Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

better brakes without going bigger???

That is a different matter especially if you are running AP calipers. They are probably the best brakes you can buy! I dont really think it is a fair comparison to a std brake upgrade LOL

Yeah, true, but the chap kind of implied he wanted something to tide him over until he can afford the beefy fellas. I guess all I'm trying to say, skip out the 288s/312s etc and go straight to the Brembos/APs etc etc :D

The best results I had with 288s was VW discs and pagid fast road pads......but without the matching 24mm master cylinder, they can have a bit of a soggy pedal for the first cm of travel.

The best results I had with 288s was VW discs and pagid fast road pads......but without the matching 24mm master cylinder, they can have a bit of a soggy pedal for the first cm of travel.

So actually what you are meaning to say is you are generally agreeing with everything I said :grin:

I know that JMR's courtesy car (Mk 3 GTi) has 280 (or 288) 4-pot Hi-Specs behind standard 15 inch wheels. They've got to be better than a normal pad/disc upgrade?

So actually what you are meaning to say is you are generally agreeing with everything I said :grin:

"I neither agree, nor disagree....but somewhere in the middle" :lol:

Oh and I agree with you and Corradude, holes and grooves being a waste of space on stock sized discs.

That is a different matter especially if you are running AP calipers. They are probably the best brakes you can buy! I dont really think it is a fair comparison to a std brake upgrade LOL

Yeah, true, but the chap kind of implied he wanted something to tide him over until he can afford the beefy fellas. I guess all I'm trying to say, skip out the 288s/312s etc and go straight to the Brembos/APs etc etc :D

yeah as kev said, its more trying to find something to improve the braking without forking out to much $$$ for now..and then consider the big boys at a later date, but as mentioned, any bigger than 288 and im into new wheel territory too.

yeah as kev said, its more trying to find something to improve the braking without forking out to much $$$ for now..and then consider the big boys at a later date, but as mentioned, any bigger than 288 and im into new wheel territory too.

Try uprated brake lines, std discs and uprated pads. Wont cost you much and I promise you wont be disapointed for the outlay.

Goodridge hoses, standard discs and more aggressive pads. I recommend EBC red stuff or Ferrodo DS2500

sounds like what im looking for...either that or 288mm from the golf with Goodridge hoses??

[

:lol: just wrote the previous post before seeing this one..sounds like a good plan..how much am i looking at for the uprated brake lines?

You don't need to increase swept area for an improvement in braking.

Different compounds will operate at different temperatures and 4 pot calipers on 280mm discs will work more effectively than a sliding caliper set-up that is fitted as stock. Other things to consider are wheel and tyre weight, a rotor and hat set-up rather than solid discs and race spec braking fluid.

Goodridge hoses, standard discs and more aggressive pads. I recommend EBC red stuff or Ferrodo DS2500

would you recommend EBC Reds for front and rear?? would doing just the fronts suffice?

With stock size discs, you want a pad that has strong initial bite so that to feel you've got your money's worth :D

The Ferrodo DS2500 has excellent bite, hold, cold and wet, but it's not a cheap pad. I also like the Pagid pads. Not tried EBC reds, but have tried EBC yellows. They need a fair bit of heat in them to work. EBC greens have good initial bite too.

Agreed with the goodridge lines, they definitely help remove a bit of mush out of the pedal!

Fresh fluid and Ferrodo DS3000 pads, holly crap do they work well !! (thats on standard brakes having replaced EBC greenstuff pads) only down side is they are quite dusty and noisy.

I have tarox discs and pads on all four corners, have now done 80,000 miles on them, no brake fade,and still only the one set of pads !

i've never had bigger than standard brakes (until now) and whatever combination of disks/pads I've had over the years I've had the car I've always had brake fade problems, but then I also used to have a lead right foot problem too....

S2s stop very well but its a bloody heavy caliper set-up, better off going 288mm.

Red and yellow are stuff are full track compounds and are designed to be used in racing conditions, as Kev pointed out they are not too good until they are up to temperature.

I can't stress how critical it is to change the correct amount of brake fluid every 2 years to ensure that that is working correctly - its 500ml (half a litre) per wheel for non-ABS cars and 600ml for ABS ones.

Other things to consider are buying caliper seal kits from VW (about £10 a caliper IIRC) and changing those, you cant expect a 15 year old piece of rubber to work well after irregular fluid changes and 15 years of heat cycling. Master cylinder replacement will also help pedal feel for the same reasons.

I have rebuilt a complete set-up on my valver in the past and it worked exceptionally well, great pedal feel and progressive braking. Rear calipers were new mk 3 items and all the sliding pins had new boots and fresh grease, the fronts were uprated to 280mm G60 items and were completely rebuilt, a fluid change and a set of goodridge hoses completed the overhaul. I have changed the fluid at the 2 year point and it still came out nice and yellow with very little gunk in it; as you would expect. Well worth the effort and lets face it, you really need reliable brakes.