adamukcorrado

What glue to repair head lining?

The head lining has come adrift on the sunroof, you can see that it's just where the structure of the foamy material is breaking down with age,

I need some kind of spray glue to achive a nice even coverage and spray it in without making it worse,

Can anyone recommend a product to use?

I don't want anything too strong or aggrressive - such as those glues you can't use on certain types of plastic, as i don't think the old lining would take it!

3M Spray Mount / Spray Adhesive :thumb right:

90_SPRY.jpg

^^^ or some such.

That's what the retrim boys on the Tex use.... I read way too many resto threads :lol:

I would recommend Bostik 1GA 186 contact adhesive, its a heat resistant contact adhesive, we use it to stick headlinings in limo's.

I used Bostik spray adhesive in the end as i was struggling to find anything else, did the job well tho - just a shame i had to buy a massive tin for such a tiny job - if anyone wants their head lining glued, come on round!

I used spray carpet adhesive, last summer to repair odd sagging bits on the headlining, it was easy to apply and worked really well at the time, however a year on and the headlining has dropped all over the place, its a job to see out of the rear view mirror on occasions! I think I'll be trying something stronger soon.

I would recommend Bostik 1GA 186 contact adhesive, its a heat resistant contact adhesive, we use it to stick headlinings in limo's.

where would i get some of this from?

Does anyone know a major on online supplier for the Bostik 1ga 186 adhesive? - I've tried eBay google etc and can't seem to find anyone who sells the stuff!!

waiting for mine to come too :) say's it's good for 120 degrees so sounds similar to the bostik stuff which I could only find for £50 for 5 litres!!!

I tried the high temp stuff from eBay and a year later everything I did with it is coming loose. Basically I've been told by our trimming dept at work that if it's from a spray can it's unlikely to last, they spay the tinned stuff from a spray gun as it's sometimes difficult not to saturate the cloth if you paint it on and more time consuming. The cars spend a lot of time in the middle east with no problems.

It's the foam on the back of the roof lining thats the problem, the glue just soaks onto the crumbling foam and comes off straight away.

The ONLY way to cure a sagging lining is to remove it, sand all the glue/foam off (ball ache and very time consuming) and replace the lining. sy7u7y6e.jpg

I used Bostik spray adhesive in the end as i was struggling to find anything else, did the job well tho - just a shame i had to buy a massive tin for such a tiny job - if anyone wants their head lining glued, come on round!
If I was anywhere near Cheshire, I would!!

I think you're putting the headling in upside down :p

It's the foam on the back of the roof lining thats the problem, the glue just soaks onto the crumbling foam and comes off straight away.

The ONLY way to cure a sagging lining is to remove it, sand all the glue/foam off (ball ache and very time consuming) and replace the lining. sy7u7y6e.jpg