Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Help me to decide...Alfa 156 / 166 or Golf 4Motion

Dilemma going on here - head or heart

Car 1 is Stan 24v Golf 4Motion - high mileage (142k) but in lovely condition and I'd feel happy buying from someone I'd know

or

Car 2 is a 2001 Alfa 156 2.0TS, silver, Veloce spec (teledial alloys, side skirts etc), FSH, full leather, 12 months warranty, 78k on the clock, drives really nicely for exactly the same money

or

Car 3 is an ex Press Alfa 166 3.0 manual, fully loaded (I mean everything on it), 55k on the clock for the same as either of the above

Really can't decide so appreciate some views / experiences etc

I've owned a 2.0ts & a 4motion & although the alfa is a winner looks wise (especially with the teledials) its got to be the 4 motion from a driving point of view particualy with the 4 wheel drive system ready to conquer the autumn/winter roads if you're going to use it most days.

The 2.0 litre twin spark is a lovely engine when wound up but the pure low down grunt not to mention the V6 growl is gonna take it every time for me....just my 2p's worth, nice dilemma to have tho' !!

Leonard - you're not supposed to say that.

Drove the 156 this morning and was left a little underwhelmed, felt slow but the car is a lovely looking thing. My better half would love the 4Motion but is concerned about the mileage - doesn't overly concern me but it will be her car.

Just courting peoples opinions / feedback / ownership experiences, I do have a mind of my own but do not know it all so feel that other peoples views are very often quite helpful - please feel free to lock if this is now not allowed

audi tt ......................oh thats not there lol

i was interested in teh 4 mo last time it was up for sale,but he wouldn't do me a deal we the g60 :(

if its for your lass then let her decide,then if it goes wrong theres only one person to blame :)

so they did a 24v V6 4 mo that wasn't an .:R32? I'm confused! If it's .:R32 or 156 it's gotta be .:R32 all day long!

Nick

Could you not get a 156 2.0 JTS slightly more power (165bhp) and torque for 2.5k? Although I'd probably still go for the 4 mo.

Just done some wikipedia- ing. Never realised they did a 2.9 VR 4 mo, I always thought the .:R32 was the only V6 MKIV golf. That said my golf knowledge does tail off sharply after the MKIII!

NIck

Just done some wikipedia- ing. Never realised they did a 2.9 VR 4 mo, I always thought the .:R32 was the only V6 MKIV golf. That said my golf knowledge does tail off sharply after the MKIII!

NIck

2.8 24v V6 giving 204bhp standard if memory serves me right. 8)

hi,

If you like not driving your car and spending most of the time ring round for parts etc. then the alfa all the way otherwise it would be the golf for me.

I had a 147, it was a great looking car nice to drive and fairly fast but it was always in the dealers being fixed and that was after a wait for parts and no courtesy car. The dealer service is rubbish, and the cost of dealer sourced price are a bit steep.

As always it is personal opinion but that is the experience I had with an Alfa But as Top gear said you can't call yourself a car entusiast until you have owned an Alfa.

Ian

I wonder which one Stan thinks you should buy? :lol:

I'd go for the 4mo all day long. In fact if it was a 3dr I'd probably have had that by now.

Looks like Sarah has ruled out Stans Golf - she likes the car and knows it will be a good 'un because its been owned by Stan but the mileage is too high for her - doesn't bother personally but shes doing the typical woman thing of thinking about resale value before she has even bought it.

Looks like Sarah has ruled out Stans Golf - she likes the car and knows it will be a good 'un because its been owned by Stan but the mileage is too high for her - doesn't bother personally but shes doing the typical woman thing of thinking about resale value before she has even bought it.

And the resale on an 'uber reliable motor' like any Alfa :wink: is gonna be good? They're probably only low mileage cos they've been in the garage all the time :lol: . I'd take the 4mo Golf any day 8)

And the resale on an 'uber reliable motor' like any Alfa :wink: is gonna be good? They're probably only low mileage cos they've been in the garage all the time :lol: . I'd take the 4mo Golf any day 8)

The man has a valid and interesting point. :D

TBH the 4motion is not really going to depreciate that much. Ive owned one and it was the best all roand car Ive had in terms of having a bit of fun and day to day use. It being a 5dr helps a lot. I was tempted to punt my Tdi for it as you are getting a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Saying that ive always loved the Alfa's but for an everyday car you wont beat the Golf. Just sort out the handling and your done.

I'd love to own an Alfa at some point but I still think I'd go for a Golf V6 4Motion over anything other than a really decent Alfa (like a GTV V6, Brera or something!).

Forget about resale values, I have worked for a few different car dealers and none of them would give book price for alfas because they know they wont sell and their trouble.

Stick with a trusty (mostly)reliable VW

My 2p

how much you got to spend?? i actually went to look at this very car last week http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-53-Audi-A3-3 ... 240%3A1318

its 100% legit, i even did an HPI report on it and the guy is open to offers around 6.5k, next year i'm going to get one and then decide where the pagparts manifold will go.

Bargain!! - can't believe it, must be a catch. :nono:

166 Press car - only wi' 2 yrs warranty - 1 to burn & 1 to sell on! :norty:

[but can you afford to lose all those hassle filled hours from your life?]

A cherished/cosseted 24v 4M - very civilised. :D

Your heart might saw Alfa with their looks but head says MK4 4Motion all the way, well to me anyways, even at high mileage one like Stan's.

I am seriously considering a A3 3.2 Quattro for my next car, total bargain alongside / compared to the R32 and it's basically the same car (actually more power by 10BHP), might not look as nice or as aggresive but they actually drive and handle better (I have driven them both). Bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing.