fla

Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

thanks for that James. You couldnt by any chance send me a pic of the bracket on your car, as i have a few from Zaks but it looks like the cables are vertical rather than horizontal. It could also be as simple as the cable being twisted or caught in the heat shield. Also, should the rubber spacers on the slector cables at the end of the heatshield be visible from the engine or hidden in the heat shield (if that makes sense)?

Ive just looked at mine and its the same as what you have! just shows i dont pay attention sometimes :camp: The cables sit ontop of each other like your bracket.

Dont know about the rubber rings on the cable,im sure they are to keep the cables away from the tunnel,not sure if this is a problem tho.

When you say to short...im what way? can you not just pull them untill they fit or have you locked off the gearshift from mooving?

No worries, happens to the best of us!

Its just as though the cables are just a bit too short - ie there is not enough slack to pull the bracket forwards to sit on the mounting holes. I've not done anything to the gearshift, but maybe the cables are crossed or twisted. I thought of taking teh cables out of te bracket, fitting the bracket and then reclipping the cables in, but it sort of amounts to the same thing.

I didnt get to do anything on the car yesterday, but i'll jack it up hopefully this evening and check the pipes. The gearbox is about 3cm higher than the mounts, so that may also be an issue, but i would have thought that there would be sufficient slack in the cables to take this up?

hi there fla hows it going pal lovin the look off them clocks any info on where to get them from and how much has you know have simular colour 60....and i like :nuts: :grin:

clocks are just a printed version of the 'Andis white dials' somewhere on the forum. I swopped the colours over instead of the white. The blue lighting was three leds per clock - a lad was selling some a while back on here. he seems to ahve disappeared now though, unfortunately. These were a direct replacement for the bulbs and filters. Switches, i just swopped the bulbs for blue leds.

The problem with the gear selector is as per teh pics below and i am suspecting its because the engine is raised above the level of the car. Could anyone check and see if they have any slack in the selector cables that would take up an engine rise of about 5 cm? You just cannot pull the bracket any further over the holes

clocks are just a printed version of the 'Andis white dials' somewhere on the forum. I swopped the colours over instead of the white. The blue lighting was three leds per clock - a lad was selling some a while back on here. he seems to ahve disappeared now though, unfortunately. These were a direct replacement for the bulbs and filters. Switches, i just swopped the bulbs for blue leds.

The problem with the gear selector is as per teh pics below and i am suspecting its because the engine is raised above the level of the car. Could anyone check and see if they have any slack in the selector cables that would take up an engine rise of about 5 cm? You just cannot pull the bracket any further over the holes

cheers mate :)

no new updates, just getting pretty pissed off with this conversion as all the second hand stuff i've bought has been crap, except the pedal box. Should have bought it all from a known VR, or new, as i basically have had to do for lots of it. Lots of money wasted so far, so my advice to anyone doing this - make sure you know the quality of the items you get or else buy everything new, it will save a LOT of frustration.

OK almost there. Just a few shots showing it being closed up. The gearbox is the main thing holding me up with the gears not being able to be selected. Selector tower was fine though. I need to extend the 3 pin speedo connector as the one for the auto is just about 5cm too short.

Anyway, 2 litres of fresh tranny fluid filled into the box from ther selector tower, much easier than struggling with the 17mm not on the side. Just some electricals to do now and then its moreorless done.... Aircon does make it a good sight more tricky and frustrating to refit everything, i must say. BTW, could someone confirm that the wiring to the starter is correct? thanks

well as mentioned earlier the three pin connector to the speedo connector was too short so i cut it off and soldered some extension wires on it - hope this doesnt upset the resistance too much :nono: . Apart from that, i took my shocks to Koni who took the front two apart and should have them rebuitl for me by next week. Seals had failed on them so he is rebuilding them properly for me. Then i'll either strip them down and repaint them or send them to the powder coaters and ge ehm done in black or blue, i just dont like the yellow at all.

Reconnected the coilpack and other loose bits and pieces, fitted the BMC, which i've had for at least a year :wave: and spent about 2 hours tryinng to work out where the broken wire on teh immobiliser went. Turns out it was just one of the earths.

Removed the wires from the auto relay, these will be heatshrinked and sealed up. In the meantime, can someone please check the cables in their F connector, this is the first white one after the greens on the relay panel, bottom row. Its cable F1 i need to know the approxiamte size of - its a black cable with a red stripe on it, mine looks like around 4mm2, pic below for reference.

Wow thats full on Hasan!

I've got loads of spare heat shrink wrap if you want some for the wiring extension. I think www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu should have the wires youre after - reputable shop i've used several times now.

Do you want me to check anything on my car to help out? Not sure if you sorted the selector issue?

well if you've got time, you're more than welcome to come over - always better to have two heads rather than one!

Well the electrics were sorted out, (thanks for the wiring confirmation Leon :wink: ) filled the coolant in the car, topped up the oil turned the key and............it didnt start :(

Took me about 1 minute to realsie that, of course, the immobiliser was on and i needed to press the other button on the keyfob. One press later, turned the key and it fired up immediately :clap: A bit lumpy for the first minute as the oil started to circulate, the new FPR adjusted itself but then it ticked over brilliantly. Gearchange was slick as anything. Bit of a novelty for me, a manual Corrado. Passenger side driveshaft was removed as a precaution but this was unfounded as the gears selected very nicely. The PS pump is noisy, just needs bleeding and the sealing washers need to be replaced - does anyone know the size (crush washers)? Is this the same as the oil drain plug washer?

BMC sounds brilliant.

Anyway, i'd like to extend my thanks to Zak who provided massive assistance in starting this off and getting it underway. He spent a whole day, when only had time for a couple of hours, so thanks a lot for that. Also James (Corrado VR6 Turbo), who took numerous calls from me, at all times and helped me through the problems and hiccups along the way - hugely appreciated. So anyone wanting to do a manual to auto conversion i've got all the bits for you!

Congrats mate, bet you are well chuffed.

Love the way everyone pulls together to help one another on this forum.

Enjoy!

James - sig changed! You were correct - one clunk as the gearbox came out of gear and then totally smooth.

Leonard - Thanks, just need to do the small bits and its back on the road hopefully in the next day or two. And you're right, its one of the best things about the forum, unlike some others i've been on.

Hasan good news, glad we don't have to pull the box out and you can get on with putting your car back together :lol:

its never plain sailing - basically finished everyhting off today except a few minor bits, wanted to take it for a quick spin and i've got no reverse :censored: Circlip in the gearstick is ok, as is the connector on the gearbox end of the cables. How do you adjust the linkages to sort this out?

Took it for a drive today, damn the Corrdo is a nice car, and i ahve to admit, even better with the manual. Clutch is nice and light, i expected it to be serious tonnage. Anyway, still no reverse, we had to push it out of the drive before i took it around the block. Power steering pump needs oem bleeding still, but thats not a problem it usually works itself out. Arch liners need to be fitted too. Plus there is a bit of a clunk at the front end, so another little project to be looking at. The main thing is getting the reverse. Just got some pointers from Corrado VR6 Turbo about manual gear selection so hopefully should have this ironed out tomorrow. My has given me an ultimatum to get it off her drive by tomorrow latest :( Zak you free again after Eid namaaz?????

Should really put some more pics up, but more of a feedback at the moment. A few teething problems, the car seems to shake a little at low speed, but you only feel this on teh passenger side - might be the gearbox mount. Otherwise the BMC seems to free up the airflow nicely, power delivery is better lower down, but when i fit the new cams this will of course help it further. I'll also have to work out how to fit the new chip, but i'm not sure if this will affect the different cams?

Now it needs a good wash and polish, treating of the leather, refit the Konis, 288s, acoustic foam, climatronic, and then TURBO!

Just swopped over the steering wheel to a nice new Isotta Meg 2 that i bought about 2 years back and never fitted. Polsihed the boss up and the screw heads (sad i know :cuckoo: ), but its actually a nice wheel, comfortable to drive with and 320mm, so feels more precise. Fitted the TT accelerator pedal cover too, used some cushioned double sided on it, so i hope it doesn't fall off. Just need two clutch [strike:30aqrbtn][/strike:30aqrbtn]pedal covers now, if anyone has some in good nick?

hi mate

the steerring wheel you got form daz ( my mate )have just you'd the boss

btw you have nice rado :grin:

cheers for that. Actually its the one i've fitted. I may have another boss though, will check and let you know. I think they're only about £25-30 from Halfords, though?

just collected my rebuilt front Konis, no leaks! Good job done by Raceland based in Newbury, they're official Koni repairers. Anyway, i hate the yellow so these are being stripped down and repainted sliver or black, not sure which. Started on the rears but only managed to do teh top of one in black. Short days and lazy me on a weekend dont help! Will post some pics shortly.

Hi Hassan, just read all this as it looks like i "may" be doing the same auto-manual conversion soon myself?? so whats the most difficult part to do then??

cheers

karl

most difficult part? Well for a man with your experience none of it is especially difficult. You are already familiar with the manual setup so you'll know what will fit and what wont. I had to guess a little hence took me a bit longer. One of the mistakes i made was getting bits form different cars (eg i have a 16 clutch master and piping), some things didnt fit etc..

Hardest bit is probably getting the gearshift out from under the heatshield, those two 13mm bolts. steering column shear bolts are a bummer (i've got two if you need them). Fitting the clutch master is a bit fiddly, you need to mark the hole in the bulkhead and cut it neatly. Oh, and taking te pedal box out and fitting te manual requires lots of bad language! Give me a shout - i'd be glad to assist where i can.

bad language and corrado's just go soooo well together :lol: if i get stuck i will most def be giving you a bell mate.

some pics of the shocks, er ...shocking :wave: Started on one of the rears - the top part had a fair amount of rust so this was cleaned up with a wire brush and 240 grade emery. Then given a good clean with turps subsitute and hammerited. I'll be doing the lower portion silver. For the fronts the lowers will also be in silver with the spring support dish in black. Thought i'd also post a few of the cabin - havent come out well at all, although I thought it looked really smart in the car park this evening. Need the tt clutch pedal covers too!