coolrado

How to identify dead top mounts.

Whats the correct torque when tightening the top nut for a g60 top mount?

Also i read somewhere that a small bit of grease should be applied to the rubber area that come's in contact with the body of the car to prevent noise!?

Is this correct??

I'm not really sure if I've missed something in this thread, but what are good/bad top mounts meant to look like? I've got a few weird steering issues going on at the moment, my top mounts are about 4 years/ 35,000 miles old but look in good condition to my eyes.

Can anyone tell me if these are good or knackered?

Nearside:

IMG_0267.jpg

then Offside:

IMG_0268.jpg

The rubber part of the mount tends to compress from all the pounding. That's certainly not an usual sight on a VR6. Can you feel any play in the bearing if you push the wheel up and down (jacked up)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

I find worn bearings cause a pull to the left when accelerating and pulls back to the right when braking.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Sorry if they have been posted before but I can't find any info if they have, has anyone got the part numbers for the bits I would need to use the VR6 style top mounts/bearings?

I have the top mounts and bearings and will be fitting koni top adjustable coilovers.

Sorry if they have been posted before but I can't find any info if they have, has anyone got the part numbers for the bits I would need to use the VR6 style top mounts/bearings?

I have the top mounts and bearings and will be fitting koni top adjustable coilovers.

Did I ask a stupid question?

Hi guys this is a dead top mount right?

4ed21b8f.jpg

1612321a.jpg

Drivers side is still fine.

d1a63870.jpg

The passenger side mount as above happened after fitting new wheels a couple days ago... :(

My passenger side topmount looks like the pictures of buggered ones shown... I can turn the top plate bit freely by hand with the vehicle on the ground, and the thread turns too.... is this normal and is it just the topmount thats gone? I'm running coilovers on a 16V...

Do these look ok to you guys???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72779[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72780[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72782[/ATTACH]

Cheers!

Ok guys, I've had a good look through this thread and others too. I've just ordered a set of Bilstein B12s, and I'll be changing the top mounts at the same time. I'd like to order them soon, but can't find a definitive answer as to which to go for. G60/Mk3/Mk4/Vr6 etc........

Where is best to source them? Reading this thread they're uber expensive from VW, so what should I get?

I want compliance but not stiffness so I don't want poly rubbers. I'll get top plates too. Rear mounts I was going to get the Lemforder Kit from AVS spares unless anyone has any better suggestions?

Thanks all. :thumbleft:

I got mine from g-werks but they've folded. I'll dig the invoice out this afternoon and hopefully it'll have a make on them. They've been perfect for the last 20,000 miles and still look/feel good.

No not yet Sean. Just going by the posts a couple of pages back, with them being £50 odd + vat each! And that was a couple of years ago! :eek: I may well give em a call though to find out exactly.

From my service history book, July 14. O357 412 331A - Mounting - 20.83 each and I was given 10% discount. That was from a dealer and not TPS too. Rear mounts were obsolete.

Checked the paperwork. Mine were dealer, £45 for the pair. It was spring plates I got from g-weeks.

Ok guys, I've had a good look through this thread and others too. I've just ordered a set of Bilstein B12s, and I'll be changing the top mounts at the same time. I'd like to order them soon, but can't find a definitive answer as to which to go for. G60/Mk3/Mk4/Vr6 etc........

Where is best to source them? Reading this thread they're uber expensive from VW, so what should I get?

I want compliance but not stiffness so I don't want poly rubbers. I'll get top plates too. Rear mounts I was going to get the Lemforder Kit from AVS spares unless anyone has any better suggestions?

I used these Sean when I had my B12 Kit fitted, no problem with fit or quality so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Lemforder-Febi-Front-Top-Mount-Kits-VW-Mk3-Golf-Passat-Sharan-Corrado-VR6-/150769583498

Thanks all. :thumbleft:

I used these Sean when I had my B12 Kit fitted, no problem with fit or quality so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Lemforder-Febi-Front-Top-Mount-Kits-VW-Mk3-Golf-Passat-Sharan-Corrado-VR6-/150769583498

Ian.

For future reference, I ordered them from TPS today.

Top mounts (357 412 331A) £21.46 + VAT each. These are negative bearings though.

Bearings are (1J0 412 279) and are £7.45 + VAT each.

I also got the top plate which the top nut secures to, although don't have part number unfortunately. These were £7.42 + VAT each.

I'm having trouble with 16v top mounts whilst replacing the Koni top adjustables and H&R springs on my car with new parts. It's a 94 2.0 16v with a 9A engine.

With Febi top mounts fitted, the lower metal part of the top mount pushes through the rubber part and when on the ground it looks like the pictures of all the worn out top mounts on this thread. The top spring plate sits about 15mm above the turret which looks wrong to me. The spring plate was always flush with the turret when using genuine top mounts.

The original top mounts have the part number 357 412 331 (note the lack of A). After some serious googling there appears to be a single one of these on German Ebay, but no other genuine ones around. VR6 top mounts are 357 412 331A and genuine ones are still available.

Has anyone tried fitting VR6 top mounts and spring plates to a 16v? Are the dimensions of VR6 and 16v springs the same or should I try the vwheritage top mounts to see if they are any better?

Don't you just love these cars?

Cheers,

Neil

I thought I'd post this as valuable information if anyone else is in the same situation. You can run a 16v on VR6 top mounts, I found the information over on ClubGti including the required part numbers.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?238928-MK3-top-mount-part-numbers-pics-for-MK2

It sits a little higher at the front than on 16v top mounts, but worth the peace of mind for running genuine parts. Goes round corners rather well now (Koni shocks, H&R springs). It's noticeably better than when running the 12+ year old Konis and H&Rs.

Neil