Jim Bowen

Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

Well finally got round to painting the new rear calipers and carriers red, can recommend the Hammerite smooth paint, nice finish. Am just away to take all the rear brake parts out to the garage now, they are in process of fitting my front Brembo's as we speak :D

DSC00562.jpg

so are the mk4 golf rear calipers better than the standard vr6 corrado ones? from what i can find they are only a couple of quid cheaper

or is it just preference to change them?

Ok couple questions...

1/ same for teh 16v/G60 as it is for the VR?

2/ There's no definative answer about the Mk3 Carrier and slider pins... Are they needed? :confused4:

i think all corrados came with the same rear brakes. Someone else can probably confirm this.

i only bought the calipers, they fitted onto the standard carriers, so no need to change them.

mine were fitted using the existing slider pins, you can only buy new slider pins if you buy the whole carrier, which from memory was about £60 each side.

if you was to change to a 288m rear solid disc would you then need new carriers for the calipers?

or is there something else that is needed?

also what model golf are the calipers from? i went up GSF today to try and get some but there are loads of different models of the Mk4 golf. which model do the calipers come off?

im not sure about using a bigger disc, i just went with the standard size on rear.

i also had that problem with there being loads of choices, but if you use the part no's mentioned you should get the right ones

if you was to change to a 288m rear solid disc would you then need new carriers for the calipers?

or is there something else that is needed?

also what model golf are the calipers from? i went up GSF today to try and get some but there are loads of different models of the Mk4 golf. which model do the calipers come off?

From what I can see all models including the 4motion use the same calipers.

i going to get the calipers you mentioned at the beginning of the tread. as i am lazy im going to buy new carriers aswell.

what should i get. corrado carriers or the mk4 golf ones? or are they the same?

did you have any problems fitting the new calipers 3corsameal?

to tell the truth i ended up paying my local garage to fit them as i got fed up.

from what they told me it all went on fine, the hardest work was getting all the old stuff off :lol:

after the basing my bank balance has had this month i dont think garage fitting is an option :lol: the cars got no wheels or brakes anyway so getting there would be a problem too :)

i ordered the parts i needed from VW today. if some one could just check i got the right stuff

mk4 Calipers- 1J0615423 / 1J0615424

i got new carriers instead of refurbing my old ones - 1H0615425 / 1H0615426 (apparently the new corrado carriers are exactly the same as mk3 golf carriers)

i got new handbrake cables aswell

all i need now is the conversion hoses - wheres the best place for them?

Hi guys have another question can we use mk2/mk3 corrado pads for this conversion, can remeber from where but some thread were saying that we need mk4 pads for this conversion.

Is that it? Has this thread finished?

I'm just wondering if all the kit bolted on in a straight forward kind of way. I plan to do this when the weather gets warmer.

Andy

yeah, i'm afraid i got fed up in the end and took car to a garage with all the parts in the boot.

they told me everything went on fine, no modifying needed. Apparantely the hardest part was getting all the old original stuff off the car

Anyone went and got prices lately from a dealer in the UK, just being to my local here in Ireland and got the following quotes..

Part Description Qty Part no. Unit Price

Mk4 Golf Calipers 1 1J0 615 423 €155.00

Mk4 Golf Calipers 1 1J0 615 424 €155.00

Corrado Rear Wheel Bearing 2 191 598 625 €33.00

Corrado Hand Break Cable 2 1H0 609 712E €18.00

Caliper Carriers 1 1H0615425 €84.00

Caliper Carriers 1 1H0615426 €84.00

Corrado Rear Brake Disk Left 1 €30.00

Corrado Rear Brake Disk Right 1 €30.00

Corrado Rear Brake Pads 2 €40.00

Corrado Steel Brake Pipes set 5m cut to size €10.00

Corrado Rear ABS Ring 2 €20.00

Goodridge Mk 2-Mk 4 Rear Caliper 1 SVW0506-2P

€65.00

Anyone went and got prices lately from a dealer in the UK, just being to my local here in Ireland and got the following quotes..

Part Description Qty Part no. Unit Price

Goodridge Mk 2-Mk 4 Rear Caliper 1 SVW0506-2P

€65.00

can get them mush cheaper than that!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330717884408?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

also if any one can tell me the length and unions on the metal pipes i can get those mase up aswell

Same here, ebay calipers and some more new stuff :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70074[/ATTACH]

few Q's before i splash the cash, so to speak.

I'm going to buy new Mk4 calipers for the rear. VW dealer want £158.71 each :( but you can buy a set from VWSPARES for £55 each made by TRW. has anyone used them are they a viable option ? would save £200.

Also i've been given a set of rear wheel bearings made by roulex ??? jpgroup.dk never heard of them. i normally only fit vw bearings as most other only last 5 mins. is it worth fitting them or should i buy a new set. don't like doing the job twice when i can do it right first time :)

could someone check the O.E ref number is correct for me it says 191598625ALT

Edited by delfinis38

few Q's before i splash the cash, so to speak.

I'm going to buy new Mk4 calipers for the rear. VW dealer want £158.71 each :( but you can buy a set from VWSPARES for £55 each made by TRW. has anyone used them are they a viable option ? would save £200.

Also i've been given a set of rear wheel bearings made by roulex ??? jpgroup.dk never heard of them. i normally only fit vw bearings as most other only last 5 mins. is it worth fitting them or should i buy a new set. don't like doing the job twice when i can do it right first time :)

could someone check the O.E ref number is correct for me it says 191598625ALT

VW do exchange calipers for about half that but you could call Steve at C&R as he used to sell them at very good prices.

The VWspares ones should be fine as long as they are 38mm pistons (not 32mm used on Polo's) - I would stick with VW for the bearings though!

VW do exchange calipers for about half that but you could call Steve at C&R as he used to sell them at very good prices.

The VWspares ones should be fine as long as they are 38mm pistons (not 32mm used on Polo's) - I would stick with VW for the bearings though!

cheer's will give C&R a call see if they can do me a package with hoses too.

re:- bearings.... i sort of new the answer. are the shells easy to remove from the old disk ?????

I think i read somewhere you use a special MK4 handbrake clip on the caliper rather than squeezing the arm up is that correct ??

thanks for the advice.

Well... you can get the shells out (have to be careful though if not using a press and damage with a punch) but I think either way, if you need new discs or bearings then just change both as the cost is not that much even from VW and if you buy genuine parts and they're fitted correctly then you'd expect to get around 80k miles out of both.

Yeah - I used MK4 clips but the corrado ones are ok, just need to pinch them up so they fit a bit better.

Well... you can get the shells out (have to be careful though if not using a press and damage with a punch) but I think either way, if you need new discs or bearings then just change both as the cost is not that much even from VW and if you buy genuine parts and they're fitted correctly then you'd expect to get around 80k miles out of both.

Yeah - I used MK4 clips but the corrado ones are ok, just need to pinch them up so they fit a bit better.

cheers supercharged some good advice.....

80K :) that means i've got another 40K life left in them.... (rado's only done 40K :) ) the reason for change to mk4 is last time i took the car out of the garage 12 years ago Off side rear handbrake cable failed to release.... noticed some funny smoke coming from the rear disc which was glowing. must of overheated the discs and bearings so they will need changing.

xmas holidays project. thanks again