Jim Bowen

Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

im at a motorfactors to pick up some brake unions and have told him i need 10mm brake unions.

he has asked if they are 10x1 or 10x1.5 ? this is the pitch of the thread.

any one give me an answer? all i can find online is they are 10mm?

MK4 rear calipers have a thread pitch of either 10x1 or 10x1.5

I remember when doing research that there was no defined answer to which calipers used which thread. Luckily for me my hoses came with a set of each thread. For what they cost you're best of getting both sizes.

Ordered trw callipers

And just for info the mk4 seems to use the same pads as the mk3 vr6 besides that the later ones(mk4) has a thicker pad by 1mm

Anyone confirm this?

I'm wondering about pads too, when i originally did the mk4 upgrade i though it was all fine, but when removing the rear brakes recently it seemed like something was wrong. The pad wasn't making proper contact with the disc and ended up with the discs rusting up.

Just done one side. The banjo bolt on the caliper needs to be done up really tightly otherwise it leaks v slightly. Ive use crush washers each side but it just seems to need to be tightened excessively....any suggestions or is this normal?

On 8/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, fla said:

Just done one side. The banjo bolt on the caliper needs to be done up really tightly otherwise it leaks v slightly. Ive use crush washers each side but it just seems to need to be tightened excessively....any suggestions or is this normal?

Turns out that this is actually because the banjo bolt bottoms out in the caliper. Just used another crush washer on top. I'll post some pics shortly

When you get your calipers i would suggest a trial fit of the hose off the car to see if yours also have the same issue. Screw it in without the hose or washers and see how far down the bolt goes. Then try it with two washers and the hose and then add another if necessary

I think I'd be tempted to grind the bolt to reduce its length over extra washers providing there's still enough thread located inside the calliper?

I sold Fla Golf estate rear callipers years and years ago, maybe these are the ones? Measure the pistons as estates are reputed to have larger pistons and are sought after - I didn't know this at the time.

I'm sure I sent them with the OE bolts so maybe compare the lengths?

Edited by Dox

5 minutes ago, Dox said:

I think I'd be tempted to grind the bolt to reduce its length over extra washers providing there's still enough thread located inside the calliper?

I sold Fla Golf estate rear callipers years and years ago, maybe these are the ones? Measure the pistons as estates are reputed to have larger pistons and are sought after - I didn't know this at the time.

I'm sure I sent them with the OE bolts so maybe compare the lengths?

I think these got lost in my garage somewhere prior to our house extension work. Ended up buying another returned set off ebay

4 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I purchased these, no problems at all. What did you get FlaB7DE29DC-38A5-4917-AB54-94820B9A9D23.thumb.png.0f0e6713043224421fc9d2682e7b42ac.png

Yes, bought the same ones

1 minute ago, fla said:

I think these got lost in my garage somewhere prior to our house extension work. Ended up buying another returned set off ebay

That's a shame, I was hoping you would end the myth of estates having a larger piston in the UK - I've owned a couple and broke both without measuring them

3 hours ago, Dox said:

That's a shame, I was hoping you would end the myth of estates having a larger piston in the UK - I've owned a couple and broke both without measuring them

I’ve got 41mm pistons on mine. Off a Skoda vrs estate I think. Ordered TRW and brand new Lucas came. What make are yours Fla. 

TRW BHN203 is the right rear one with 41mm piston

I’ve got 41mm pistons on mine. Off a Skoda vrs estate I think. Ordered TRW and brand new Lucas came. What make are yours Fla. 
TRW BHN203 is the right rear one with 41mm piston

MK1 VRS estate had 256mm vented rear as did the hatch So not a bolt on fit like the solids as they need the cassette type rear bearings mod. Could be lesser model estate though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dox said:

MK1 VRS estate had 256mm vented rear as did the hatch So not a bolt on fit like the solids as they need the cassette type rear bearings mod. Could be lesser model estate though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently they are to fit a

98-01 octavia vrs 4x4

10 hours ago, Dox said:

Theres still some stuff needing sorting - I'll have a rummage and see if they're in the chaos somewhere..

3 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Apparently they are to fit a

98-01 octavia vrs 4x4

The UK got a VRS 2wd 180 bhp (AUQ engine K03S turbo), 1.8T 4 x 4 150bhp (AUM engine K03, then K03S turbo too, but de-tuned), 1.9 tdi 4 x 4

We never got a MK1 VRS 4 x 4 from the factory

On 9/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, Dox said:

The UK got a VRS 2wd 180 bhp (AUQ engine K03S turbo), 1.8T 4 x 4 150bhp (AUM engine K03, then K03S turbo too, but de-tuned), 1.9 tdi 4 x 4

We never got a MK1 VRS 4 x 4 from the factory

The ones I’ve fitted were 

TRW , BHN202 & BHN203.

Both brand new   OEM Lucas in a TRW box.

If you ever bought a track rod end from the VW dealer they sold you a TRW one. 

Dox you appear to be right about the description I gave, but that’s what one of the sellers on eBay listed it as. I suppose I got lucky they fit and work, and they do work real good and the handbrake is now ace. I thought they might do though going by the handbrake bracket which is the early type. 
I’ve since gone on TRW’s website and they are to fit amongst other things a range of mark 4 golf estates, so you seem to be correct in thinking they had a larger piston in the estates as well, hats off sir. 

10 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

The ones I’ve fitted were 

TRW , BHN202 & BHN203.

Both brand new   OEM Lucas in a TRW box.

If you ever bought a track rod end from the VW dealer they sold you a TRW one. 

Dox you appear to be right about the description I gave, but that’s what one of the sellers on eBay listed it as. I suppose I got lucky they fit and work, and they do work real good and the handbrake is now ace. I thought they might do though going by the handbrake bracket which is the early type. 
I’ve since gone on TRW’s website and they are to fit amongst other things a range of mark 4 golf estates, so you seem to be correct in thinking they had a larger piston in the estates as well, hats off sir. 

They were about £90 each delivered. 

I've just done this on my mk4, I needed both rear calipers and got them from eurocarparts. Replacements came as reconditioned VW ones. Pot luck got lucky I guess.