Sign in to follow this  
moneypit23

2 ltr 16v losing water, dodgy water pump?

Here we go.. my car keeps losing water, not when it is standing but when i drive it. It wasn't much at first but now it has to be filled for pretty much every short journey. The windows also keep steaming up and there is a whiff of something burning?? don't know what the somethng is or if it is me being paranoid.

The last time it was in the garage the mechanic said it was likely to be the water pump but i didnt get it checked out any further because there were other problems to sort.

Is a dying water pump a likely cause and if so where will i get a replacement? And also, is there much difference between a VW item and a non-genuine item?

Thanks, Kate.

Windows steaming up sounds like heater matrix.... have you checked to see if the carpets are damp at all?

Best thing is fill it up with Strong water/anti-freeze mix and take it for a run.

If it is the matrix you'll smell the anti-freeze in the cabin.

But also have a look in the engine bay for any tell-tale rust streaks from the pipes too, and have a good look at the Rad front and back (when cold to save "fan-finger") could be that leaking?

BF says = Its only just started with the steamy window bit though and its just the front windscreen!! My first thought was heater matrix but i havnt seen any damp carpets in her car (no musky smell) Heater matrix = £££'s unless you do it yourself

3rd on the matrix...

Strange the mechanic didn't pick up on the steamy window bit?

I only started to notice the windows steaming up recently, i don't think i mentioned it to the mechanic. Looks like i (we) will be changing the heater matrix fairly soon then.

There's a guide on the Corrado club canada forum I think and I believe it can be done without pulling all the dash too!

But sure some-one will confirm or blow me out the sky on that!

Worth checking and replacing any suspect hoses whilst you have the cooling system empty too!

Steve / Supercharged did a matrix recently on one of his Corrado's (the G60 I think) and didn't have to pull out the dash. He did say it was fiddly but can be done! Other members have reported the same in the past too.

buy one from VW then you can ditch the crap heater bypass valves, the genuine ones are stronger mk3 parts so there's no need for pressure relief.

There was some word a while ago that GSF were doing the valeo (I think that was the make) mk3 matrix, which would be the stronger OEM quality mk3 type, worth checking and pricing up both.

16v water leaks can be from:

flange on front of head (possibly side one)

leaking pumps (but they usually rattle badly too)

leaking temp switches in the rad

rusty water pipe running around side of engine to front of block

cracked radiators (although they're usually pretty long-lived unless thumped)

dodgy valves in header tank caps

or the dreaded matrix

hoses usually split and go in one big cloud of spray/steam with little warning

Windows steaming up sounds like heater matrix.... have you checked to see if the carpets are damp at all?

I just checked the carpets and the passenger footwell is damp but that may be because my dad has been cleaning it (it's the going rate for borrowing it for a day) i'll ask him whether it was already damp when i see him.

I just checked the carpets and the passenger footwell is damp but that may be because my dad has been cleaning it (it's the going rate for borrowing it for a day) i'll ask him whether it was already damp when i see him.

Is it stained? Does it smell of coolant?

Dave, yep i got my genuine Valeo matrix from GSF, twas about £50-£60 i believe and VW wanted something like £110 :shock:

It was a dodgy heater matrix so as the weather was nice i thought i'd have a go myself at sorting it myself but i'm glad i didn't...

Looks like i'm on the bike again tomorrow (please don't rain please don't rain please don't rain)

I've not looked at the guides mentioned above but I am intrigued as how you can get the heater matrix out without removing the dashboard shell, if you need to strip off all the facia panels and vents then an extra ten minutes taking out the last few fixings surely would make it some what easier. I've been swearing at my ventilation system for the last couple of evenings, mainly because one out of the three stud fasteners that go through the bulkhead was ceased solid, rotating both the nut and stud. I resorted to cutting the nut off (again not easy with an attached washer flange on the back of the nut) - this was relatively easy as my bay is currently engineless. Not an easy job I envisage otherwise. If you do have problems with these stud fasteners rotating freely, torque them back up (the interior side is a self-tapping thread that will cut further into the plastic casing of the ventilation system. This may work for you if they are corroded to any significant degree.

Meanwhile if you need a matrix, there are these on ebay, although I can't believe they are genuine VAG at that price. In terms of quality, others may be able to comment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=022

Lee

The GF's car is now up and working but the fuel gauge doesnt work, speedo doesnt work and the rev counter seems a bit dodgy any of you know what could be the cause ?? The whole dash was removed as you can see above could it be a fuse?? It will be going back to the garage tomorrow to get it sorted!

The GF's car is now up and working but the fuel gauge doesnt work, speedo doesnt work and the rev counter seems a bit dodgy any of you know what could be the cause ?? The whole dash was removed as you can see above could it be a fuse?? It will be going back to the garage tomorrow to get it sorted!

Assuming your connector has located correctly into the instrument pod, I might suggest that maybe an earth wire has become detached in amongst all the fiddling about with the dashboard. These are the brown wires and there are a job lot plugging onto a metal disc thingybob at the base of the OS A pillar - worth a look here?