moneypit23

Moneypit's Twilight Violet VR6 - MOT time

Well here it is, the fourth VW and the second Corrado i have owned.

1995 Twilight Violet VR6 a credit to its former owners (Seayem aka Carl) and i intend to keep it that way. :salute:

In true Corrado style i was £90 poorer before i even got home after a pitstop for a battery and fuel but i expected this so not to worry.

Anyway, no mods planned except swapping the stereo for the new one in my other car, if ain't broke...

Hopefully me and Jon will get to more shows now he doesn't have to drive all the time :lol:

Kate

Edited by moneypit23

Nice to see it in your possesion Kate, and hope it gives you many hassle free miles :grin:

:(

I can't understand why i have such bad luck with cars.

My other Corrado needed a rebuild after about 6 weeks of ownership and was never out of the garage after that but i did 50k miles in it and still enjoyed most of them.

I bought this VR in the hope of a relatively easy life but now this one is pushing me to the edge and i'm losing the will to live almost.

Somebody drove into the door on friday and dented it and the (what i thought was minor) starting issue has now escalated into rings, chains, tensioners etc...

I apologise if i sound like i'm feeling sorry for myself but this is the absolute last thing i need right now.

Kate

Somebody drove into the door on friday and dented it and the (what i thought was minor) starting issue has now escalated into rings, chains, tensioners etc...

Oh bugger, sorry to hear about that. :(

So how has a minor starting issue escalated to all that work? Is this advice from a garage? What exactly are the starting issues?

One day it just wouldn't start first time.

Took more and more turns to start when cold (fine when warm) until saturday when it took ageees. Did start eventually.

I have a video of it but Jon has my camera in his car.

Runs perfectly fine when it does start though.

I bought this VR in the hope of a relatively easy life but now this one is pushing me to the edge and i'm losing the will to live almost.

Famous last words with a corrado! :D Mines the same but when it does work boy does it put a smile on my face and thats the part you have to focus on :wink: If they were c##p to drive we just wouldn't put ourselves through it :D

Good luck

Terry

Took more and more turns to start when cold (fine when warm) until saturday when it took ageees. Did start eventually.

Could well be the temp sender on the engine. About £35 to replace :)

Could well be the temp sender on the engine. About £35 to replace :)

Yup, sounds feasible.

Do you access to VAG-com, or indeed someone close who has it?

Andy at PSI tuning thinks its low compression in cylinders caused by worn rings.Does that sound feasable? And the chains/tensioner etc is if it needs doing, theres no noise from the chains so i imagine they will be ok.

Andy at PSI tuning thinks its low compression in cylinders caused by worn rings.Does that sound feasable? And the chains/tensioner etc is if it needs doing, theres no noise from the chains so i imagine they will be ok.

compression test should show this up easily enough mate.

Yeah think it did fella the rings needed doing as they were sticking causing low compression! Chains got done, clutch got done new head gasket and full service.. It runs sweet and is the quietest vr i have ever heard!!

Yeah think it did fella the rings needed doing as they were sticking causing low compression! Chains got done, clutch got done new head gasket and full service.. It runs sweet and is the quietest vr i have ever heard!!

They are lovely and quiet and smooth when they've had the chains etc sorted aren't they?

Nice to hear it's going again.

It started out as a simple job swapping the radiator neck/connecting piece for one which wasn't cracked.

10 minutes i thought as i skipped away from my local friendly stealer :clap:

However, being a Corrado things were never going to be that easy were they? Why oh why did VW not spend a few pence more on some stainless steel screws?

Result:-

whole new radiator which i suppose needed changing anyway

discovery of broken headlight and grille clips (surprise surprise :wink: )

lots of rust treatment and hammerite

At least its done now and i can give it a good polish and show off the nicely repaired dents in the doors :D