Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

ABS Pump

Had my ABS checked by 2 garages now & they both report a fault with my ABS pump. Does anyone know if they're Corrado specific? Do I have to buy a new one from the main stealer?

Thank you in anticipation

P.S. Merry Christmas

Details Chris, what are your brakes like? Do they have assistance, if they do, then the pump itself is ok. You are looking at the valve thingumajig, with all the pipes on.

The brakes have similarities with a MK3 Golf more than a LHD C or Golf.

Merry Christmas

Gavin

Brakes are fine m8, just the ABS that aint workin. So does that mean I can maybe use parts of the MK 3 golf for spares? Don't fancy paying main stealer prices.

my pump packed up and there was NO assistance..so i replaced the pump with a used one and had agro with that..in the end i called out an auto electrician and he made a good one out of the two for £60

might be worth a try..he was pretty good,theres a few sensors that can cause agro

Whilst nosing around my breakers, I discovered the MK3 Golf VR6 ABS units are the same as the Corrado ones.

ABS is for girls anyway :lol:

K

Whilst nosing around my breakers, I discovered the MK3 Golf VR6 ABS units are the same as the Corrado ones.

ABS is for girls anyway :lol:

K

Wish I had it on my Golf driver.... I'm sick of spinning the damn thing on ice on my local B roads! :roll: :lol:

aye, ABS maybe for girls, but if you've got it, its gotta work for the MOT.

Any idea what the proper name is Gav?

Sorry mate, didn't mean to be facetious.

How do they test the ABS? By locking the brake rollers and seeing if the road wheels lock?

K

lol, thats OK dude!

Not too sure how they test it, some kind of electrical test I guess. I know its not working cos i tried braking heavily and skidded :oops:

The ABS light does the self test thing then once travelling at approx +5mph the light comes back on and stays on. This is to indicate that there is a fault somewhere. It is relatively easy to test the sensors if you have the correct tools apparently.

Do you have any idea what I need? i.e. the correct name for it so I can ring round the scrappy's?

ta

Chris

to test the sensors...unplug each one and take a reading with a ohm meter..they should all be the same,if one is not then its faulty

the mot test will just check the light goes out..take out the bulb if needed

When the road wheels lock, is it a massive skid as if you have no ABS at all? Do you not feel any pulsing on the pedal at all?

I'm not too sure which bit you need to be honest. You've got the pump, obviously, and the brake distribution unit which is the alloy lump with all the pipes coming out of it, which I assume has a load of valves inside it. Might be worth taking the whole lot from a Golf VR6 to replace yours with? I asked my breaker how much he charges for the whole shabang and he said he rarely has any requests for them, but £75.

The control unit for the ABS is behind the passenger kick panel, has this area been disturbed at all recently? Perhaps to trace a water leak?

K

Not sure on the VW name. Off to bed now in case Santa doesn't bother with our house.

For the MOT they should check that the light comes on and goes off after a few seconds. Taking the bulb out isn't an option at a vigilant MOT station. They have a chart that tells them the procedure for most cars with ABS.

Luckily mine works ok until you set off up the road. The brake rollers don't go fast enough for it to fail!! Been thru 2 tests as it is.

I'll get you the name off ETKA in the next coupla days.

Merry Christmas to all

Gavin

If two garages have diagnosed a pump fault, asurely they must of done a fault code diagnostic check, which would of told them if there was a problem with the wheel sensors, and which is the offending wheel/s.

I'm in the same situation, mine had loads of ABS related fault codes, but when cleared from the memory they didn't reappear. But the ABS light comes on under heavy braking and definately does not work.

I think If it was a wheel sensor the ABS light would come on and stay on, not go out when you pull away?

You need to have your fault codes read, then reset, then read again after a few days driving/hard braking to see which codes re-appear.

ABS light does the self test thing then once travelling at approx +5mph the light comes back on and stays on. This is to indicate that there is a fault somewhere. It is relatively easy to test the sensors if you have the correct tools apparently.

Do you have any idea what I need? i.e. the correct name for it so I can ring round the scrappy's?

ta

Chris

Unless someone has done a VAGCOM style test on your ABS system and got the codes for you, I'd be VERY dubious that this is a pump fault...

If it's a pump fault, I'd expect the light to come on instantly (Ie, never go out) when you turn the ignition on... The self test primes, fires and interrogates the pump to make sure it's OK before it does any of the other checks... By going out, the light is telling you there's no problems with the pump... :?

If the light comes back on again when you are moving at 5MPH+ then you have a faulty wheel sensor (probably one of the fronts) which will cost you the grand total of about £40 + half an hour to fit...

Get the ABS light on, get it to someone with VAGCOM, and find out EXACTLY which code is put out by the system... Then you'll be certain of what the fault is, rather than going with a garage's "gut feeling".... :roll:

Good luck... 8)

You need to have your fault codes read, then reset, then read again after a few days driving/hard braking to see which codes re-appear.

G60's don't have a fault memory in the ECU... If you have an ABS fault, the only time you can read which fault it is, is when the light is on and the car is still running... Turn off the ignition and the fault is cleared... :?

Took me bloody ages to get the car to VAG with the light on to find out what the fault was when mine went faulty the first time... :? :roll:

G60's don't have a fault memory in the ECU... If you have an ABS fault, the only time you can read which fault it is, is when the light is on and the car is still running... Turn off the ignition and the fault is cleared... :?

Took me bloody ages to get the car to VAG with the light on to find out what the fault was when mine went faulty the first time... :? :roll:

Cheers, I wasn't aware of that, maybe my garage aren't either!

When I last had it in they replaced a wheel sensor and everything seemed fine. Now occassionally the light will come back on when I set off down the road, but it only happens every two weeks or so. So you think its unlikely to be a pump fault?

Could it be a intermittent fault on another wheel sensor that isn't get picked up by VAGCOM?

cheers

Yeah, if the pump fails the brakes have no assistance. Then you will need a right leg like Arnie to stop. Intermittent lights are most likely to be a sensor.

Gavin

Yeah, if the pump fails the brakes have no assistance. Then you will need a right leg like Arnie to stop. Intermittent lights are most likely to be a sensor.

Gavin

If the Pump fails you wont need anymore pressure to stop than normal, Pull the ABS pump fuse and try it for yourself. the ABS pump is there for the ABS assistance.

ABS is designed in such a way that if it fails you can still stop.

There are two different ABS units fitted to the Corrado IIRC, (i've got one in the garage in a box). You will need your chassie number and the old faithful parts CD to confirm which unit you have.

Now the ABS has its own brain and the fault codes are stored in that not the ECU, the ABS brain in my LHD C is located under the plastic cover near the bonnet pull, i would of thought its on the same side on RHD models to, as the ABS system is still on the right side of the engine bay on both LHD and RHD models even though the cylinder in on the left hand side of the engine bay on RHD models

Gavin

You're thinking about the servo Gav... The ABS pump is a seperate item.

Intermittent faults which only occur when moving could also be the mechanical part of the ABS sensor (the bit wot spins that the sensor detects!) or dodgy wiring. (had both on my C :roll: )

If the light goes out after the ignition is turned on, and only comes back on over 6mph BEFORE you've pressed the brake peddle, it can't be a pump fault as the pump has not yet been used and has passed the initial power on test.

Gavin

You're thinking about the servo Gav... The ABS pump is a seperate item.

Intermittent faults which only occur when moving could also be the mechanical part of the ABS sensor (the bit wot spins that the sensor detects!) or dodgy wiring. (had both on my C :roll: )

If the light goes out after the ignition is turned on, and only comes back on over 6mph BEFORE you've pressed the brake peddle, it can't be a pump fault as the pump has not yet been used and has passed the initial power on test.

Sorry fellas, I was on about LHD Golfs and Rallyes and American Cs. G60jet, I would have expected yours to have the same setup as me, wihout a servo. I forgot RHD stuff is like a MK3 Golf.

If the pump fails on my car there is no assistance.

Apologies if I added confusion to the thread.

:oops:

Gavin

Sorry fellas, I was on about LHD Golfs and Rallyes and American Cs. G60jet, I would have expected yours to have the same setup as me, wihout a servo. I forgot RHD stuff is like a MK3 Golf.

If the pump fails on my car there is no assistance.

Apologies if I added confusion to the thread.

:oops:

Gavin

there is a dome like cylinder on the right hand side of the pump that is the servo i think from what i understand of the ABS system

I had mine back on the VAGCOM this week, It displayed a fault related to a voltage problem. (ABS light comes on about 1-2 times a week while driving)

The Garage told me to look out for wiring faults/bad connections/earths, and also to try replacing both ABS relays (posn. 15 & 16 I think, will confirm) with genuine VAG relays.