work fine chap.

Cheers Steve, just ordered the tubing ;)

Andy

Apparently so, a couple of big jubilee clips too and should be sorted. Can't wait for mine to arrive now!

Just got my lovely BMC.

Only thing is that there was no mounting bracket included, does anyone know whether halfords do anything that might fit? I've emailed BMC to check anyways.

Also, the filter has one end which is kinda squared off (into a diamond I guess) I take it this is the end furthest from the MAF?

Andy

Just got my lovely BMC.

Only thing is that there was no mounting bracket included, does anyone know whether halfords do anything that might fit? I've emailed BMC to check anyways.

Also, the filter has one end which is kinda squared off (into a diamond I guess) I take it this is the end furthest from the MAF?

Andy

You only need a short bracket piece (6 inches at most, bendable, with a few holes drilled) , pretty sure Halfords do them.

I had some issues with getting the BMC the right way around first time:? If you look carefully there is writing on the ends of the filter housing "air flow side" and "engine side" but this is what the airflow side should look like (picture courtesy of CazzaVR):