Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Ebay VR6 Powerchip feedback

Just thought I'd leave some feedback regarding those Powerchip technologies chips we've all seen selling on ebay.

After reading in either PVW or Golf+ (can't remember which one it was now) that the bloke fitted it to his VR and was impressed I decided to give one a go.

Put in a best offer of £25 and he accepted it, took a little while to get to me but the after sales support and general friendlyness of the seller made up for it.

Fitted it in my lunchbreak and I wouldn't stick the OEM one back in now if you paid me, I understand the older VR's benefit more as the newer ones had slightly more agressive mapping but I didn't expect it to make such a difference.

They are obviously just copied versions of substantially more expensive chips so I doubt any long term damage could be done.

Every VR owner must've been tempted by these at one time or another and I'd say go for it as mine's been a positive experiance.

Thanks for that mate, always nice when someone reviews something. I've been pondering one for a while now, you might have just made my mind up, I'm too tight for a full blown remap!

Kinda difficult to fit chips to late VRs.. the ECU has a soldered-in EEPROM..

And before you decide it's wonderful, check your fuel consumption with a microscope, get it MOTd and look at the emissions, and make damn sure it never, under any circumstances, pinks...!

Fair comments, Fuel consumption seems the same, no idea on the emissions and thankfully I don't really know what pinking is...ignorance is bliss :D

The seller did even cover off the fact that some may be soldered and how to get around that, he seems pretty clued up and as I said they're obvious copies I'm sure it's just a Neuspeed chip or something that's just been ripped off, hopefully all should be good but I know it's not always that simple

Fair comments, Fuel consumption seems the same, no idea on the emissions and thankfully I don't really know what pinking is...ignorance is bliss :D

Cool, just keep your head screwed on and observe what the engine's doing and you should be ok.

Pinking - pre-ignition. It sounds like a hard metallic CRACK noise (essentially it's the flame front hitting the piston moving UP, instead of on it's way down). Usually by the time you can hear it it's too late, because the engine should have backed off the ignition timing to compensate.

(It's also worthy of commenting that most "off the shelf" VR6 chips will be for the 2.8 engine .. minor difference, tbh, but worthy of note.)

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my ear out for any suspect sounds.

He did make me email the code off the side of my ECU before he dispatched the chip so it is an exact match for my engine.

I'll keep everyone posted though and report back if anything negative happens.

I'd also be interested to see the real world difference this makes...seems too good to be true for £25!

What are the differences? Does it eliminate flat spots? Rev harder past 6000rpm? :confused4:

I'd also be interested to see the real world difference this makes...seems too good to be true for £25!

What are the differences? Does it eliminate flat spots? Rev harder past 6000rpm?

Well my tracking needed doing anyway but now the completely ridiculous amount of wheel spin I get is quite comedy.

It's just made it more aggressive, spiced it up a bit. It obviously isn't going to make the biggest difference but it's put a smile on my face.

Also it's only £25 because it's a copied version of a more expensive one. The bloke that sells them must be making a fortune, does make you wonder how companies get away with charging 300-400 pounds for basically the same thing.

Also it's only £25 because it's a copied version of a more expensive one. The bloke that sells them must be making a fortune, does make you wonder how companies get away with charging 300-400 pounds for basically the same thing.

Same as everything else isn't it? The first one costs tens or hundreds of hours design and testing work, but the second one will cost you ten minutes of your time and a blank EEPROM chip..

I might be being a spaz, but I can't find them on eBay! The only one I found isn't compatible with my Corrado - I own a 1995 Corrado. :?

Got one of these a couple of months ago and the car was noticeably quicker. Have reverted back to the stock chip for the time being though, as it seemed to increase the attempted stalling. Once I get the car running smoothly, it'll be going back in- only a 10 minute job. Bargain for the money.

I might be being a spaz, but I can't find them on eBay! The only one I found isn't compatible with my Corrado - I own a 1995 Corrado. :?

It's not just me who can't find them :?

The names have been changed in the following story to protect the inoccent, namely me being sued.

Once upon a time there was a tuning company, for this story lets call them AM.....errrr. The new quite far in advance they were going into receivership so were a little lacklustre shall we say with stock managment..ahem....then along came a big company cally large mens toys who bought them out. During the many years AM.....er....had been in business they had developed a wide range of generic maps for predominantly Vw/audi/seat ect vehicles. When it came to shut up shop, rather absentmindeldy someone had lost all the originall software for these maps. How very carless of them. Then coincidently and in no way related someone on ebay began selling generic chipsets for vw/audi/seat etc

hmm....

Oh my god!!

Will someone just tell me (by PM if required) which dude sells the chip I need for a 1995 Corrado VR6! The link above has three different models - one stating they are for the early model Corrados only, another dude selling them from fucking Lithuana and the other chap selling 'em for a fiver!!!

Also, while I'm having a pissed off rant, how easy are these things to fit? Or rather, who can I take them to to fit for me?

Cheers

*breathes out*

Chances are your ecu wont have a plug in eprom so that will needed to be fitted, (its the socket that the chipset plugs into, most later vr's from the factory had the chips soldered in)

Oh my god!!

Will someone just tell me (by PM if required) which dude sells the chip I need for a 1995 Corrado VR6! The link above has three different models - one stating they are for the early model Corrados only, another dude selling them from **** Lithuana and the other chap selling 'em for a fiver!!!

Also, while I'm having a pissed off rant, how easy are these things to fit? Or rather, who can I take them to to fit for me?

Cheers

*breathes out*

Ditto :) Seems like a potential buy on the horizon.

I've got the Powerchips one. I've got an early VR6 unsoldered chip, so it was just a 5 min job to swap.

for this story lets call them AM.....errrr.

I always thought AMG were Mercedes-Benz?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

was it the correct socket? how ya get on?

got one coming tomorrow...

The seller did even cover off the fact that some may be soldered and how to get around that, he seems pretty clued up and as I said they're obvious copies I'm sure it's just a Neuspeed chip or something that's just been ripped off, hopefully all should be good but I know it's not always that simple

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68523

read this ignorance wont be bliss any more :)

for this story lets call them AM.....errrr.

I always thought AMG were Mercedes-Benz?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, he means AMD computer chips, as in the Intel rival :wink: :norty:

anyone got a phone number for this seller? I paid for mine on 15th April and he is ignoring my emails etc . I still havent had it through the post!! Its getting urgent now!

Eventually got my chip through from this guy and my corrado wont run with it in! Put the old chip back in and its fine. It will start then just die. Seeing as the old chip is going with the charger I sold I am now left with a non running fecking corrado!!! :mad2: