Sign in to follow this  
MFP

Losing power whilst navigating rounabouts!

Hello everybody,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right section, but hoped somebody might be able to help anyway. I have a 95 VR6 and it is doing something most odd but only intermittently. Sometimes whilst driving I will get to a junction or a roundabout and all of a sudden or for no reason that I know of the power goes the steering locks up and I find myself having to quickly restart the car half way across a rounabout because the steering is locked and I'm heading toward the middle of the roundabout or the wrong lane of traffic. It only happens sometimes, but as you can tell it's actually pretty dangerous, is this an electrical fault, ECU problems or something else? Anybody else experienced this? I need to cure it obviously but don't want to spend hundreds at a garage only for them to not be able to find fault with it. Thank's

Matt :)

Have a search for stalling at junctions, think it's fairly common, possibly a ISV or a MAF fault.

Tom

Yep sure sounds like an ISV issue, fairly common on all marks of VW but worse on the VR as it is quite easy to stall at low revs.

Best bet is to try some carb cleaner through the ISV first but you will more than likely end up changing it for a better/new one.

Thank's for your reply's guys, sory to sound ignorant but what is an ISV? I freely admitt to love my car but am not he most technically minded! Cheers Matt!

iirc from previous searches, this also puts question on the crank sensor, relay 167 (fuel pump) and relay 109 (ecu)

And the MAF, and the array of engine temp sensors, and almost every other component!

Take your time working through the hits on the forum search and narrow things down. There's no single or simple answer to this.

This has happened on rare occassions in my VR (usually in the winter) and in other cars. The first you know about is the the steering goes real heavy as you normally don't realise the car has stalled. If the cars still moving and your quick you can git it to restart by releasing the clutch while in gear.

As others have said its worth cleaning the ISV as a matter of course, but as long as it dosen't happen all the time you could put it down as one of the quirks of corrado ownership :D

I keep meaning to clean out my ISV as i had this problem, still do although quite rare now after changing the MAF. But, where can you get carb cleaner from pure liquid form? I've read posts about soaking the ISV overnight in it, but the only cleaner i can find is in a spray-can?

We need to establish whether it is a power cut as the threat title suggests, or a stall, before advising he replaces a £1000 worth of sensors.

Don't forget the battery negative lead problem. I've heard of a few cases (my car included) where the negative connection wasn't done up tightly enough (cause it's the awkward one to get at) and bumps and corners could move the cable off the post and cut the power intermittantly.

carb cleaner you can get from halfords,

and yeh Kev i had exactly the same problem on my first corrado that started to happen about 2 months after the alarm was fitted, checked/swapped from a mates vr6, MAF, cleaned the ISV out, swapped coilpack, then just tightened up the negative battery lead and it worked perfectly after that.

shame the brakes didn't :(

Think this might be my problem... Could be driving along windows down, sunroof open and out of nowhere the power cuts, windows close and alarm arms itself.

Sorry for the thread hijack but sounds like might be you're issue as with a stall you'd get a hiccup or rough idle then engine cut.

Thing is the negative terminal has been done up tight as it'll go but still just slides off the post!? New cable connection anyone?

Thank's for all your reply's everybody. To answer one or two of the questions posed to me. I don't think this is the engine stalling, it doesn't feel like it. It's just that the power all of a sudden is gone. It only seems to happen when I get to a junction or a roundabout. Can somebody tell me what an MAF is and an ISV?

Cheers

Matt :)

You would know if the engine stalled - the dash would light up like a christmas tree (you do look at the dash, don't you?? ;) ) and you'd have to restart it or when you lifted the clutch there would be an almighty judder as the momentum of the car is dumped into restarting the engine..

You would know if the engine stalled - the dash would light up like a christmas tree (you do look at the dash, don't you?? ;) ) and you'd have to restart it or when you lifted the clutch there would be an almighty judder as the momentum of the car is dumped into restarting the engine..

Which is exactly what happens with mine, and how i re-start it. Actually i can't remember it stalling since i changed the MAF, but will be taking a trip down to Halfrauds for carb cleaner as my idle is quite rough and hopefully a good soaking of the ISV will cure that.